32V2000 still best for the money?

Haze

I'll be getting myself a new LCD TV in January but I honestly can't decide between the Sony 32V2000 or the Toshiba 32wlt68.

The Sony has a coupe of advantages, its cheaper and I can actually buy it quite easily.

The Tosh is more expensive and very hard to get in Ireland but its solid all round performance (HD and SD) and 3 HDMIs are tempting.

If you were in my shoes which way would you go?

andrewfee

Novice Member
I've owned a 32v2000, and prefer my Toshiba 37WLT68, but they're both very good LCDs. I've found the Toshiba to have a sharper image with both SD and HD, but it's naturally sharp, not artificial looking like most LCDs.

They're both good at producing very rich colours, but in my opinion, the 32v2000 isn't as good at producing accurate colours, whereas the Toshiba is great at both. The BRAVIAs do have better viewing angles and black levels though.

The BRAVIA is slightly better for PC use as it supports 1360x768 over VGA whereas the Toshiba's maximum resolution 1:1 mapped is 1280x768. The Toshiba does an amazing job scaling this fullscreen though - there's almost no noticeable difference. It also does a much better job scaling up other resolutions.

The BRAVIA has per-input settings, whereas the Toshiba, as far as I can see, only has one set of options for all inputs. (though noise reduction options are per-input) This is less of an issue than it sounds, as Toshiba have done a wonderful job matching the inputs, so the same settings generally look the same. (on the BRAVIA I was needing different settings depending on what connection was being used)

The BRAVIA's menus / remote are much more responsive, but not quite as well laid out in my opinion, however the internal Freeview tuner has a much better interface. (but that's a non-issue for me, as I use my Freeview PVR anyway)

The BRAVIA has a lot more processing options in the menus than Toshiba, but I found that I preferred the image with them all disabled anyway. The Toshiba does have 100Hz processing, which I find improves motion handling quite a bit.

Oh, and you can change aspect ratio with HD signals on the Toshiba, and it supports 1080p over Component and HDMI, whereas the BRAVIA is locked to widescreen with HD signals, and is limited to 1080i.

The Toshiba should have better sound than the BRAVIA, but I can't give an opinion on that, as all TV speakers sound crap to me.

So to sum up, Toshiba = Better image quality, better sound quality, better motion handling, more inputs.
BRAVIA = Better VGA support for PC use, better Freeview tuner, better styling, per-input settings, better viewing angles, better blacks.

Personally I'd go for the Toshiba, as I find the image quality to be better overall, but you will be happy with whichever one you go for.

thisempty

Novice Member
Or you can wait for the new Bravia V2500 and see what it improves over the V2000. It's coming out in January.

Haze

Or you can wait for the new Bravia V2500 and see what it improves over the V2000. It's coming out in January.

As far as I can see the only diffence between the 32V2000 ad the 32V2500 is an extra HDMI.

thisempty

Novice Member
As far as I can see the only diffence between the 32V2000 ad the 32V2500 is an extra HDMI.

I think i read that more new stuff will be added. More contrast ratio and other things.
I find it hardly to believe that they would change models and the only single difference would be 1 more HDMI

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom