1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PL1 Right choice??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by yrrab, Mar 1, 2002.

1. yrrab

yrrab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having thought long and hard about the 32PB50, I (and mainly the wife!!) decided that we didn't really need to spend £1300 on a tv so I plumped for going for a TX32PL1.
    I know there have been some probs, but out of blind faith and stupidity I ordered one from Empire Direct and it arrived yesterday.
    I have a blueish part of a circle on the right hand side about 3 inches in and 3-4 inches long, and less noticable as their closer to the edge, longer sides of the circle on the left hand side.
    I am not that impressed with the picture, but whatever is causing the circle may be having an effect on it overall.
    I have removed videos, scart connections, tried input from cable and RF, all make no difference.
    I have just contacted Empire who said an engineer will have to come and verify before they will exchange. I can see this one going on weeks!!
    There was a time when tv,s were 21,25 or if you were loaded 28 inch and nobody that I know had a problem with them.
    What has happened to technology that nobody it seems can make a widescreen tv without a fault now??

Mr Frustrated:mad:

2. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ignored a fair bit of forum disdain myself, largely because the comments were about the PK3 and I assumed Panasonic would have updated the spec for the new range (they didn't). So I can understand your "blind faith" in some ways because the reviews are SO complimentary. I've since learnt that comments from 'real' people who have owned a set for a while are a much better judge of its merits and some magazines seem blind to certain flaws (flickery lines, static bars and scrolling bars simply don't exist in their eyes).

I had coloured blobs on the screen of my PL1 aswell, although mine were more of a yellowish brown than a blue. I have to say that they were the least of my concerns though, I didn't even mention them in my posts because I thought it might make me sound like a ranting lunatic! (and I had about 5 other serious things things to moan about already!).

I've said it before and I'll say it again though.... The PL1 is just a PK3 in a new casing, so why all the fuss?. It looks beautiful (a work of art even), but the TV inside the shell isn't anything like as appealing as the chassis suggests. Look, the PK3 wasn't especially great in the first place and as you've discovered, the picture quality isn't anything to get excited about even without all the faults. I read a handfull of postings complaining about flickery banding and some heinous RGB shortcomings (PK3 & PL1) before buying one, but (like you) the reputation of Panasonic and the glowing reviews convinced me I'd be safe to buy one. I guess some lessons have to be learnt the hard way....

To level things up a bit, someone on here said they'd just bought a 32" PL1 and were very happy with it. I hasten to add that they were using S-Video connections for DVD though, so I'm not sure how much stock you can put in those comments. It's possible that the 32" is slightly different to the 28" equivalent in some ways and maybe it only has SOME of the same problems?.

Good luck with the replacement/repair/exchange anyway.

3. yrrab

yrrab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ND

I had a call from the service agents for Empire on Friday evening to say an engineer would come on Monday between 10 and 4 (obviously work scheduling not a great strongpoint). Kind of wastes a whole of a day as far as I'm concerned waiting for a verification of a fault on a 4 day old television (not impressed)
    To tell you the truth I'm so deflated about the whole thing as for years I couldn't wait to get a w/screen tv that I think I shall get a refund and stick to a plain old vanilla 4:3 28inch, and save myself a stink load of money.
    Hopefully when thats due for replacement the manufacturers will have got their s**t together.
    I'll let you know what happens.

4. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It's sad to hear your views. I understand many people, including yourself encounter problems with widescreens TV's, but everyone I know (and that a few people) who own a widescreen TV could never go back to 4x3 screens and are very happy. They all own a variety of models and screen sizes and all are happy with them, even though many on this forums complain about the very same models.

I too am an owner of the Panasonic TX36PF10 and can't be happier ever since I got it, 2 years ago.

Don't give up so easily.