32pw9618 Problem!!!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by belmulletman, Jan 10, 2005.

1. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    Right here goes... last night i noticed a problem with my TV and i was hoping that anyone else with a 9618 can see if they have the same problem or if they have ever heard of the problem...

ok, right...
    now first off... when i change channels the picture goes black for 1 to 2 seconds, while the screen is black and white line appears at the very, very top of the screen, and the the desired channel appears...

now when the channel is on screen and you select, for example a channel with a logo in the top right corner, you can actually see the image move, kind of "in and out" in an almost "zoom" like manner depending on how much brightness or black is on the screen...

now if there is a very dark scene either on the incoming tv signal or on a dvd, the picture seems to shrink and the white line that appears while changing the channel appears, but then when a brighter scene comes on, the white line moves off the screen the the image tends to get bigger... I say you notice this with a logo in the corner because you can actually see the distance between the top of the logo and the top of the screen gets bigger and smaller, again depending on how much brightness or darkness is on screen!!! again, if the screen is dark then the logo tends to move down and the white line appear, and if it is a bright scene the the logo moves up and the white line disappear!!!

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME, should i get them to collect it and repair it. the TV is only 8 months old!!!!

Thank you all in advance,

B-man....

if you could mail me personally with any problems / what you think i should do that would be great...

[email protected]

2. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, an update...

I've been examining the tv more since i've gotten home from work and the problem is more serious that I had originally pointed out.

on the left side of the screen now, when there is alot of brightness (e.g. the Info box that appears when you bress the "i+" button) the image actually moves between 10 and 20 pixels in and out!!!
    E.g. the little pixel half way down the screen that sticks out actually has no image in it unless there is something bright on the screen... this is probably the best way to see the problem...

It's actually quiet nausiating in a programme like "24" where, at the begining when the 24 logo comes on screen, the image "pulses" in and out....

Please if anyone has seen or heard of this problem before let me know.

Thanking you all in advance,

B-man

3. Chas-

Chas-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi B-man,
    Since you ask.. have had my 32PW9618 for 6 months now - without noticing the pulsing of which you speak. However, I have noticed a white line come and go at the very top when, e.g. changing channels; but it always goes in normal viewing.
    From a laymans point of view, i have to say your observations don't sound good - hope I'm wrong!
    Good luck

4. Chris Hedlund

Chris Hedlund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. billy

billy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also have a 32PW9618 and on Friday i noticed the same problem as you describe....first noticed it on the opening credits on kill bill 1....light to dark shrinks picture and white line appears....lets us know how you get on as i am going to try and sort mine out to...also when i turn on the tv the white band is worse until a picture appears...

6. Switch625

Switch625

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I just got my 9618 a few days ago and not noticed this problem...
    Can anyone tell me if the set should automatically change picture format (from 4:3 to 16:9 for example) when switching channels that have different broadcast formats?

7. billy

billy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am not going down the voltage route.....the effect is bad when watching music on the music channels...lots of flashing light dark pictures...picture zooming in and out....backed the contrast,brightness,colour down to zero and was left with a black screen with the white line at the top....if it was a fault on the voltage regulator why the white line on a black screen?????

8. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The white line at the top of the screeen is the AKB pulse, which the TV uses for black level regulation, and its brightness is independent of the contrast and brightness settings for the picture.

9. billy

billy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Zacabeb....does that mean that their is a problem with the AKB pulse on my tv.....the picture never used to dip at the top on a dark scene and show a whte line....can the AKB circurity/component fail and is it a big job to sort out....thanks.....

10. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The AKB pulse simply becomes visible if the picture shrinks enough, and it's not the source of the problem. If you've lowered the contrast, the picture may appear smaller on screen than before and simply reveal the way the set was adjusted at the factory. If it's much worse than before, it may be worth letting someone have a look at the set though.

11. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok guys,

first off thanks for the replies...
    I've had the TV taken back to the philips service centre, and i recieved a call from them today.
    Basically he told me that the TV was and still is in perfect working order... and he could not find any problems with the geometry or the picture moving...

I explained the problem again to him, as the description may have gotten skewed from what i told the guys in the Philips Store here in Dublin...

He said he'd test if for a further couple of days, but he couldn't see a problem.
    he also said that the white line at the top of the set was an "Inherent Problem" with the set... and nothing could be done on it... i then asked him to reset the geometry and see if that would sort it... he said the geometry was perfect and that it was not the cause. It is just something that philips sets do...

WELL... i was gettin mad at this point... so i said to test it for another day or two and get back to me with the results, but if he stilll felt that there was not a problem, i wanted a replacement!!!

NOW... the only problem with this is... the 32pw9618 has been discontinued!!! so what do they replace it with??? I paid 1800euro for the set, and there is nothiing that philips have out at the moment that comes close to havin the same feature set... (i.e. 4 scarts, s-vid, side inputs, pixel plus, built in Dolby Digital with Wireless rear speakers)... i bought this set because it had 4 scarts, pixel plus and Dolby Digital and they have nothing to replace it... I don't even think they have a 32" in their current line up with 4 scarts..... so... what do you think i should do if i'm told there is nothing wrong!??!?!?!?
    I am not takin that one back... it is really uncomfortable to watch, that's how bad the "problem" is!!!

Thank guy for all you advice and input,

B-man

12. billy

billy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    keep us posted to the outcome...was going to call the local tv guy round to mine as it,s just out of guarantee...my biggest fear is he will say their is nothing wrong with it...i am sure it did not do this till lately as a would have noticed it....be good to hear what your philips centre say after a second look.....

13. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Will do...

I made a few little video clips with my phone to further expalin the problem to the guys in the Philips Store, so that they inturn could expalin the problem to the Philips repair centre...

I'll try and post them tomorrow from work, as they are on the pc in my office.

Hopefully i'll hear from Philips on Friday. But i told them i was not taking that tv back in that condition, regardless of them saying that there is no problem, I am going to inspect the tv when it is returned to the store before it is returned to my flat.

I'll keep you updated,

B-Man

14. billy

billy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any progress ???

15. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No, not at the moment... still awaiting a call from the service centre.... i'll let you know as soon as i've heard anything.

B-Man

16. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey,

unfortunatly, no progress at present... they kept insisting that there was no problem... so i mailed them the clips and told them to sort it or gimme a new one....

so awaiting a reply at the moment!!!!

B-man

17. billy

billy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that....Got philips to look at mine under guarentee now.....The service agent they put me in contact with are coming round :confused: on Thursday...will keep you posted how i get on.....bloody tv picture should not shrink and expand like this.....

18. billy

billy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tele sorted.....they went into the service menu and i think they adjusted the ampitude???....stopped the picture shrink and the white line....Top job by Philips and Retel of Carlisle :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Really Billy??

Crap... they've had mine now for over a bloody month and still have not been able to fix it... i've demanded a new TV several times but no one has been listening to me!!!
    Philips have extended my Guarentee for a further 12 months (alot of good that is when the dam thing doesn't even work!!!!!!)

did you ask them exactly what they did to fix yours...
    I'm just really, really P'd off with the whole thing right now!

B-Man :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

20. billy

billy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somebody was house sitting for me when they fixed it ...but they rung me up at work and am sure that they said they turned the ampitude down...they also said that they had seen the problem before on this model

21. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad you had your television fixed Billy.

I bought the 36PW9618 last spring with no problems whatsoever; the picture is amazing on this television. However, if watching the music channels, particularly the "rap" type ones, you would think the television had gone haywire. The constant zooming in and out and shooting from all angles is a real headache to watch.

Switch 625, I would imagine my television has the same features as yours. If you go to the Aspect Menu (by pressing the lowest right hand button on the handset) you will probably find it is set on Auto Format. I tend to keep mine on that and when the programme or channel changes it tries to compensate for whatever formart the programe has been shot. More and more now though I've had to set it to widescreen as if the people look extra thin and long on Auto Format you need to change it to widescreen setting. Suddenly there are so many programmes filmed in true widescreen.

I hope you have a lot of pleasure and no problems from your PW9618. I spent weeks tinkering with the brightness, colour, etc. settings. The factory settings were way out for my taste and dazzling to watch. It's a great television and needs to be well adjusted to do it justice.

22. Hyzepher

Hyzepher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a 36pw9618 and although I dont suffer from the same problems you guys have, I do have a problem witht eh wireless speakers - they hum really loud. To the extend I cant use them. Got a philips guy out who agreed that the humming was bad but said he could get a replacement. I tried a couple of things and noticed that if I ran a cable from the tv to the reciver box the speakers worked fine - so the speakers are ok. The philips guy gave me a new receiver box but problem still remained.

So I have narrowed it down to the transmitter thingy on the back of the tv - cant get one for love or money.

So has anyone had this problem and fixed it or does anyone have an old transmitter thingy I could have.

Chris

23. bonerp

bonerp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you sure its not interference from an amp or other electrical device?

I'm not using my speakers as I have an amp and separate speakers, but my mate who I got the TV off reckons he experienced interference (buzzing) too. I tried mine tonight and careful placement of the receiver seemed to cure it.

Paul

24. Hyzepher

Hyzepher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its definately the transmitter - moved speakers & receiver all over the place - no loy. Even switched everything else off and still no joy.

hyzepher

25. alexcsb

alexcsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please read the article I put in for Johnski about the Philips 32PW9536. You think you have problems. Also look at www.forums.reviewer.co.uk for further info on philips tv's in general - people are going to watchdog about their tv's.

Honestly..... Philips are total rubbish. I will never buy another TV from them again as they are second rate and downright garbage. We paid just under £1000 for ours - a mtchline at that, and it turned out to last just over 2 years and now it's been written off as 'beyond economical repair' at £600.

Never again. We've just replaced it with a Sony, the best TV we've ever had. Sorry if this sounds like a disgruntled and disappointed consumer, but Philips were useless on complaining, and apparently they're brushing all problems with their TV's under the carpet.

I'll tell you this much...... I bought a Goldstar (now under the brand of LG), 14" colour portable tv 17 years ago for £140. Never had a problem with it and it goes on like a trooper. What more can I say?

I hope you find this info useful.

Regards

Alex

26. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heheh....some of you might remember my adventure with Sony's flagship model KV-36HQ100 and after that particular experience I promised myself never ever to buy a Sony TV again.

I guess the real truth there is that every manufacturer has it's problems producing technology which is: cheap to build (doesn't cost them much), easy to sell (doesn't cost us much), has the proper technological features and is robust in build. Producing an output where all of these things are in balance is hard which is the reason why there are so many more or less faulty units out there.

27. ColonelK

ColonelK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not surprising when the composite parts are supplied by the lowest bidders. Our 4:3 old Philips tele blew its powersupply (and arced all over the mainboard). Cost me £100 to get it fixed but its been fine ever since. I'm up for a cheap Sony widescreen next to tide me over until LCD TV's get big and cheap ;)

28. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hezepher,

I read on this forum and another website of a possible "cure" for these buzzing rear speakers. I have the 36PW9618 and instead of the wireless module I have hard wired it with a cinch cable to the television. That apparently is responsible for loud buzzing speakers although mine only had the faintest noise. Bigby from Denmark had a component replaced in his television, under warranty, which cured the buzz completely. It doesn't seem as if the Philips Service engineers in U.K. are doing this, or don't want to know.

The "cure" I read about is that if you are going the conventional route and plugging the wireless module into the back of the television you just push it into the connection as shown in the manual. But you must let the whole of the module hang free down the back of the television. Do not clip the other part into the adjacent pseudo 13 amp socket as apparently that causes interference in the speakers.

Since I hard wired mine I haven't checked out how effective it is. Also you shouldn't have a cordless telephone too near the connection box, or video senders, etc. as this may cause interference. Hope it does some good for you.

29. belmulletman

belmulletman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, we seem to have gone way off the original point!! so, i'm going to get back to it!

The long and short of the story is... the service center said the FAULT was within acceptable tollerance!!! (eh, no it wasn't)... so i complained to the store manager, and i'm getting it replaced... but there are no 9618's available any more, so... i'm getting a 32pw9509 PLUS a DVDR520h (that's the HardDrive DVD Recorder!!!) because of the price difference... and a brand new warrentey!!! woohoo!!!!

i know the TV is'nt as highly spec'ed... i don't need the surround sound any more... but the one feature i will miss is the 4 Scart Sockets!!!! but i guess i'll have to live with my new HardDrive/Dvd Reorder instead!!!!

so that's my story... not a good one, but it has a happy ending!!

B-Man :rolleyes:

30. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi belmulletman,

All that effort paid off. I'm really glad for you, and it seems to be a pretty good swap. A Hard Drive DVD Recorder definitely sweetens the deal too.

That's certainly a happy ending in my book, now you can sleep at night too!