1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32ZD26 rainbows

Discussion in 'TVs' started by NAI, Jan 4, 2004.

1. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just received my Tosh 32ZD26p. all was honky-dory, then came the problems. any help would be greatly appreciated... calling bibooo?

right, i have some slight geometry issues. the picture tilt is fine the only very minor problem is that in the top right hand corner there is some bending out when viewing square boxes (THX optimiser) also its vertical sides bend very slightly inwards when in 4:3 or 14:9 mode. but these can probably be corrected in the service menu? but its not too important anyway since i dont use the 4:3 or 14:9 modes :laugh: and when a normal picture is being displayed the slight bend can not be noticed.

the main problem is this:
    when viewing a source through the RGB socket on the back there is a very visible rainbow effect on the left hand side of the screen, when its dark.
    bars about an inch wide in colours green, blue, red, green, blue, red, green, then it fades out in the centre of the screen.
    its weird though, as it only happens on the wide setting on progressive mode?? on any other setting or scan mode the pattern is not visible. its not even the source as ive tried two different cables and two different sources (dvd player and PS2.) its not a speaker problem either as I have completely removed my speakers from near the TV.

its annoying because the TV doesn’t seem to have any of the other faults that have been extensively listed on these very forums.

please can anyone help or has anyone had this problem before??
    im very happy with the TV in all other aspects, especially with the progscan and the removal of scan lines. however terrestrial is a little soft/blurry but that’s only because of my poor reception unfortunately.

im going to give tosh a call to see if they know a fix or if it’s a serious problem. then try and get a replacement from digitaldirect or get an engineer out.

thanks
    NAI

2. wh@ssup!

wh@ssup!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to return my toshiba 28ZD26P and get a refund after the engineer came out and said he couldn't fix the tilit in my picture because toshiba was now gluing the assembly together so he couldn't alter it. He also said the picture was at the limit of parameters set by toshiba (which in my opinion are a little large) but agreed there was a very noticable tilit. He also said he had seen several sets of the same model as mine with exactly the same problem.

This is the third and final set I will be trying - the first one didn't turn on, the second was so badly damaged by the delivery company they wouldn't even take it off the lorry. I'm sorry to return it as the picture was very good but I can no longer be bothered by the hassle of multiple faulty sets.

I will just have to live with my tiny (but fault free) 21 inch 4:3 television just now.

wh@ssup!

3. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    agh!!

it happens with component cables too. the rainbow is almost on top of the picture, it washes out the blacks too.

oh and by the by, is there some way to reduce white levels but keep the brightness?? i think the whites may be a bit too white... or it may just be me adjusting to this new set.

4. RED_Martin

RED_Martin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey wh@ssup,

I'm without my 32zd26p at the moment too.

I'm also getting by with a fault free 10yr old Sanyo 21" with a pretty darn good picture.

Makes ya wonder don't it?

5. wongers

wongers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How the £$%^&* can whites be too white ???????????????????????????

6. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :laugh: i dont know! sometimes they seem to loose detail and shine above the other colours... it may not be set up correctly though... i kinda stopped playing with it when i found the fault.

7. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :D :D !!!!WOOOHOOOOO!!!! :D :D

right then; after phoning tosh, they had no clue what the problem may be, i trawled through some of the older threads on the 32zd26... and i found the service menu. my my were some of the factory setting just wrong....

there was a setting which was controlling the wideness of the picture and after reducing it by about 15 points! the bars faded and i could now see the edges of the screen. plus the colours and brightness settings were also much improved across all scan modes and aspect angles. result!!

and WOW. Ice Age looks fudging amazing!!!! i can really see why this set got good reviews. my jaw dropped at certain points...
    and i thought a TV this big would show the faults with some games, wrong. i was trying games that were old but all look amazing. as long as i keep them in 50hz modes to run with the 50hz prog scan they look niiiice. 60hz seems to mess up the inbuilt progscan somewhat.

the only problems i was having, was now that i have set the geometry it up for RGB DVD... the normal screen for my anologue signal is wrong... :laugh:

so can i set the wide aspect up to watch dvds and play games though the RGB cables?
    and then something like super live with different settings to watch normal tv??

i supose one fix could be to get a second telewest digi box and sort the picture out with RGB and wide setting. but costs.

also with some of the factory settings being so far off do you think it could have damaged the tube in anyway??