1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PW8717 or 32PW9617?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by waldopepper, Jun 29, 2003.

1. waldopepper

waldopepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi - I'm moving and have some money spare for a decent TV to fill the huge living room in our new flat.
    I have narrowed the search down to Philips 32PW8717 (£700) or 32PW9617 (£1000).

I wasn't aware of any drawbacks to either of these 2 tvs until I found these v. useful forums. I now know about the problems that you guys have had with both of these sets.

Basically I was wondering, considering problems listed here, which is better. Either the cheaper 8717 with which I would buy a decent home cinema audio with (LX3700 probably).
    By the way, has anyone got this? I think it must be quite new as I can't find any review anywhere. Digitial input (for PS2 and the 3 disc changer are a real positive).

Or the more expensive 9617 with pixel plus (but no av system for at least now). Is the sound kit with the 9617 no where near as good as a dedicated system, or will it do to the untrained ear for a while? I like my movies loud, but I don't want to **** of the new neighbours as soon as I move in.
    If I turn off pixel plus on the 9617, is the picture quality still better than the 8717?

Any thoughts? Either way its about £1000. What would you go for?

thx

2. kevster

kevster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the pictures will be very similar with PP+ off - I was in the same dilemma and after reading about PP+ issues went with the 8807 - very similar to the 8717. I too am going to purchase an amp and ext. speakers and really enjoy the pictures of the set with or without DRM on.