1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32pf9986 mmmm

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by WHITEWIDOW, Jan 3, 2005.

1. WHITEWIDOW

WHITEWIDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys new to av been reading threads some good imfo on ere bought 9986 5 weeks ago from empire direct and am frilled to bits with it ave also checked and is 2.1 version[pew] that phillips advice line is a load of :censored: they told me that it was ok to run my monitor lead [pc]through the dvi socket with the dvi conecters on each end which is true but wat they did not say is that a normal vga monitor will not work it has 2 be a full blown dvi lead [straitthrough] to work with pc i confess to been no mastermind wen it comes 2 av and ave ad my ed in bits 4 4 weeks now :mad: idiots am very pleased with new lcd it plays comp games superb [first shooter games] and tv not bad either i dont ave sky digi wat is the best way of gettin an even better pic am runnin down normal areil at moment?if it is a dvd can i run it thru dvi socket aswell as comp?and wat is PQ? in der :suicide: terms[simpleton]if it is dvd will i still get a good pic wen watchin normal tv i think u lot of brain boxs call it [tereserial tv]not scared of spendin a bit of money already spent 2000+ on lcd and would advise any 1 who is thinkin of the 9986 just go 4 it u will not be dissapointed styling wise i do notthink there is a better lcd on market really nice bit of kit back light fort it waz a gimic not so shaw now?? makes screen look even bigger? :thumbsup: if u want advice then phillips is a :nono: they do not ave a clue u are a very foolish person [like me]listening 2 them????

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Here we go WhiteWidow,

Glad you have the v2.1 version. The TV does a pretty good job of Terrestrial feed pictures. (Arial feed). As long as you have reasonable reception.

Sky or Freeview will provide you with a better picture which can be connected to the TV with Scart leads. Scarts 1 and 2 are RGB enabled which means that the picture should perform really well.

The DVI socket can be used in conjunction with the DVI/VGA/Component adapter lead you got with the TV. Connect this to a DVD player that has a Progressive Scan output through component connections. This provides a fantastic picture, but requires a bit of setting up. Don't be frightened to ask!

Or if you want to spend a bit more you can buy a DVD player that outputs High Definition pictures digitally through an HDMI connection. This is as good a source as you can get at the moment, but from what I have read, is only marginally better than the Progressive Scan input from the cheaper DVD players. This is probably because of the effect that PixelPlus2 has on this picture. It effectively doubles the amount of active pixels, providing an awesome picture.

You seem to have your computer working though the TV quite well, so we'll leave that be at the moment.

I hope this is of help to you..

Jimmy

3. WHITEWIDOW

WHITEWIDOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi jimsan i ll probly go with progressive scan if u think it is marginly better can i run comp at same time is that through dvi or a scart socket ?and do i only get the really good pict wen dvd is actually playing or will i get it if the dvd is on stand by aswell?im after a dvd +surround sound could u recomend some 1 4 me

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    WhiteWidow,

To run the DVD player with the Progressive Scan, you need to use the DVI connection, so this means that both the DVD player and your computer would have to share the same connection.

There are a couple of ways around this.
    1. Connect them both through either a DVI twin connector, or use a DVI switching box.
    Or,
    2. Just connect the DVD player via one of the RGB Scarts. You'll lose the Progressive part of the display, but the picture will still be RGB and still excellent.

I can only recommend the Cinema System I am using myself. It is a Denon DHT-500SD one box system. I'll give you a quick run down. It has a very good built in Progressive Scan DVD player. It outputs 600w total through its 5 satellite speakers and its passive SubWoofer. It has Dolby ProLogicIIx sound processing as well as most of the other ones - DTS, Neo6 etc. It is beautifully built and works a treat!. It should be available online for around £400.

The really high quality picture you get with a DVD player is only apparent whilst playing the DVD. It will not significantly improve your terrestrial feed Picture Quality (PQ). It can, however improve some signals, by upgrading them from Composite to Component, but I think this will be of little use to you at this stage.

Jimmy

5. ivanch

ivanch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've been having a look and can't find where to buy a Dvi twin connector.

Any suggestions?

Cheers :)

Ivan

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, Ivan, there are DVI switchers, but they are expensive. You can get VGA twin connection boxes cheaply though, if that'll do.

Jimmy