32wlt58 Crackling From Speakers Problem!!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by bluemoonmcfc, Nov 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    As you can see from the thread title i am having problems with my 32wlt58, the problem being i am getting a crackling sound from the tvs speakers.

At first I thought this was a problem with my tv set so i got a replacement one delivered today, and guess what i am having the same problems with this set, so that more or less sounds like to me it is somthing other than the tv lol but i might be wrong.

It happens on scart 1 & 2 and on HDMI 1 & 2 and on DTV but does not seem to happen on ATV channels.
    So i am hoping one of you guys out there can maybe help me solve this.

Right first off i will explain what i have already done to try and solve it myself
    Ok here goes.

1: I disconected all my equipment & leads from my lcd that includes (sky dig box,toshiba 350e dvd player, and liteon dvd recorder).

2: Turned all my picture settings and sound setting off or to 0 including the amplifier for tv analog picture.

3: Disconected tv aerial.

4: Moved tv to another room in the house and conected it to a digital freeview aerial.

5: Plugged tv into a Micromark surge protection & overload extention cable.

Ok after doing all these things i am still having the same problem so i am hoping somone out there has a clue what it might be and maybe will be able to help me. :lease:

2. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does sound like the TV from your description!

It also maybe digital noise so try the following:

Switch off all appliances in your home preferably unplug (off, not on standby), especially inductive loads i.e Washing machines, microwave, central heating.

Fit a mains filter to remove any inherent noise from the mains. A surge suppresser will only remove spikes and not general noise.

Take your TV to a friends or relatives house and try it, this will elliminate airborne noise (2-3miles away), could be a mobile phone transmitter mast located near you.

And last, check that you have a good earth to the TV, check the plug, socket etc (even the main earth to ground, there should be a copper stake somewhere near the consumer box or may be connected to water/gas pipe). You may have a floating earth? !!!!If in doubt get a qualified electrician to do it!!!!

Hope this helps :confused:

3. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cheers m8 will give it a go

I was wrong about in not doing the crackling noise on ATV it does, so that just adds 1 more to the list.

I will keep you informed on how i go on

4. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been looking around and if it turns out to be digital noise on the mains then you could try one of the following from Maplin:

Mains Conditioner L70BJ £29.99
    Mains Conditioner 6W L07BK £39.99

You need to be pretty certain at these prices though, perhaps you can find cheaper else where?

But a note of caution, if it is mains noise you should identify what is causing it. The WLT58 should have reasonable mains filter incorporated in it already, therefore you can assume that the noise will be quite bad. The mains are strictly regulated and if necessary I would contact your electricity supplier for advice. The problem comes, if it is being generated by a neighbour’s piece of equipment as this can be hard to track down.
    :confused:

If it’s airborne noise, it’s similar in the fact the WLT58 should comply to RFI, EMC standards etc before it can be sold in the UK (It doesn’t radiate noise and is not susceptible to noise within defined limits). You need to track down the source , if necessary (i.e not a piece of equipment of yours) report it (not sure who).

All this is speculation and I’m still not convinced it’s not a faulty TV yet, based on what you've said. Airborne and mains noise are rare unless you are near industrial factories etc.

5. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You must have read my mind ase001 :) i was just about to come on and ask what and where to get a Mains Conditioner from.
    Might try and borrow one from somewhere to see if it fixes the problem,only problem is where from :(

I've been round the house and turned all phones,tvs, fridges freezers,microwave,dishwasher,central heating,radios,washing machine,kettle,computers.
    Did i miss anything out :) still got the same problem.

Another bit of info for you m8 found out today that there is a mobile phone mask hidden behind some trees about 300 to 400 meters away,so i guess that could add to the possible problem.

I've decided to go and buy a Mains Conditioner 6W from maplins for £39.99 and see if that helps, if not then i will try and get my money back.
    Its worth a try after you have just spent £1100 on a new tv lol, well i will let you know later if it works.

Blue

6. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well i bought one of these today from maplins Mains Conditioner 6W L07BK £39.99 and i am still having the same problem, am going to keep it though because its also a surge protector.

So any other ideas would be appreciated Thanks.

Blue.

7. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    bluemoon do you get the noise when something is connected to the screen outputting a audio signal. I also have a similar issue but it is only apparent when the device connected is not outputting any audio signal. I found that disabling WOW and bass boost pretty much resolved it. When the device connected is outputting any sort of sound (even on low volume) the background noise disappears.

In my case I put it down to the sound processing trying to deal with a non-existant signal; particularly apparent with PC input.

8. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cheers stlic i've noticed a slight improvement when the WOW settings are turn off but i still get crackling when watching a dvd via HDMI and sky via RGB scart or DVT & ATV.

Will be back on the phone tmw to Toshiba Technical Support to see if i can get an engineer out.

Ok guys thanks for your help and ideas :)

9. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    See Manual Page 19 bottom right, this may be your problem 'Antenna amplifier'.

:smashin:

10. clifford62

clifford62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem bluemoonmcfc with mine. When watching dvds from scart 1 or 2 I can hear faint noises coming from the tv broadcast itself. It's very distracting and there is also a lot of crackling. You have to pause the dvd and listen very carefuly, but you can definately hear talking from the tv.

11. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Still having the same problem here but turning all wow settings off helps,

I need to get in touch with tec help again to see if there are any other things i can do will let yu know what they say.

12. raymondo1

raymondo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    hi i have this too,im pretty sure the rustling sound is there all the time, its just masked when u have audio playing. its probably a manufacturing fault in the set unfortunately.
    tonight i will connect the audio o/p of the set to my hifi, which is a lot more revealing, then it looks like i'll be calling tosh :(.
    anyone else called tosh about this yet?

13. alan_t

alan_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    well im glad to say, i have none of the problems you chaps are having.
    my tv is trouble free so far.

14. bewty

bewty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

15. raymondo1

raymondo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    anyone rung tosh about this? i just havent had chance this week.

16. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

Been onto them today just waiting for tec help to phone me back with any info that might help, best guess is it might have been a faulty bach of tvs and i've i 2 of them :(

The options are

1: A courier will come and collect tv and take it for repair if more than month since buying tv, this could take 28 days to sort out leaving with no tv for this time.

2: Get a ref number to swap tv again from the place you bought it from if less than a month old (looks like i will be doing this).

So i should be getting a call before 4pm today i will let you know the outcome

Blue

17. raymondo1

raymondo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    thanks mate. i will ring and do the same. looks like i will be going back to JL :(
    it really does look like some kind of batch manufacturing fault, i work in hi end electronics manufacturing,and this is a typical manufacturing type issue with a new product.
    tho i would have thought the the audio tests performed on the set before it was packed should have caught this fault, im sure if measure noise level coming out of the set it will be shockingly bad.......

18. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well interestingly got a call back today again from toshsiba tec help and i've decided to swap my tv again, they seem to think it sounds like a fault and gave me a ref number for electrical discount where i got my tv from.

Been onto electrical discount today and was told my last tv set i sent back was fine, an engineer from eduk said he tested it and all the results came back that there was nothing wrong with the sound and he could not hear any crackling.

So this is all very confusing i've got a new tv coming next tuesday so this will be my third one so if i still get the same fault with this one its defo something wrong my end but knowone seems to know what to do.

I will keep you informed of my progress

Blue

19. cousinbo

cousinbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried disconnecting everything from the tv and suppling the tv from its own rcb on my power board (over the top but hey!) and it is still making that crackling noise - I think the noise is also causing slight interference on my picture - when it is making the noises im sure i can see a similar flux in the picture when up really close.

I think im going to ask for a replacement but need to know if everyones is doing the same thing or its a faulty batch - dont want to go through the hassle of sending it back to get one that is doing the same thing!

Put the tv onto a unused av channel and turn the vol up to 32 or 35 and post if you can hear the same crackling noise. Please do this if you have both the 32" or 37".

CB

20. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    have you guys tried switching off the Antenna Amplification in the TV - basically if you have a strong TV signal from your aerial it can cause noise and picture problems if you have the antenna amplification in the TV switched on.

21. Koutsi

Koutsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the analog version 32WL58(P) and have a little bit of this crackling sound when on an unused av channel and turning up the volume. Crackling noise goes away when I disable the WOW features (wow!) and a bit hissing noise is left. I don't think I hear crackling when watching an av channel with a program with some sound on. So isn't this somewhat marginal problem with little real significance? Although I am tempted to leave wow feature settings "off" because of this. Consider also that the normal sound level is well below the level 30 when crackling gets into picture (not seen it yet in THE picture really)...

My model of the Toshiba doesn't include the setting of antenna amplification so I guess it doesn't affect this issue. I even tried unplugging the antenna lead from the wall socket and still could generate the crackling with the volume setting at a high level.

22. raymondo1

raymondo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    hi northerner76, yes tried the antenna setting, no difference. playing around with the audio settings makes it worse/better depending on what u do.
    bluemoon if you have the same symptoms as me the set is faulty, not you! I worked as test engineer for last 15 years and I have tried everything to isolate this fault, its the set no question. it acutally crackles on all sources, its just masked when you have audio on. if you have wow and truebass on its sounds awful - im sure if i measure its around the -20dbu mark - should be more like -80. im taking home a piece of audio test gear this w/e to measure it. i will post my findings.

23. raymondo1

raymondo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    its definately of real significance, its a real distraction. my old £250 bush didnt do it!

24. Koutsi

Koutsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, sorry, I was just about to edit my message as to say: there seems to be sets with a worse crackling problem, and sets with milder crackling. If so, mine belongs to the latter group. On HDMI and component inputs I don't hear as much crackling as on the other av channels (with volume up).

25. raymondo1

raymondo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    intersting that u get it too though. i suspect its a design issue with this new model.i think there is a unstable circuit somewhere.
    you really shouldnt get any crackling at all. i reckon my set has a noise floor of about -20/30dbu when all the sound options are enabled. This would have been totally unacceptable 20 years ago, never mind in a new set using the latest technology.
    via hdmi it should be really quiet, the only noise you should hear is a mild hiss at high level if u listen closely, ie just the noise of the d/a convertor and the amplifier after it.
    it worries me that tosh took bluemoons set and said it was ok.......

26. cousinbo

cousinbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree raymondo - i ve had my set 3 days and noticed it on my first switch on - how can they deny there is a problem! Im very unsure now about what to do? dont know if i want to run the risk of the same problem occurring on another tv.

I like raymondo and bluemoon have switched every feature on and off including antenna gain (the first thing to be switched off) and cannot get rid of the problem.

What i want to know, is the 37" is doing the same? Because if it isnt then i will not be accepting another 32" but be pushing for a 37" without the issue.

27. raymondo1

raymondo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    having just re-read bluemoons post it wasnt tosh that re tested it, it was a retailer.
    i wouldnt trust any retailer to retest the set, it has to be the manufacturer.
    i bet my bottom dolllar its a batch or a design fault with the set.
    will keep all updated. t
    hanks people.

28. shape

shape

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, i've got the 37" and had this problem, whilst watching a dvd and pressing pause i could hear a tv broadcast and crackling etc.
    I turned off the internal amplifier and wow settings removed the house aerial (which i don't need as have sky) and the tv broadcast sound had gone as well as the crackling. on a digital channel with no signal and volume up to 100 i only get a slight hiss.
    so for me problem solved. my old crt panasonic 32" used to suffer with tv broadcast coming through faintly on my dvd channel.

29. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi peeps well am getting my new set on tuesday, booked another day of work :( so maybe i can get it sorted once and for all.

raymondo1 i hope it was just a faulty bach and we have been some of the unlucky ones because if my new set still has this crackling when it comes on tuesday it might be flying out of the window :).

If you look back at the beginning of the post i undid all my wires and cables as well as tv ariel and it still made the crackling noise, so then i connected the hdmi cable to my dvd player and it still did the same, so who knows what the problem is, the toshiba tec guy said they had never had any reports like the 1 i was telling him about so i guess we all need to ring up and let them know there maybe a problem?

raymondo1 let me know about your audio findings m8 or post them here i would be very interested in your findings.

Cheers Blue

30. kicker31

kicker31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just got my 37wlt58 today and noticed two things 1. the crackling noise, 2. humming noise, but after reading some posts on here turned wow off and this has got rid of any crackling all the way with volume upto 100, mind u ive got a external amp for all my stuff anyway as soon as i get it all setup, plus dont have a arial connected cause u cant get digital where i live and my old arial in bits on roof from storms begining of year, but not got round to replacing it as i just watch sky, 2. the bussing noise must be for backlight as when back light is on 100 there no noise and then whateva number under 99 there slight humming, but while watching any tv progs etc its not noticable, so im happy with the set at the moment so far no dead pixels, crackling noise sorted, and humming noise i reckon is same whatevery one hears cause i been in comet etc and listened close to a few sets and they all give slight buzzing, anyway thanks to everyone on this thread, for sorting crackling noise