1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PF9986 vs. 32PF9976

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tasaf, Mar 1, 2005.

1. tasaf

tasaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I know that the 32PF9986 is the winner.
    I want to know why ?
    technical spec :
    Same panel (from sharp ??)
    Pixel Plus 2 vs. Pixel Plus
    Ambilight vs. none
    Digital Natural Motion vs. none

Is it a real advantages ?
    Does it influence static picture more than video ?

2. petofi

petofi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good question-
    I'm between the two of them, too.
    Aesthetically, I prefer the 76 because I don't like the look of three borders.
    Also, my wife doesn't seem to care for the Ambilight...but the way most
    people write about it, it would be a mistake not to get it. So it seems.
    And with the tv so expensive, it's not an error one can correct easily..

3. Max1

Max1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Dutch friend working for Phillips told me that the only difference between these two models is the ambilight, the firmware version (Pixel plus or pixel plus 2) and of course THE PRICE.

He was giggling when he said that. Otherwise the sets, technically speaking, are absolutely THE SAME.

Don’t believe? Put the two sets side by side and try to find any difference. You won’t be able to.

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound from the 9986 is better, it has better speakers and a separate subwoofer.
    When comparing them side-by-side in shops I was amazed that there was a big difference in picture quality as well, apparently due to the pixel plus 2. But you have to judge for yourself.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is more to it than that. They are basically the same, but as you all say, the PP2 is missing, the sound is not as good, there is no Ambilight and it only has one terrestrial tuner.

The 9976 is a fine TV and PQ is nearly on a par with the 9986 providing you feed it good quality source signals. This is where the PP2 really shines...it can extract very serviceable pictures from dire feeds. In fact the 9986 is probably the best TV on the market for this.

Take your pick!

Jimmy

6. Max1

Max1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sure, everyone has to judge for yourself. But anyone slightly familiar with a bit of human psychology will tell you that many times we see what we want to see.

Put two sets side by side leaving just the screens visible and not knowing which is which. You’ll be amazed with your judgments.

Most of our judgments are self-suggestion or autohypnosis.

The two TVs have 90% identical hardware, except as you rightly pointed the speakers and the light. The pixel 2 vs. pixel 1 difference is at the level of firmware only, and more of a marketing thing than reality.

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking again on the site I see I made a mistake: the set I compared with was not the 32pf9976 but the 32pf9956. The 9976 does not seem to be available here.

W.r.t. hardware vs software: if there is anything that matters, it is software.
    I can show you the same PC running Windows or Linux, and they will have completely different personality.
    It would not be the first time that a manufacturer sells two nearly the same products with only some configuration and/or software differences for different price, and each one appeals to some group. Of course they make more money on the group that pays more for the same TV, but as long as there is no publicly known way to load the 9986 software in another TV, what can we do?

(I have an ADSL modem that at that time was available in versions with router/firewall and without. Of course with router it cost more. After a while it became known that you could set some bit in service mode and convert a modem into a router/firewall...)

8. tasaf

tasaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, the Ambilight and Pixel Plus 2 do make a significant difference.
    I read that the 37" Philips has the same quality since firmware 2.1 although it is a LG.Philips S-IPS panel while the 32" has a Sharp panel. I wonder why Philips did not use their S-IPS panel for the 32".

I am returning my LG LCD 32" with the S-IPS which works great with PC. THe problem is that it has a yellow tint with PAL signal and I do not have a Color Temperature adjustment, it has this option with NTSC signal (I wonder why ?). The S-IPS panel is a fast one and works great.

BTW, I like the JVC 32" with great deep color but it does not have any PC connection.

9. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was under the impression that the 37" has Sharp panels as well. It has the same characteristics as the Sharp (800:1, 500cd/m2). The 37" S-IPS panel has different characteristics (1200:1, 600 cd/m2). Philips would certainly use those figures in their advertisements if they used the S-IPS panel.

- Jerry

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As far as I'm aware the S-IPS panels have not been used by Philips at all yet. With their new PF 9380 coming out soon with the new Philips 'clear' technology it would appear that they are not going to use at at all! The only TV that I'm aware that does use this panel is the Syntax Olevia which is marketed in The States.

There will be others, but none that come to mind.

Jimmy

11. Jepsen

Jepsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimsan

Does this means that the philips 9986 32" and 37" has Sharp panels?

12. tasaf

tasaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just came back from a retailer where I saw the 32PF9976 in action. As you all know and said - the colors are great. Very impressive.

Its main problem is the jaggy video. I think it is the deintarlacer fault. I hope Philips has already addressed this problem with the PP2.

What is the difference between 32PF9986(UK) and 32PF9996(US) ?
    The price difference is quite big.
    Is the US version is less PAL compatible ?