1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PW9768 Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mkuht, Jan 25, 2005.

1. mkuht

mkuht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great TV, nice features, but still has the feel of a product which hasn't quite been fully developed yet.

I'd love to get the back off this thing and stick a big hard disk in it but haven't yet got around to it. Has anyone plucked up the courage to take a look inside yet and find out what format the drive is in and whether it could be replaced with something a bit more substantial ?

There's a few questions to be asked:

Is the hard disk formatted in some standard fashion (eg. Linux ext2) ?
    Is the software/firmware stored on disk ?
    Does the software/firmware rely upon a particular make/size of disk ?
    Is the disk a standard IDE device ?
    Will Philips ever offer any software upgrades perhaps to enable incorporation of a DVD recorder ? (Wishful thinking :laugh: )

I'll be intersted in anyone else's thoughts.

2. braincapers

braincapers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My recording facility has stopped working so if anybody has any ideas on how to fix it I'd be grateful.

3. peterclamp

peterclamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I have the exact same problem. I have entered the "service mode" from the handset and it gives a fault code for the hard disk module. Dunno if it is possible to just swap for another 40gb hard drive? I f you get it looked at let me know the result/cost please!

Pete

4. braincapers

braincapers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you get into service mode?

5. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So this isn't the first time it's happened then?

My colleague has one of these tv's and it has stopped recording. There is no recording menu at all and when he presses the "instant record" (red) button on the remote, he gets a message "instant recording is not yet possible".

The tv was a year old in December and this happened about a month ago. He contacted Philips and was told that as the tv was out of warranty (by 4 months) he would have to pay to get it repaired.

I believe that UK consumer law covers him here, as the tv or any part of it, has to work for a "reasonable period" before breakdown and if the supplier refuses to repair or replace it he can pursue the matter through the courts for replacement or repair if neccessary. Am I correct in this assumption?

6. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    Yes, but you need to pursue your supplier who in turn should pursue Philips on your behalf.
    Your "contract" is with the supplier of the set...where you bought it.