1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32ZD26 + 520 or 963SA = ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jayb, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am sure this has been covered before and I have gone through alot of threads on this site, but as I am a newbie I am still a little unsure

The question

I am almost sure that I am going to buy a 32ZD26. I have done some homework on this and realise that it may have a few faults(as does everything i've checked) but feal for the money I can't really do much better....and it has Progressive Scan NTSC

so

Do I go for the 520 with NTSC progressive scan for £200?

or

Do I go for the 963SA £350. Does the PAL crack turn PAL signals into a NTSC PS output, or is it still a PAL output? Would I benifit from this feature with a 32" ZD or should I save my money and go for the 520:confused:

My knickers are in a twist:eek: and I need some advice.

2. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Anybody :confused:

3. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The PAL hack for the 963SA can be set to output in NTSC format but loads of people have said the picture quality is very poor and they much prefer interlaced PAL over progressive PAL -> NTSC converted.

The 520 is a damn fine player, I've got the 510 and like it, however I'm being niggled by how much better a picture I could get with a better player so I'll probably be changing it soon!

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Where exactly have you seen this?

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    regardless of the quality of pal->Progressive NTSC, the fact still remains that the 963 outputs progressive PAL and progressive NTSC. The 520 only outputs progressive NTSC.

So at least you have the choice, and should you upgrade, or buy a projector, you won't have to replace your DVD player to play PAL discs.

I'd go with the 963 (I did!)

6. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chalk and cheese here - The Philips player is much higher quality alround (Lip sync issue aside).

I have a Tosh 520 in bedroom and Philips as main player. Philips is sharper, more vibrant colours and imho has better multichannel sound.

If you may get a pj then go for Philips machine. If not Tosh is a good player at £200.

BTW Philips player can be had for £308 inc vat and delivery from Robertsons.

Cheers

7. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
  8. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input so far

Just to throw something in the mix

am I right in saying that the 520 will not play DVD copies or SVCD
    and the 963 will. I have checked a few threads and get some conflicting views

Also just when I thought it was down to these two a friend of mine suggested the 656, but I think I am right in saying no P scan on the 656
    Am I right in saying that the lip sync issue is only on layer changes or can it effect large chunks of the movie. I have a PS2 and I get alot of lip sync problems sometimes for 5-10 minutes of the film(part of the justifacation for getting a stand alone DVD player), if the 963 had the same problem I would not be chuffed:mad:

Again, thanks for your input

9. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jayb

If you do a search you will see that some 963 owners have had a serious lip sync issue.

This is more than a few minutes around layer changes.

I too noticed a slight problem but it is only slight and most owners don't have an issue.

Able to correct mine with careful setting of the amp delay times and master audio delay

Pioneer 656 is not prog scan but a fine player nonetheless

If I were you (no pj as yet) I would go for the Tosh - not as high specced but a reliable machine with NTSC prog scan and a bargain at £200 - spend the saving on some more DVD's!!!

Cheers

Tim

10. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally bought the Tosh 520. Connected it up to my new 32Zd26 (Delivered today) via component leads, picture is briiliant and it also plays LOTR2 on DVD-R & James Bond SVCD (Not that I agree with piracy, it was done in the name of research......honest)

Thanks for any input, another satisfied customer thanks to the AV forum...:smashin:

11. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    jay

what is the picture like on the progressive scan? is it cinema like?

12. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evans

I havn't got any r1 DVD's as yet other than LOTR 2 but this is obviously a bootleg, I have to say even with this the picture is excellent the main difference I have noticed switching between Interlaced and progressive is the extra depth of colour you acheive with progressive and even on a 32" TV you can still appreciate the added sharpness and detail of the picture.......:D I can imagine the difference between Prog & int with a PJ is 10 fold.

I have to add that the colour you get from the 32ZD26, even with a poor analogue signal is amazing and I still havnt had time to set it up properly yet

A friend is coming around tonight with a r1 DVD & I should have time to tweek the picture, I will report.

Overall the Tosh 520 seemed to be an excellent chioce to go with the 32zd26.....:smashin: