32PW9527 Widescreen Switching

HowieC

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am investigating the possibility that the W/S switching system can be adjusted.
Is there anyone whose 32pw9527 switches correctly between 4:3 & 16:9, ie without the 4:3 being stretched. It seems that there may be a couple of different software settings.
If yours switches ok please post, and I'll get in touch.

Ta

Mine doesn't switch at all. That's one of the reasons why I'm returning it back.
It only switches when in auto mode. But then the picture is always streched and distorted. This is not acceptable for such a high end product. This alone would justify to not buying it.

Is this the same for the 9617 model????I was thiking of getting the 9527 but if theres problems??

I think Philips have messed up with the software in the 9527.

I believe that is NOT the case with the 9617 in that it auto switches correctly between a non stretched 4:3 and a 16:9 picture.

Is this for all 9527 that the software is messed up???
Damn was going to get one within the next for my new house.

No one in the forum has yet confirmed that this funtionality works in their 9527. Until we hear otherwise, I would assume that all 9527's are effected.

Just to reiterate what Binesh said: The 9617 does not have any 16:9/4:3 switching issues at all.

I should know... I have one :D

I have just recently bought the philips 329527c which definately switches properly between the 16:9 & 4:3 modes. In fact I have on occasion watched normal tv using this 4:3 mode so as not to over stretch the picture, although I actually think that even in 16:9 mode or auto fit that it shows little sign of over stretching the picture anyway.
Regards Carl

Defiant11

Can you please confirm that your 9527 will switch automatically between 16:9 and 4:3(black l & r).
If so on what setting of the picture format.
If yours functions correctly would you be willing to obtain some service mode settings (quite painless) for me?

HowieC,
I may have mis-understood what you were getting at as to the switching problem. I thought you meant that your tv physicaly didnt switch properly between these two modes at all, not that it didnt do it automaticaly. It was late when I read it, lol.
I have mine set in the auto format mode. Although it does not ever switch to 4:3 mode it does continually change the picture size to the best fit as the instruction manual states.
Watching tv you can clearly see the picture resizing to best fit.
I would presume this is what philips meant.

Regards Carl

ps- If it is meant to resize between 16:9 & 4:3 I would be interested to hear, although I doubt it will, and besides when all said and done do you really want to waste all that wide screen watching 4:3 anyway.

Originally posted by defiant11
do you really want to waste all that wide screen watching 4:3 anyway.

Well, actually many people do... it is always best to watch a transmission in its original intended format, this way you see the entire picture without any distortion.

I agree with rct.

As an example, with your TV in Auto Format mode, try going to Sky News. Half the clock at the top right is not visible. Of course it does not matter when watching the news but what if you are watching a movie and missing some of the vital action/detail because of the stretched picture? I would find this very annoying indeed.

Have been loooking at Phillips 9527's today. Could someone explain in laymans terms what the exact problem is. Have had demo's and has been swapped from 4:3 to 16:9 using the remote and did not notice any problem. Is the problem with Auto Format/Auto Screen Fit???:confused:
If it is, we aren't too bothered as we intend on watching most things in 16:9.
thanks

Just found this thread doing a search.

Can any 9527 owners tell me what modes the tv generally siwtches between?. The reason i ask is that on my brothers much older philips tv, when viewed through skydigital (which i imagine you have to do for auto switching), the picture generally switches between 16:9 (adverts & some programs), and 14:9. The 14:9 setting leaves a black border either side of about an inch.

cheers

dean

The 9527 has a setting called autoformat which switches between 16:9 and a black bar sensing "fill the screen" mode.
If you want 4:3 or 14:9 with side bars you have to select them manually.

the 14:9 is a nice compromise IMO, and its shame the 9527 doesent do it automatically :-(

dean

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom