1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32WL48 red stripe punishment!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Deep-6, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Morning all,

I decided to go downstairs and make a start on neatening up my cables behind the Tosh 32WL48....ok, I was actually going to play some Halo 2 online, but when I brought the TV out of standby I saw something with gutted me...

A thin red strip of dead/stuck pixels extending from the top to the bottom of the screen. :eek:

Here are some pics of what once was my pride and joy..

Stripe against regular picture
    [​IMG]

TV switched to scart3 (no input)
    [​IMG]

Once the time is a bit more sociable I will call tvandvideodirect and see what they can do about replacing it..

Is there anything I can do about this or should I just sit back and wait for replacement. The panel is just around 2 weeks old. I'm assuming this phenomenon is way over the dead pixel tolerance level for any manufacturer, correct?

Just wanted to share my grief!!

Mark

2. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ouch thats nasty. Not an expert on LCD or anything but I would have thought that that many pixels dying in a line is unlikely. It seems to me ( guess work here ) that its more likely to be an open circuit power track to a line of pixels. So its probably fixable. I could be way off base here but thats what it looks like to me.

3. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi Ultim8Fury, you could be right....it seems it has fixed itself, the line disappeared an hour or so after my post, didn't see it happen though, so before I went out, I turned the tv off rather than leaving it in standby, 5 hours later, I am back, have turned the TV on and the line has not come back!

Tvandvideodirect said to call them back on Monday and speak to their service manager who would send someone out, but now that the line has gone, I would hate for someone to be sent out just to see a (once again) perfectly working set. Since it is only a couple of weeks old they would have replaced it with a new one.

Is it worth calling this one in anyway?

4. suicidal_maniac

suicidal_maniac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would...no point worrying about it just get them to swap it...Its certain to come back the day after your warranty runs out if you dont.

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373

dont bother calling mate, I have had my 19" Iiyama C480T about a year, and I had the same problem and the line was also RED and in the same position.

The Line mysteriously disapeared about 1 hour later after pressing buttons and switching on and off etc.....

That was 6 months ago, and it has never happened again.

its a glitch.

If it does happen again soon then maybe u should return it, but wait until it does

6. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You might have a point Ironduke... I'll call the shop and see what they say though. I'd have to take day off work to let the service guy in and another if they dont bring a swap at the same time.

Tvandvideodirect said I could come back within a month of buying the TV and get the 5 year warranty, I'm defnitely tempted to do this now after this glitch. Who knows what could happen down the line?

The last thing I bought an extended warranty on was a 25" sony TV back in 1999, and after the first year, had no end of problems, dodgy tube, knackered power supply, thankfully the extra 2 years warranty I bought covered all of this, and have since sold it after picking up the LCD.

Has anyone else bought an extended warranty on their new LCD tvs?

7. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Bought my 32wl48 from John Lewis for £1499 (with 5 year warranty). It worked out about £156 more than if I had bought one online but I figured the extra was worth it for the extended warranty period.

8. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Do John Lewis sell them online or do you have to go into a shop to get that deal? My nearest JL is Newcastle, I guess I'll have to phone them up to see if they do that deal. On a related note, if you *do* buy from the shop itself, do you have to go back to the shop with it yourself if there's a problem or is it all handled from some sort of "central" JL HQ?

It's the 5-year JL warranty that's tempting me - how does that cover dead pixels...DOES it cover dead pixels??

9. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Actually ordered mine over the phone. The price I paid is now actually there retail price, it was originally £1695 until I pointed out I could get one for £1499. They checked and then dropped there store price accordingly.

Regarding problems, mine was delivered on Thursday and had 6 dead pixels and a bright patch in the bottom left corner. I rang JL and they immediately said they would deliver me a new one and pick the faulty one up at the same time.

10. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I called TVandVideodirect, they were very nice and said just to keep watching the TV and if it happened again to let them know. I also decided to pay for an extended warranty bringing the total up to 5 years for an extra £200, so peace of mind finally! :thumbsup:

Time to sit back and start enjoying the tv again! :cool:

11. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Am after a new tv (although rapidly giving up home of getting 1 for xmas) and popped into my local John Lewis (Nottingham) earlier and they did not have it available, nor is it listed on thier website.......

Currys/Comet never seem to have them and as much as I take at word all the comments on these Boards I realy want to see one in action in the flesh but no-one ever seems to have them :rolleyes:

12. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Try ringing another branch, JL Cheadle 0161 491 4914. I spoke to them this morning about my replacement set and they said they had 150 in there main warehouse.

13. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought mine sight unseen and based purely on what I read on these threads but I have been very happy with the purchase especially since the redstripe gremlin has disappeared. Its definitely not best practice to buy without checking out the goods, but with so many positive comments, I figured it was worth the risk!

Good luck finding one, then, finding one set up properly! :rolleyes:

14. iamamoose

iamamoose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Which John Lewis changed their store price to £1499? I called JL Glasgow this morning and they still want £1695 for it :(

15. Scratchy

Scratchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think JL price check is restricted to a local area, so some branches will be able to give you the drop. If you mention it to the Glasgow branch and give evidence, they may be able to drop the price.

16. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Cheadle, So just get JL Glasgow to pricematch against there own Cheadle store.

17. roydonaldson

roydonaldson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just checked JL.com and they don't have the TV up on their website.

Do they have one out on display in JL Glasgow ? If so, I may go in tomorrow for a good look at it.

Roy.

18. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I rang JL Newcastle and they confirmed the £1695 price. Would be nice if you could play them off against the JL that had it for £1499 but I think the price-match is restricted to the "local" area (in this case, Tyne & Wear).

19. iamamoose

iamamoose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    roydonaldson, the Glasgow branch said they had some in stock. I looked a couple of Saturdays ago and they didn't have it in then, but I've been avoiding the centre this close to Christmas ;-) I'll call Cheadle tommorrow, and if they confirm the 1499 price try to get JL to price match themselves!

20. roydonaldson

roydonaldson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, if you do ring them, can you find out if they have one out on display ? I'd really like to see it before I buy one (and let my wife see it too).

I'm avoiding the city now too, after a mistake of going in at lunchtime :(

Roy.

21. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    iamamoose, If JL Glasgow won't price match against JL Cheadle, Do you have a local branch of Micro Anvika. Thats who I got John Lewis to price match against.

22. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Right, so in my case, IN THEORY, I have two options:

1) Ring the Cheadle JL store, get them to price match one of the two Manchester Micro Anvika shops (£1499).

2) Ring my local JL (Newcastle) and attempt to get them to price match Cheadle JL. Not sure why I would really want to do this because I presume JL delivery is free regardless of where you are in the country so I just go with option 1.

Saw someone in another post indicating that dead pixels/screen issues were not covered under JL 5-year warranty - when I asked JL explicitly about "dead pixels" they were evasive and offered to ring me back after "investigating with their technical staff" (who incidentally were "busy" at the time) so I guess they are tied by what Toshiba themselves deem as a returnable item....what IS Toshiba's return policy regarding dead pixels on their LCD displays?

23. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Might be worth checking this, when I ordered mine they asked for my postcode to check if I came within there free delivery area.

I've already covered this in a previous thread, but basically I'm getting a new unit sent out to me this week because the original had 6 dead pixels.

24. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just thought I would say that after 5 years of ownership, the 32WL48 is still going strong and serving as the main TV in my flat! Not a single issue since the red line stripe and as far as I can tell, no dead/stuck pixels.

By today's standards the styling is a bit bland, chunky and grey, but still has a good picture.

I'm considering a Panasonic Plasma now for the main set, but I hope any owners of the 32WL48 are as happy as I am - wish I had saved my £200 on the 5 year extended warranty!

Thx!

25. DamoRed

DamoRed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hahaha... that's some bump! I think it's the longest gap between posts I've ever seen on any forum anywhere. Good to hear it's served you so well with no more problems all this time, especially after paying in the region of £1500.

The thing to do would be to raise a glass to its long service...

http://open.salon.com/files/redstripebeer1248996183.jpg

Mod Comment: images altered to a link, don't hotlink to images from sites you do have permission to do so from

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010