1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PF9986 Stand Size problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Alan111S, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having lurked here for a while, I have seen a 32PF9986 and a 32WL48 side-by-side today at John Lewis, Glasgow. They are installed in the Surround Sound room and were playing Monsters Inc via SCART. Of course, no one was available to give a demo! So I gave myself one....

My wife was with me too and we both agreed the PQ was slightly sharper on the Philips. Great I thought, a decision can be made. However, there is one slight problem - I want to mount in front of my almost redundant fireplace (we never use it) and I have a plinth that is a foot (31cm) deep. That is just big enough to take the Tosh but the Philips stand seems way too big. Is there any way I can get the Philips to fit?

:lease:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Alan and welcome!

The Philips id the one to have....correct decision. I don't know how the set was hooked up in the shop, but just wait 'til you get it hooked up to a Progressive Scan player, through it's component adapter with the PixelPlus2 doing it's thing....you'll be gobsmacked! Just had some friends round tonight and they couldn't believe what they were seeing!......and then there's the Ambilight...great.

Anyway, if you check out the thread thats asking for pictures of folks TV's you'll find a wee piccie of mine. It sits on a glass stand, but importantly, its stand is only 9 inches total from front to back and no part of the TV overhangs this. So the 1 ft deep plinth will be plenty deep. The TV is 1 metre wide and the stand is 28 in wide.

Anymore info?

Jimmy

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I wouldn't base any demo on viewing an animated film. No matter what the display is, it should look fantastic which is why shops like to demo their TV's using animated films. To get an idea of a screens true capabilities, you need to look that the sources that you will be using, Freeview, Cable, Analogue, Sky plus view a decent output from a DVD that is playing a film which contains fast action and dark contrasty scenes. You must also bear in mind that screens out of the box will be overly bright to capture your eye in the shop. So getting an idea of whether a screen had been adjusted for this would also be beneficial.

-Ian

4. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that, jimsan ... I saw that thread and the pic of yours. I gathered you have been raving about it since you got yours a few weeks ago. In the shop the stand was a lot deeper for some reason. Maybe that one was for a different TV.

Ianh64, I turned the contrast down on the Philips - it was at 100!. I take your point regarding sources, but since both were showing the same picture I thought it was a useful comparison. We don't watch off-air much because I am a TiVo and Sky user, plus DVDs. Hardly watch any sport, although I do like action movies. Sky is just the free channels and I don't watch the crap ones. So it is mainly the BBC1 - Five plus BBC3/4 and Kids stuff and the music channels that we watch. I have an old Toshiba 4:3 and a Samsung 709 DVD player at the moment which will also be upgraded. Rest of the kit is Sony DB930 Amp and Monitor Audio speakers plus REL sub. So as you can see the TV is the weakest point of the system.

Anyhow thanks for your help. Now to order one. I'd prefer to get one from JL and price match - don't worry I have checked that thread as well!

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the swivel stands may be deeper than the fixed stands. Slightly difficult to compare with mine as I have the 37", but that sits on a 34cm deep swivel stand. (John Lewis should be able to advise)