32PF9986 - Help needed!!!

M

Matt Radford

Hello All,

Im a new member to this forum!

After spending the last week reading all of your coments on the Philips 32PF9986 I decided to take the plunge and just has it delivered today!! :)
from TVDirect for 1926!

I must say its an excellent TV, with outstanding picture quality. Ive got it on its table stand at the moment, but I am soon getting it wall mounted!

Thanks to everyones coments I checked the firmware and it was 2.1, and managed to get my new Philips SVP720SA working with it through the component video. I would of stood no chance of working it all out without all your coments on how to do it!!!! - couldn't even work out what coloured RCA connections to make to the back of my DVD player!!!

I have a couple of outstanding questions - if anyone can help!

1) The OSD settings for on screen display seem to give you two options (Normal, Minimal). Normal - shows volume bar when you change the volume, but it also shows the channel name - EG EXT1 at the top left of the screen which I do not want to see!!! - If I switch to minimal setting on OSD then the channel name goes away but so does the volume display for when the volume is displayed!!! - Is there any way to set it up so that the volume display shows on the screen when you change the volume, but without the channel display being left in the top left corner the screen!!!!

Seems a silly question, but ive checked and cannot find the answer in the instructions, or menu options!!

2) For wall mounting with the wall bracket, I don't want the cables to be visible so I am going to get them chased into the wall, what I am not sure about is where to have them coming out? - in other words when positioning the bracket on the wall, is it best to have the cables coming out at the bottom of the screen area as thats where the sockets are, as Im worried that this would make the cables visible!!! - or is there enougth of a back when the screens mounted to have the cables coming out in the middle, so they run down from the middle area of the screen to the sockets at the bottom, with the screen resting on them!? - Im looking at chasing the power, flat quality scart, and quality component cables.

3) VGA to Component connector looks naff quality. Can a all in one Component to DVI cable be bought that would work, or do I still need to keep the DVI-VGA connector, and purchase a better quality VGA to Conponent cable, also where can I get one from, and whats recocommended?

4) Seen in leaflet that philips do a "all in one" cable that looks like a metal trunk with all the cables you need in it including power, DVI, component, scart etc, has anyone got one of these, and if so where can you get them from and are the quality of them any good!!? - I havent checked the philips website yet!!!

Sorry for so many questions - its my first Flat panel TV. PS: DVD though component/progressive scan has superb pic quality :thumbsup: - glad I replaced my old Wharfdale DVD 750 with the new Philips DVP720SA at the same time!!!

Many Thanks!

Sorry - should of checked the forum first!!! - looks like my answer to Q1 is a NO, so I will have to leave it at the Minimal OSD setting, and put up with not have the volume displayed !! :-(

Any takers on my other 3 questions!!!

Many Thanks!!

Hi Matthew,

Answers (too a couple)

1. Not that I'm aware, its a choice of one or the other. Something I believe Philips should have corrected.

2. There is room behind the set when wall mounted to loop the cables round, I say loop because in my opinion the scarts face the wrong way!! But isn't a problem when the set is wall mounted at all.

3 & 4. hopefully someone else will be able to help you:eek:)

J

Welcome aboard the Philips LCD owners club Matt! Glad you like it. I can answer point 1) on your list - the answer is no! It is one of the few minor irritations of the 9986 - leave it on minimum, you'll soon get used to not seeing the volume level.
Regarding 3) on your list - not sure if this can be done with one cable - but there are several chunkier adapters out there - try someone like Lindy. As for 4) - this may not be available in the UK because it doesn't come with a moulded three-pin plug, but you could use an adaptor. Looking at the picture in the leaflet, I reckon you could do your own with some somple cable trunking from any DIY store!

Hi, Many thanks for the replies. Ill leave it on the minimum setting for the OSD! - As for the cabling idea, I like the DIY suggestion, Ill get some trunking from my local DIY store and make one up! - want to make sure the cables are well protected as they are going in the wall!!

Thanks!

Hi Matt,

Let me welcome you to Club 9986 too! This makes you a very good and wise person...

I haven't wall mounted mine so I can't help you there, and most of your other questions have been answered.....

The only comment I can make is that I discovered that the wee channel number actually does disappear! Eventually. Takes up to an hour, Very strange.

I also agree with Up The Spurs...the scarts do face the wrong direction.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. Enjoy...

Jimmy

I'm just about to put trunking up for my 9986. Be aware that there is not _that_ much room behind the set when it's on the bracket: my DVI-D cable would not fit, for example. I am going to run things so that the bottom of the trunking is around 35mm higher than the bottom of the screen which looks like it will give me enough space to play around with positioning.

And yes, the connectors are round the wrong way to make this an easy job!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom