1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PF9986 v.s 32WL48P

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Hillskill, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,284
    Been doing my research on these two screens over the past week and have found the information on these forums invaluable. After originally being very cautious of buying an LCD without a HDMI I have decided that the Phillips is by far and away a superior TV in terms of features and styling. I am now confident a DVI will be addequate in my hunt for future proofing ( i.e HI -DEF compatibility).
    I now have a couple of questions which I hope someone maybe able to help me with.

1.) Which DVD player would you reccommend would best compliment the 9986 for a DVI output and upscale pal/ntsc DVD's. I would also like the player to have a component output, DIVX compatibility and be multi-region ?

2.) I am going to be purchasing my screen from John Lewis. I am going to try and get them to price match with a internet store but I understand they will only do this if the internet store also have a high street store. Can anyone recommend who to best use for a price match ?

Any help would be appreciated. :smashin:

2. breakdown

breakdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got an e-mail from prcdirect this morning to say that they had them in stock priced at £1957.

hope this helps

3. Warp

Warp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Samsung HD745 DVD player satisfies your requirement and is very good for £100.

4. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,284

This is perfect, exactly what I needed.

Thanx :thumbsup:

5. NeilScarrott

NeilScarrott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do John Lewis match prcdirect? I thought they were internet only? Let me know if your successful!

Neil

6. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,284
    I had a look at thier website and it looks as though they have a branch in ilford essex. Im pricematching in the Bluewater John Lewis so they can't argue it isn't local. I am going to pay for the TV instore tomorrow.

7. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FWIW What hi-fi has a review of these two in it this month, but it still quotes the Philips as £3k!

andy c!

8. breakdown

breakdown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

let us know how you get on as I am going on holiday tommorow but upon my return i will be trying to do the same thing at John Lweis in bluewater.

cheers :)

9. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    makes me laugh that mags always quote RRP and then talk about how £1900 for the tosh 32wl48p is a bargain at that price!

10. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just shows you have to treat the mags with a bit of a pinch of salt - good for narrowing down etc but not much else....

This forum is as good a review site as I have seen for AV stuff = mainly from the people who have purchased and tested the item themselves e.g. jimsan with the Philips... :D

andy c!

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This Toshiba is currently the only real available competition for the 9986. It is an excellent TV but is really only getting its consistent 5star ratings because it so cheap. Its PQ is still not quite up to the 9986's level, but, at the price, is excellent value.

Jimmy

12. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I beg to differ!
    I find the motion processing in the 32WL48 to be extremely good. Colours are good too. HD-compatibility with HDMI is a big plus, although I have yet to test this. Component input works well. The picture looks very natural with good source material, and I can't wait to test with a HD-source!

In contrast I find Sony's to be over-sharp, unnaturally so.

BTW, I paid £1300 for my 32WL48! :)

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wasn't comparing the Tosh with Sony TV's. The Tosh wins that contest easily. It's the Philips 9986 that has the edge on the Tosh. Not too much in it with really good sources, its the 9986's abilities with poor sources that keeps it ahead of the pack.

Jimmy

14. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That is possible. I have used the Tosh with Freeview (on s-video) and DVD on component. Both look good. Freeview varies a lot depending on transmission quality. Good Freeview looks very, very good (over s-video). Due to 16:9 aspect it actually beats DVD in some ways...

I have heard warnins about the reliability of the Philips.
    I have not seen the Toshiba and the Philips side by side.

Personally I don't care all that much about the picture quality with poor signals. I do care about DVD and future HD.

15. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hear, hear, The Phillips weakness is that it is made by Phillips! Well known for problems, usually of the niggly kind, but problems all the same. Who else could come out with a product where you have such a component/DVI screw up, buzzing, etc. The PQ may be good but then it is on Sharp, Tosh etc. The main factor in PQ is making sure that you have it set up properly in the first place. Jimsan loves his Phillips and good luck to him, but his enthusiastic postings should not mis-lead people into believing this is the only set to buy.IMHO

16. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think price must also be concidered. The Tosh is better than all others in some ways, and still the cheapest at a real-world price of £1300!

Buzzing: The Tosh can also buzz on certain backlight brightness settings. I tend to use maxumum backlight all the time though -which means it is quiet.

My information about the Philip's poor reliability comes from a local reseller I know well.

BTW, all LCD:s lack a bit of dynamic range -i.e very black blacks. I decided HD-ability, light weight and good price was more important than the huge dynamic range of a good plasma (although I have heard, rightly or wrongy, that plasmas are not as fantastic as the specs lead you to believe.)

17. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I think y'all have highlighted above that it's important to get a list of priorities when selecting a set costing as much as this.

My wife watches sky a lot, hence the philips choice over the Tosh, as the former is more forgiving of more average signals. She also liked the ambi-light feature too. We got our set for £1900 incl a warranty taking the total cover to 5 years.

http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/sites/itemview.asp?productx=32PF9986

The philips is HD ready due to the dvi in put, and can process any of the suggested signals that sky hd are reported to be putting out...

After that I'm sure we'll be ready to switch to something else.

I don't diss anyone for taking the decision to get the Tosh - my Philips replaced a Tosh 32" CRT after all.

The important thing is to be informed in making your decision, and then be happy with it, after doing the research on the product you wish to buy.

I also find it interesting that the overwhelming posting on this forum that I have read is about the 32pf9986, whether good or developmental, when there has been little on the Tosh (I assume the Tosh is a new model and that's why this is the case...)

regards,

andy c!

18. darkan9el

darkan9el

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    After a torturous few months of research and countless disappointments, coupled with TV model numbers that only scientists in the field of quantum string theories can relate to, my mate and me; hi Andy c, decided upon the superb Philips 32PF9986.

I have stepped up from the heady heights of a Goodman’s 28 standard TV, so my jump is more of a quantum leap in terms of TV quality.
    I have to say; even though I may not be an AV tech, the features and picture quality are excellent; aided by the ubiquitous jimsan and his settings.

I’m sure with a lot of time on my hands and a magnifying glass I could find some sort of fault, but unfortunately I got a life.
    :smashin:

19. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The very point I was making in my origional post on this thread was that the Tosh is a genuine alternative to the 9986! My point was that, for the money, the Tosh is superb value, but that it's ultimate PQ falls slightly short of the 9986.

jimg, this thread is brilliant in that it is now highlighting two of the three TV's that are at the top end of current LCD performance and availability. (The Loewe sets are a bit dearer and not so available).

It's a close fight........Tosh - Good picture, excellent connectivity, a bit bland, fantastic value. Philips - Brilliant picture, good connectivity, Ambilight, designer looks, iffy QC, and good value (if you can get it for under two grand).

Like I say, it's close. Take your choice......(or wait for the 9380!)

Jimmy

20. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,284
    For those who wanted to know how I got on with my Pricematch at John Lewis. I went in to the Bluewater branch Saturday morning, I filled out all the necessary forms and I was told that the undersale department will have to check out the competitors price. They are hopefully going to ring me today and let me know if I can buy at that price.

21. longboy

longboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL Watford are selling the 32PF9986 for a shade under 2 grand as a local competitor has it at that price.
    Surely JL anywhere ought to be able to match with their own store.
    (N.B. I ordered one myself on Saturday 12/03 and it is being delivered from one of their distribution centres to my house in central London. I take delivery on Wednesday 16th)

22. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is because I got them to PM against Hi-Spek in St Albans just after Xmas. Hi-Spek are on the web but have a store with a 9986 on display.

Also, JL Edinburgh will PM against any Internet store with a retail outlet anywhere in the UK. JL Glasgow finally gave me my best price on the 9986 @ £1937, back in January - I think that was low because Robert Whyte based in Glasgow sell them pretty cheap, including a 5 yr warranty as well.

23. Nelmo

Nelmo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Anyone know where I can order the Tosh from??!! Driving me nuts - spent weeks deciding and now I can't get the damn thing!

My main issue for getting the Tosh (which no-one else seems to care about) is the width - I want my screen to sit at an angle and the Philips is 200mm wider than the Tosh.

So, any hints (Patrick_f - where did you get yours and when?)?

24. TonyK

TonyK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so the Tosh is good but not quite as good as the Philips (especially through HDMI ?). The Tosh is, however, a good bit cheaper. My question is has anyone compared the Tosh against the 9976. The 9976 is a similar price to the Toshiba so is perhaps a fairer comparison.

I am interested as I have an alcove and the 9986 simply does not fit in the space.

25. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9976 is possibly better in some ways than the Tosh. Basically the little bruv to the 9986 with only PP2 and Ambilight missing. Oh yeah, it only has one terrestrial tuner. PQ on good sources virtually identical to 9986.

Jimmy

26. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    See my posting:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1530392&postcount=4

I bought it November 23rd last year.
    I really liked TV & Video Direct as a company. End of March is not far away, so if they will deliver end of March I wouldn't hesitate! (But check with them first!)