1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32WL48 Cable confusion

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by NickHe, Dec 8, 2004.

1. NickHe

NickHe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could do with a little help / advice before my new TV arrives on Friday. I've also ordered a Denon 500 Home Theatre system.

This is my first setup using componets connections. I intend to connect :

DVD via component
    SKY via RGB Scart
    XBOX via advanced connector thing

The question then are :
    1) I'm a bit confused about component. All the leads I've seen seem to carry the video. What do you do about the sound ? What extra leads will I need to connect the denon to the TV to play DVD ? I know I will usually be using the surround for DVD but the missus sometimes insists on only the TV speakers !

2) XBOX. I want to be able to use the XBOX in it's high res modes with the games that support this feature. Does this have to be via component ? If so then how do I connect 2 component sources at once ?

Cheers

2. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I have the same 32WL48. I'm using a pioneer 575 and taking the video out via component leads, and the sound from the L-R stereo phono outputs directly into the TV by the stereo inputs located near the components.

Looking at the PDF on denon's uk site, I cant quite tell whether it has phono outputs. Being that it is a dvd/amplifier, it might not, but I could be wrong. If the Denon has these outputs, run them to your tv and you can watch DVDs that way, but if you use the Denon's surround sound, you'll have to mute the TV or better still turn the speakers off in the menu system.

As for xbox, I have a PAL unmodded crystal one which i would like to get hi-def out of. I am currently using the advanced scart cable. You will have to modify your xbox to use hi def, either a hardware modification, or supposedly a soft mod which exploits a gamesave. There is a thread in the console forum dedicated to this, but its quite long!!

Oh yes, and you will need to get the hi def kit to get the hi res modes out of the xbox once you have somehow unlocked these modes. And yes, the kit consists of component connections to the TV.

As for two component connections to the tv, I dont know if there is a component switching device like you can get some rgb switching devices. You can certainly get AV switching amps with several component inputs which ouputs one feed to the TV.

Good luck!

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Are we talking SKY or SKY+ ?