1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32WL56-3rd set lucky?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by blackeyepurple, Sep 1, 2005.

1. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, just wanted to post on here regarding problems i've had with the 32WL56 and see if anyone else has had similar problems at all (surely cant just be me on a forum this size). The first Tosh set I had was a 27" from the same range, this gave a discoloured 1" brown band at the top of the screen on dark scenes and was very noticable on Bladerunner. The second set a 32" model had a stuck green pixel right in the middle of the screen. The third has green discolouration on yellow backgrounds in the top left corner (over HDMI) and down the L/H side of the screen over scart from freeview. Beyondtelevision and Toshiba most recently have been great about replacing the sets but its a pain and i'm wondering if i will end up with a fault free one?! Has anyone on this HUGE forum had any of the above listed problems with any set in this range? I could have had a refund at several points but its a great set for the money has a really good picture (where its good) so I wanna get it sorted. Any ideas or similar experiances from you guys would be great. Cheers.
    Sorry for the two other versions of this message.....not great at this posting stuff!

2. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this is my 3rd 32WL56 and it has 5 stuck pixels! I could put up with 1 in the corner.....but 5 all pretty well in or near the centre of the screen? I honestly can't believe no one else has had any problems.

3. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Is it obvious if you have a dead/stuck pixel? how bog are they?

I have had two 27WL56's and apart from the lack of yuv in the first one the panels on both have been pretty good! I'm chuffed with it in fact.

4. PINK PANTHER

PINK PANTHER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems with my 32wl56 had it for 2 weeks now,picture quailty is excellent i am very very very PLEASED!

5. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is obvious....and I have 5....3 green and 2 blue. I'm glad your pleased with your sets and I agreen the picture quality is very good. Its just the 4 sets I have had now have all shown faults as noted in the original post.

Stuck pixels look like bright dots when the screen is black.

6. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to Lee at Beyondtelevision and he apologised for the faulty sets and this one is on its way back on Monday for a refund. Gonna have to decide what to get instead? Thinking of spending a fair bit more and getting a Plasma......maybe the Panny 37PV500 ;)

7. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    what about the 37wl56?

or are you scarred too deeply?

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Does anyone know where Toshiba sources its LCD Panels?

I am aware that the LCD sets are assembled in Plymouth, from knock down kits.

There is a Panasonic (Matshui) / Toshiba Joint Venture LCD factory in Singapore. But I do not know if the WL56 or WLT58 range LCD panels are sourced from there.

During CRT days the Plymouth Toshiba factory would source CRT tubes on a monthly basis (based on price) from Philips, Sony, etc as Tosh did not have a European CRT factory. There would be pcb component changes depending which CRT was used. Initially the larger CRT's did have Toshiba tubes from Japan, like my 9 year old Toshiba 29".

I just wondered if the multi sourcing was still used, or if the LCD panels were actually made by Toshiba.

btw the Plymouth factory has been in decline for many years, the "good" engineers have long since left, the remainder (or older) are waiting for their redunacy cheques. They are not very proactive when it comes to resolving technical issues, they relie very heavily on Toshiba Japan to approve design changes (not a fast process). The factory's expertise is manufacturing engineering, they do not really design TV's there. They do little more than design carton boxes, and proof owner's manuals.
    Lately their limited resources have been focused on outsourcing components and assemblies.........however the same could be said of most UK manufacturing factories these days.

9. Order Sixty Six

Order Sixty Six

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that Toshiba has sorted the problems out with these sets. I'm talking from experience being on my second 37wl. I've a mate who is now on his third, which is supposed to have been set up by Tosh. Neither have suffered your problems but his now doesn't buzz but it ghosts really bad via HDMI, I couldn't believe it when I saw it, they must be pulling their hair out over that set. It is built in England but how it is assembled who knows?

10. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I wouldn't be keen on buying anything else from Toshiba now......I think if your lucky enough to have a fault free one of these sets then you've got yourself a bargain at around £800. I have to say that my next tv will be designed and built in Japan. Its sad to say but Plymouth would not be the location of choice for my TV to be assembled. I'm gonna up my budget and go for a TH37PV500 Panny Plasma....the build quality and design really impressed me.....and I reckon I stand less chance of getting dead/stuck pixels!

11. BLOWNIT

BLOWNIT
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    37WL56
    First set no yuv and also bands of improper screen illumination. ( 2 inch strips right across the screen )
    Second set,yuv ok, loud buzzing, illumination better but strips on screen can still be seen, horizontal and vertical.
    Third set knocks off and has dead pixels ( this one had apparantly been checked out by an engineer for a whole day) prior to shipping. this one also has bands/strips but are more faded than the others. YUV OK
    Now Awaiting the fourth.
    I used to really rate Tosh, but boy does their quality control suck. The only thing keeping me believing is their half decent customer service so far.

BLOWNIT.

12. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I was thinking of the above model, however I don't really want to be returning three tv's. if they are as bad as everyone is saying.

Perhaps I should give tosh a miss?

I want a 42" HD LCD that I can leave on for hours without worrying about screen-burn like plasma's.

If screen-burn is that bad on plasma's why do some models (Hitachi) have memory card readers for picture viewing?

13. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Good luck with this one, as I'm thinking of buying one myself however I am a bit confused as to the colour of the LCD screen's surround. Some pictures of it show it to be silver whereas others show it to be have a black/dark grey surround.

What colour is yours and and does it vary with various batches?

Regards

14. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The majority of the case is a light silver and the screen surround is a masked and sprayed affair in dark silver......the case quality also leaves a fair bit to be desired. A couple of the sets I had had over-spray onto the lighter silver in the bottom left hand corner of the screen surround! I have to say i'm now quite relieved to have been refunded after the whole saga. However I now find myself without a TV and no retailers have the 37" PV500 in stock....poo :thumbsdow