32ZP18 - Update!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by simon1, Feb 5, 2002.

1. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I managed to get to speak to Mr Lancaster today at the Toshiba factory in Plymouth.

The new version '32ZP18Q' is in production right now. He confirmed also, "that it does not suffer from the 'shadow effect' like the 32ZP18P" - the darker/lighter sides of the screen.

He added, "it may be quite some weeks before these sets filter into retailers".

I hope this has helped those of you who posting in the other thread.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this apply to the 36" as well ????

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Can't say, I'm afraid.

I only aked about 32"

Sorry.

4. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :eek: Hi,awaiting delivery of 32inch Toshiba but after reading all the horror stories don't know if it was such a good idea !. Hope to hook it up with Tosh sd200e dvd player,so will probably be back on asking the best way of setting things up ?. By the way this is a great site.

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 32" version suffers less than the 36" version and for all the faults mentioned, it is still a lovely tv (if you don't get one of the sets that takes the faults to the extreme).

6. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Trying to keep optimistic, should be in buisness next thursday will keep you posted.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

I have spoken with HoF in london today regarding the delivery of my 32zp. I was told they have been in contact with the toshiba plymouth factory and are expecting their delivery next week.

After reading this thread i am hopefull it will be the fabled 'Q' version.

8. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, I looked at this and couldn't understand why or when I posted this, thought I'd really lost the plot.

Two Couch Potato's:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Steve

9. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    My first 36ZP showed all the problems ever mentioned (and then some) and I was gutted. :(

I have now had the replacement set a week now and could not ask for anything more.

The bright sides are still there but only if you are running with the brightness and contrast turned way up (preset mode 1). Once set up properly, you can't make them out unless you turn all the room lights out and look for them.

The dirty screen/ dark bands do seem to go after time.

The geometry is spot on.

It doesn't buzz and even with the sound turned up loud, the picture doesn't shake.

The only problem is the issue with ITV1 but I can live with that as I am not convinced it is a fault with the TV.

It is NOT a Q model but hey it works fine and is still better than anything else I have seen in this size :D

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the ITV1 effect for the first time during the week. It's almost like it is dropping frames.

Only happens on ITV1 though.

11. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heheheh...as you can get here on your chair it seems the perfect place for couch potatoes to hang out....

Networkguy,

great mate, im pleased to see that theyre not all plagued with problems

12. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    There seems to be quite a bit of excitement about a Q model for 32 and 36Zp tvs. I have spoken to three Toshiba engineers about this, and have been told that none of the improvements people seem to be hoping for will be there. According to these engineers, the three changes for the Q model will be:

1) The ability to change the PAL settings will no be a customer option, rather than having to be done by an engineer.......you can take your TV to Italy with you :)

2) Text/TV split screen will not be available.....it's back to mixed mode option

3)Text sub-pages will now be stored in memory .......although this may apply to some pre-Q models too

As far as the "dark bars" problem goes, since this is an artifact of the manufacturing process, it will not be changed.......Toshiba are not about to re-tool their factory to fix it.

My own 36ZP has very faint dark bars down each side of the screeen.....but I have to really look to find them. Maybe those with particularly bad ones might get an exchange for a better one, but they are always going to be there to some extent.

I have seen many other 36" TVs, and the more I see, the more I am convinced that I made a good choice buying the Toshiba....give me faint dark bars rather than scrolling Sony bars any day.

Maybe those overly disappointed by what I consider to be minor issues on myn Toshiba should opt for a smaller screen. Remember, 36" is pushing this technology to it's limit, so it's not going to be near perfect for some time.

Or, alternatively, spend a few hours watching Sony's bars scrawling across a screen, or look at the amount of noise on a RP TV, or the lack of contrast and the amount of colour bleeding on a Plasma screen. Could be you would return to view your Toshiba with a new fondness :)

13. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    But why?

What are ITV putting in their signal that no other channel does?

As I don't watch ITV normally, I am not too bothered (it's the wife watching Emmerdale) but I am curious to know what the cause is.

BTW I am assuming that you are viewing ITV1 via Sky digital when this happens.

14. m@rk

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I have been told exactly the same by Toshibas' product manager for this set and a couple of Tosh engineers. The tube (which is where these problems lie) is EXACTLY the same.

15. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am, and it doesn't make any sense. Like you , i don't watch itv much either. F1 and thats about it.

16. DaleL

DaleL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does this tv perform on Sky & standard tv? I`ve got a Tosh
    28ZDO6B 100HTZ & I`m very disapointed with the picture quality.
    Picture seems to be ok sometimes & "blocky/fuzzy"at others.
    The tv has already been replaced once & an improvement was noticed,but lately it seems to be getting worse. :confused:

17. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skydigital is excellent but the internal tuner is not. However, now all the channels are on skydigital, i find no need for the internal tuner.