1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32pf9986 picture quality when viewing Sport

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by craigsomers, Jan 25, 2005.

1. craigsomers

craigsomers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have today purchased a 32pf9986 after reading all the Threads on this site bigging it up. I am really impressed with it however I am having trouble setting up a picture configuration that suits my viewing. I watch alot of sport and have Sky+ connected via Scart lead. I find that there is alot of what I call Pixalation where the screen goes blurry on fast movement.

I have not tweaked any of the setting yet and wondered if anybody had any recomended settings for my setup. :lease:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK Craig, here we go....

First, is your Sky box outputting RGB? Ensure it is and ensure connected to Ext1 on the TV. Good Scart? Poor scarts will wreck the picture.

Into the setup menu. Across one to 'Picture'.
    Down one to Smart Picture. It should be defaulted to 'Personal'.
    Down one to 'Contrast' - set to 63.
    Down one to 'Brightness' - set to mid 50's.
    Down to 'Colour' - set 60 - 70.
    Down to 'Sharpness' - set to 2.
    'Tint' - normal.
    'Digital Options' - Movie Plus (Normally)
    'Dynamic Contrast' - Mine's at Minimum, but you should experiment.
    'DNR' - Minimum. Inrease this if your watching crummy quality signals.
    'Colour enhancemant' - On.

Go through the sound options and ensure the Loudness is Off and the surround mode is Off.

You have to realise that LCD TV's are at their best when viewing DVD's through digital sources and that sports broadcasts at the moment are not their strongest suit. However, you have had the sense to buy one of the best (arguable the best) LCD currently on the market. Set it up right and it'll pay you back handsomly. In a year or so Sky will start broadcasting HiDef programming. The footie should be awesome!

Welcome to Club9986.

Jimmy

3. craigsomers

craigsomers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap:

Thanks , Much Better results, I am more than pleased with the DVD picture quality as you said it would be ,and this has now made the sport a whole lot better. Will continue to play with settings but changing to the above has made a big difference. Thanks Again

I must agree with other threads best 2k I've spent for ages.

Cheers
    :D :D :D :D

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just thought I'd post an update on the settings for the 9986 and the 9976. I have noticed a 'Halo' effect around rapidly moving objects when the background is complex. It seems to reduce significantly if you run the PP2 setting on 'Movie Plus'. This is still PP2 but uses reduced edge management processing. This seems to reduce this halo and I'm damned if I can see any reduction in PQ.

Jimmy

Sorry, this seems confusing as the origional settings post has been updated to recommend the Movie Plus setting now anyway....

5. bluem

bluem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jimsan,thanks for all your help,hope im not a pain