32wlt66 ...i must be doing something wrong

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by dave_angel, Aug 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. dave_angel

dave_angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have just got this Tosh but am pulling my hair out at 2 things i would like resolve.

They should be pretty basic but my non-techy brain is not coping with them.

Firstly, how do i get the pc out to work. have got a toshiba m70 laptop plugged in via the vga to vga route. when i try and activate "monitor and notebook" to work the Tv seems to flash a black screen when i am in the PC mode on the TV.

Secondly, i have got my analogue aerial plugged in direct to tv but would like to use my amp/5.1 for surround sound for the sound but i can't get this to work.I have tried every combination of connections into the amp but allto no avail

Thanks for help

:lease:

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    The Laptop issue I do not know and really is down to the laptop but do make sure that the output is at 1024x768, the Tosh from my experience does not do low res very good.
    The audio is easy, read your instructions there is a setting to turn off. Read page 6 bottom left hand paragraph.

3. dave_angel

dave_angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Andy.

I have tried that and it does stop the sound from tv speakers but i still don't get sound from amp system, i don't think i am treating the output correctly to the amp. I know it sounds simple but i have tried all alternatives

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Just had another look at the instructions and although similar to my 37WLT58 which has 3 Scarts an audio and sub-woofer out it should work, are you sure you have connected to right audio pair on the TV the one that says Audio fixed and variable.
    Also once I got this connection working (which was first time) I did not have to make any changes, both sound from TV and AV amp works.
    What AV Amp have you got and what input are you using.

5. dave_angel

dave_angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Andy.

I have tried them in all combinations on both the TV output and amp input.

The unit i am plugging into is a pioneer nsdv99.

Any thoughts are welcome

6. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    use scart out to amp
    set tv setting for scart output as "monitor"

that should solve your problem :)

7. dave_angel

dave_angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Yeah - i think i might have found a way round the amp thing now - there might be some settings on the amp that i need to tweak to allow the audio as well as video to come through the scart cable.

Am struggling to change the PC settings via the TV's menu. The "PC" settings in the menu is "greyed out" so i don't think i can get in to change it.

I have been using a vga-vga connection - would it be better to try an s-vhs to VGA connection, and if so has any one seen any of those cables??

8. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    VGA to VGA should work there is no reason for it not to. 100's of people have connected this way. S-Video will give a lousy picture.
    The only issue some people have is using Laptops. Make sure you are not using a refresh rate greater than 60Hz to start with and the output resolution is no great than 1360x768 in ANY direction.
    WHAT IS your screen res and refresh set to currently?

9. dave_angel

dave_angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well have tried all of them - even down to 800*600??

think the standard i use is 1028?*760? or something like that??? - have it set to 60hz too....this is why i am so confused

10. gavin77

gavin77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    When using the PC Mode via the TV connection, the menu options on the TV are greyed out unless it detects either an XGA or SVGA input.

On your laptop set your screen size to 1024x768 @ 60Hz and activate the monitor output.

The flashing black screen, which I have seen on mine, is when you output a resolution the screen doesn't accept. I have also seen this with a screen postion it doesn't like i.e. it is showing an XGA image and you use the PC advanced properties to move the image left or right or up or down, and if you move it too far it starts flashing the grey/black screen.

Gavin

11. dave_angel

dave_angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gavin - yeah those were the settings i have been using - maybe i am close to the answer and just need to keep playing at ??? Have played with all the diff resolutions and seemed to have pressed and clicked on every option on both the PC and the TV.

Am i using a wrong connection?? - a male to male decent vga cable between laptop and back of wlt66? the laptop is new and doesn't have that many options in terms of fancy resolutions. it does have option to output to the "notebook and monitor" which i have tried in addition to the monitor only

12. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    try the latest drivers, then goto display properties and select [email protected], this the standard VGA resolution and should work, if it does not then you laptop isnt compatible with your tv. it should state in the manual that some laptops are incompatible.

also try a different VGA cable (or the one that came with the laptop)

13. spawndk

spawndk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    In what manual should it say that some laptops are incompatible ?
    Firstly Toshiba cannot be held responsible for the thousands of different laptops and their individual capabilities for external display or lack thereof. Secondly theres no such thing as "incompatibility with some laptops" - the Tosh monitor has a standard VGA/XGA PC input - ANY computer in the world should be able to connect through the VGA/XGA input given correct VGA/XGA screenresolutions are selected, and given that the computer has a VGA output, just as they should on any other monitor with a standard VGA/XGA input. Theres nothing hokus pokus about it.

If it doesnt, and we assume the VGA input on the Tosh is not broken, then the problem is all down to the user and/or the laptop. Either the user dont have the proper knowledge to use the computer correctly, or the computer is faulty. But never can there be "incompatibility with some laptops" thus this should not be mentioned in any manual, neither for the TV nor for the computer.

Theres no setup needed in the PC settings of the Toshiba in order to connect, the PC settings are only for adjusting the screenplacement after the connection is made. Its also not a driver issue, as we are simply talking normal VGA/XGA output, not multimonitor or anything speciel. Simply set the resolution of the laptop to 1024x768 under display settings, and set refresh to 60hz for the monitor under display settings also, then connect using a functional VGA cable, and use the keyboard function that is on most laptops to select external display. Usually by pressing and holding down the FN (function) button, and at the same pressing the monitor switch button on the keyboard until you have a black screen on the laptops own display. Dont try the dual display setting until you are sure the external display setting works.

14. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Dude seriously take a chill pill, and sit down before you hurt yourself, what the hell was all that rant about?

instead of getting all hot and bothered about it read more closely. i said
    Now if you go read the manual you will read it says on page 7 "Please note: some PC models cannot be connected to this television" in older manuals it used to say laptops

Why assume the laptops working and not the tv? tv's can break too you know!
    as i have stated and you can prove to yourself at toshibas website by reading the manual, it DOES say it can be incompatible.

While your at it read the part above which states
    "IMPORTANT NOTE: SXGA will display but it will not be to VESA standard"
    soo hmmm... TV is perfectly compatible? I dont think so
    And thats why it has to say in the manual it is not always compatible because it isnt!

While the usefulness of a keyboard button"FN and an "F" key normally" is great to switch an external display on, it doesnt always work, and telling him to use 1024x768 is also not a good idea. the reason a stated 640x480 is because it is VGA resolution, and if he has a cable that doesnt support more than VGA then it still wont work. and as the display panel is a new resolution 1360x768 may not be available to him, updating his drivers may fix this problem for him, besides it is always a good idea to start with drivers when having issues of this type

your clearly new here so take this as a lesson to read up before you shout your mouth out at another member as we dont like people who feed missinformation as fact and take on your tone

15. spawndk

spawndk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Excuse me if you feel offended, but firstly I wasnt picking on you at all or putting on a "tone" in any way, secondly everything I wrote are indeed facts.

I never suggested neither 1360x768 nor 1280x1024 since 1360x768 are not supported on the WLT66 through VGA (something you seem to be unaware of), and SXGA 1280x1024 are not to VESA standard as mentioned in the manual.

However all resolutions from VGA to XGA - thats 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 - are to VESA standard as also stated in the manual. Thus all computers including laptops that comply to VESA standards for VGA/SVGA/XGA output resolutions should be able to display on the Tosh in these resolutions.

The term in the manual stating some pc-models cannot be connected is only to cover those computers which does not output according to proper VESA standards in these resolutions, or those that does not allow displaying to external devices at all. Its not a matter of the Tosh introducing incompatibility issues when using the mentioned VESA standards from VGA to XGA. Point being that its up to the computer/laptop to output according to the VESA standards supported by the Tosh and mentioned in the manual, thus I dont really see any reason to state anything in the manual about incompatibility, cause there are no incompatibility issues as long as the supported resolutions are used.

As I said, if the computer/laptop are capable of displaying to an external computerscreen in any of these VESA compliant resolutions, it should also be able to display on the Tosh. If someone try to connect a laptop displaying a different resolution than those mentioned in the manual, then its not a really question of the Tosh being incompatible, but a question of trying to input a nonsupported resolution.

Theres aboslutely nothing wrong with your suggestion to try VGA 640x480 or to try and change VGA cable, I didnt say there was. I only tried to point out that given you read the manual and connect a computer running in one of the VESA compliant resolutions mentioned VGA/SVGA/XGA then there should be no incompatibility with some laptops, and imho stating this in manuals or forums only increase confusion and blurs any errorseeking.

Your suggestion to change VGA cable was also fine, it could be broken, but any VGA cable of today should also work with SVGA and XGA resolutions. Its highly unlikely to have a VGA only cable today, they stopped producing these in the early 90's

If the keyboard function to switch to external display does not work on the laptop, then thats not really an incompatibility problem of the Toshiba either.

PS: The "let me give you a lesson cause Ive made thousands of posts here" high horse end of your reply, lecturing "the newcomer" on behalf of the community, doesnt impress me - quite the opposite.

best regards

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    @JagoPlasma and spawndk:
    I INSIST that you stop the personal argument right here, right now.

17. spawndk

spawndk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    sure - will do - no more aguments from me, and appologies for the threaddevelopment.