1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PW9527's geometry

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Gordon A, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    After ages trying to find a local retailer that sold the 32PW9527, found one on Thursday and got it delivered Friday. Getting Barclaycard to price match so no qualms about paying 'above the odds.'

One thing, though, is the geometry's miles out! As soon as it was switched on, I couldn't even read the menu bar at the top asking me to select the country and language. Along the bottom edge of the screen there's an approximate 1.5-2" gap to the bottom of where it should be. On Sky broadcasts (Bravo, for example) all I can see is the 'Bravo' bit of the logo; the rest of it's 'hidden' above the upper edge of the screen.

On terrestrial teletext, it takes on a strange trapezoid(?) effect, with the top of the text being far wider then the bottom; the same happens when the 'menu background' option's activated.

I've tried the 'reset factory options' and fiddling with all the picture formats but to no avail: it's simply miles out of alignment.

I'm getting a replacement TV on Monday morning but is there a setting in the service menu that'd correct this? If so, which one and how do you access the service menu?! May as well have a play.

Apart from that, the picture is absolutely brilliant - what I can see of it!!

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To access the service menu, key in 062596 then i+ at normal speed. When in the menu you can change channels as normal. Go to the alignments menu. The menu operates like any other menu on the set. Adjust the settings in the order which they appear. Write down any settings before you change them. When done select store. Good luck!

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds as if the HOP IC has gone nuts, especially considering the varying trapezoid effect. There may also be problems with the components on the picture tube neck. Although there may be differences in geometry between the three digital modes because of different vertical frequencies, none of the modes should differ by such an amount.

I think you should not bother with the service mode, until you have found out what is wrong with the set and gotten it fixed.

4. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Found a link to a Dutch site with the details of the service settings etc. The ones for vertical size etc. were miles out so adjusted them accordingly, not touching anything else, and the picture geometry is now fine. The trapezoid effect and teletext deformation was probably due to the fact that the vertical settings were so far out.

Thanks all the same for the help.

5. LONGSHANKS

LONGSHANKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,
    Could you please post the link to the Dutch site.My 9527 is arriving on thursday. Hopefully everything will be ok with the geometry but I'd like to check the settings.

Thanks.

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    LONGSHANKS... the site you are looking for is this one however as far as I remember it does not carry "ideal" settings for the 9527. So it's a case of writing down the original settings and being very careful.

7. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got the 9617 and the geometry is BAD, really BAD. Although I've tweaked the setting in the SM, most of my problems are with dodgy horizontal alignments which can't be altered. See image below.

[​IMG]

Waiting for supplier to get back to me about a fix/replacement.

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That really does look bad Barry_X. The only bit of uncorrectable geometry I have is a slight downward bend in the bottom left hand corner. I seem to remember someone else with a Quintrix F tube having similar problems. :rolleyes:

9. Dego

Dego

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have also bought an 32PW9527 with a little geometry-problem.
    The dealer told me that it would be difficult or impossible to fix, so I decided to try to fix it in the servicemenu by myself.
    After having written down all the default settings, I went to the servicemenu and made some changes, but I did not save them, anyway after a few seconds (still in the servicemenu) the tv went out and now it will not start up again. When I turn it on, it looks like it will start op normally but after a few seconds (just before the picture should come) the screen begins to make a kind of small flash in a couple of seconds, and then the tv are going out again
    After that the standbydiod blinks with a red colour., and I have to turn the power off and on again if I want to try to start it again.
    Is it possible that the tv by itself, has saved my changes, and is it possible to start the servicemenu in another way to enter the correctly values ?
    Are the tv broken, and is it possible for the dealer to discover that I have been in the servicemenu ?
    It’s maybe not the right tread to post this, but you all seems to know a lot about tv’s and especially the Philips 32PW9527
    I hope anyone can help me

10. ceejay

ceejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

this may not be of much help to you, but I read somewhere that someone with a similar TV (a 9525 I think) had the same problem and it turned out to be the batteries of his remote that were running low.
    He replaced the batteries and everything worked as it was supposed to...

bye

11. Dego

Dego

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ceejay
    Thanks for your replay.
    I tried to change the batteries, but i still have the same problem. The tv simply won't start.
    I wonder if the tv by itself had saved the changes i made, but in that case shouldnt the servicemenu ignor these settings and start up normally , i don't know i think it's strange !
    I hope for more replyes

12. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You think thats weird. I was watching a dvd yesterday and after five minutes a dirty great big black recatangular box appeared a quarter of the way up the screen. About 18" LONG AND 1.5" WIDE. When I changed to 100hz from P+ the box almost dissapeared out of the bottom of the screen. Turn P+ on again and it moves back up. Tried on all sources but it wouldnt go.
    anyway turned the set off and back on again and black bar has gone.:confused: Fortunately it has not come back yet but ive got an engineer to come anyway, just to sort out my wavy geometry.

13. Dego

Dego

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I’am waiting and hoping to get some more replyes, I can tell you that i think that the tube is a philipstube, because i can’t see the small dots anywhere, and the number on the tube is - according to the marker on the tube and some following technical information - Philips W76ERF052X044 – 32PW9527/12.
    In the following technial information, I can also see that they mention a Philips 32PW8907/12 which could be the replacement for the 8807 ??
    It should use the same type of tube as the 9527, and the paper don’t says anything about the 9617

14. Dego

Dego

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greenthumb: Sorry i didn’t saw your reply!
    It seems that a lot of people having problems with there new PP-tv’s, but at least you still have a picture left.
    I don’t have anything but a black screen, and I have just bought ”The Ring”.
    I followed the link that RCT mentioned and thought I was carefully by written down all the default settings, but I still don't know if it was me who caused the problem, or it was a couinsident that the tv went down at the same time.

15. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dego, sorry to hear about what happened to your TV. It may just be coincidence that the TV has broken down... did you alter anything except for the geometry aligments? I think the best thing to do now is to call an engineer and say that the TV just stopped working. I doubt very much that they will be able to tell that you have accessed the service menu, and even if they can they can't prove it was you who accessed it! If they mention the service menu.... you have no idea "what that is or what it does".

Best of luck to you.

16. ceejay

ceejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    FYI, I accidentally cleared the NVRAM on mine once, and I imagine that that is about the worse you can do in the service menu. Everything's gone, al of your presets are gone, you are presented with a picture about the size of a very badly shaped A4-page and the tuner's AGC is messed up to so you get a ****ty image when you try to tune in on any stations.
    To make things even worse, there are no more digital options in your 'PICTURE' menu, the set thinks it's a 4:3 television and it only recognizes 2 scarts... Quite a mess, I tell ya ;-)
    I just drove over to a friend of mine who has the same telly but smaller (32PW9525), got into the service menu, wrote everything down, freaked my friend out by telling him I messed up his TV too - which I hadn't, but it was quite funny - copied all the values in my service menu, and apart from the geometry and the digital options in the 'PICTURE' menu, everything worked again...
    Spent about an hour on geometry, got it even better then before the incident, and finally went into the 'DEMO' menu to toggle DNM on.
    Switched the set off, back on et voilà... digital options in picture menu were back, and the geometry and picture were better than ever before ;-)

So what I'm saying is that if your set is really broken, I don't think it has to do with anything you've done in the service menu...

bye

17. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That is indeed an LG.Philips tube :)

18. Dego

Dego

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone for your replies
    RCT: I didn’t touch anything but the geometry and I didn’t save it, therefore I thing I will do exactly as you tell me, also because I don’t know what else to do, so it’s better to play a little bit of stupid as you say while contacting the dealer.
    CEEJAY: You’re probably right that the problem not is my fault especially when I can see what you have done to your own TV, and still you got away with it, without destroying anything.
    ZACABEB: Got a originally Philips cybertube instead of a panny and then it’s broken, lucky me !

I can tell you all that when it worked, there was no ghosting pictures, and it seemed quiet a bit more sharped than my old 36-9525 without the strange “pixelerrors”, but on panorama it lost it’s sharpnes, I don’t know if it’s got to be that way with PP (I think so), but it didn’t disappear when I turned off the PP, it looked nearly the same I think.
    I am sure that it will take some time to get used to it, and I could imagine that some people simply won’t like it because it don’t look naturally as if you looked at the scene with your one eyes.
    I have one more question I don’t think anyone has answered, IF I really have accidently f….. the geometry settings up, is it then normal that it is impossible to get into the servicemenu ?
    Thanks again.

19. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't worry about it Dego... if the geometry is all you touched then you couldn't have destroyed the set. All that would happen is that the image would look screwed up... the tv would still work!

20. Dego

Dego

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RCT: Thanks again for your words, I won’t worry anymore.
    Gosh it’s a hell of a job to get the TV into the case all alone, but now it’s being transported to the dealer to get fixed and I just have to wait for it.