1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PF9986 -- time to take the plunge

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jone, Feb 19, 2005.

1. jone

jone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've followed the debates, noted the shortcomings regarding connectivity and listened to the arguments for and against PP2. I've tried to get a decent demo, but it seems most of the large retailers (JL included) seem to think that the best way to sell an LCD is to cram their shops full of them and then feed them all from a single dodgy aerial. But what the heck, I'm gonna get one anyway and see whether this screen really is the bees knees.

So if this is all a big conspiracy to get me to part with the best part of £2K, I'll be coming after quite a few of you -- and Jimmy will be at the top of the list!

So could someone please let me know the going rate for John Lewis price matches on this model (I seem to recall it's a little over £1900) and who I need to match against? If it's RGB, does JL match their internet price or do I need to phone RGB to get their in-store price?

Cheers,

Jon.

2. osbornej76

osbornej76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are making a good investment. The ONLY downside is no component.

Other than that.. I am very happy!

Jim

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Jon,

As long as you don't get one of the buzzy ones or a v1.3 and you pay attention to what I tell you on how to get it working properly, you'll be a happy boy!

It's a fantastic TV and if you don't like it, buddy, I'll be coming after you!

So there....

Jimmy

4. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hello mate, I got mine from JL in Cribbs, they did a price match for me, got it for £1949 in the end against an RGB price, its also a version 2.0 set, and with all the help from Jimsan and the other guys on here it looks fantastic! It amazes me everyday!! Go for it! you wont be disapointed! :thumbsup:

5. jone

jone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, Cribbs is my local JL too. When you asked for a price match, did you just phone up or did you go into the store?

Also, when matching against RGB, did you give JL the phone number for one of the RGB stores (they're not local after all) or did they match the RGB-Direct price?

Cheers,

Jon.

6. Timepiece

Timepiece
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting for me as a newcomer here. I'm also after the 32PF9986 and have, this morning, phoned JL at Southampton and Cribbs. Both say they don't pricematch internet or discount stores, but will match any store in the country offering the same package. They also said the 5 year guarantee is given free and, therefore, not taken into account in the price match:)

This is excellent news, but does anyone know of a store rather than a web only outlet, with good prices? I specifically mentioned RGB to which I was told they do not match against, possibly though because I suggested it was a web price that I had for comparison.

Any help welcomed, and thanks for a huge amount of info on this TV.

Mel

7. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I just rang them and got a reference number for the price match, and all i did was mention there name, as they do have shops anyway, may depend on the person you speak to, im afraid i dont remember the name of the lady i spoke to but she was very helpful and came back to me the following day, i did mention however that one of there stores in scotland were already offering the unit on special at £1999, Glasgow i think, you may want to check if thats still the case, may help you out?

8. jone

jone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've gone and done it! John Lewis will be delivering my shiny new 32PF9986 on Thursday (which also happens to be my birthday :thumbsup: ). In the end I got JL at Cribbs Causeway to pricematch one of their other stores (£1999 at Welwyn). I had previously intended to ask them to pricematch RGB, but RGB are out of stock at the moment (and I couldn't wait any longer!).

So things I know I need to do:

1) Check the version of the firmware. I understand that 2.0 and above are OK right? What will the version string look like?

2) Change the default settings. I'll be watching analogue TV through a standard aerial and DVD over RGB for the time being at least -- what are the recommended settings? Apologies for asking this (I know it's been asked loads of times before).

3) Sit back, open a beer and enjoy.

Have I missed anything?

Cheers,

Jon.

9. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got mine from JL Edinburgh who pm'ed Hi-Spek in St Albans at £1999. I then saw that JL Glasgow had it at £1937 and got another £62 back!

Alan

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  11. jone

jone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My spanking new 32PF9986 arrived on Thursday (my birthday) and all I can say is BELIEVE THE HYPE! This has got to be the best LCD on the market at present. Firmare v2.2, no audible buzzing.

Picture quality from a standard aerial is excellent and DVD playback via a pretty good RGB Scart is fantastic. Can't wait to get a progressive scan DVD player to see just how good it can be.

Ambilight is just something else. Watching the TV adjust the colour and intensity in tune with the picture is quite fascinating -- this may sound rather crazy, but it almost gives the TV a soul! The Ambilight can also provide extra atmosphere to a room when the TV is switched off -- shame there isn't a mode which provides a constantly changing light pattern
    without a video source.

Thanks to everyone (esp Jimmy) for recommending this TV -- viewing will never be the same again!

Jon.

12. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AHHHHHH....Another convert!

Jimmy

13. vk2003

vk2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    JL in glasgow now at £2037...so had my local branch PM against that. However have 28 days to find a cheaper price and claw back some more cash, so, if anyone knows of another cheaper stoer price where the screen is in stock, please do post.

Oh, and thanks to Jimsan for all the advice/help, and curse you :devil: also for making me spend 2.2K today (including av table)

14. petofi

petofi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from your Isle, boys. Man, she's beautiful! (We stayed
    in the Cotswolds.)

Still haven't gotten my lcd television but I note you cats throwing around the figure of L2000 for a 32 incher. Ain't that dear? I thought the prices were dropping dramatically this year (according to some websites). If that's the price of a 32, what are they asking for the 37? 42? Need some useful pts. of comparison, fellas...