1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32pf9986:-goodbye £1900

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Hunterm8, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much time thinking i have finally decided to get yee ol plastic out...
    get on Friday from http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/product.php?xProd=945&xSec=30. I used these after sending out some tester e-mails got a replay within an hour the rest of the places still havent answered.
    i am going to use my barclaycard to get an extra years warranty before they stop doing it at end of the month. Anyway give you my thoughts soon :clap:

2. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't think you'll have joy with Barclaycard. I'm almost sure their small print excludes LCD and Plasma TVs. But if I'm wrong let me know asap as I bought a Philips on Friday with Barclaycard.

3. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. kevin19470

kevin19470
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Why not ask JL to do a price match. You will also get a FREE 5year warranty and delivery.

Good luck.

5. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bugger oh well, look loads into tv and forgot to look into barclaycard still ive still got price promise if i see it cheaper within 60 days with is highly likely. Though im sure someone will tell me otherwise :)

6. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know alot of people do this. But to be honest there isnt one near me and i cant be bothered with the hassle.

7. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it worth getting an extended warranty.I can get 3 years for about £190! are they worth the paper they are written on (if like a car then not). Is anyone else paying for warranty or risking it?

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    To be honest they are a bit of a ripoff because you're still covered by your legal statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act should anything fail within a reasonable period of time. They only make things a bit simpler, ie, if your TV breaks down after 2 years and you have an extended warranty, you should be able to get a repair and/or replacement fairly easily. However, without the warranty you would probably have to go through the small claims court if the manufacturer didn't play ball, although in this instance you do have the law on your side.

9. vRSNutter

vRSNutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Robert Whyte's are offering a free 5 year warranty on this set,here

10. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    So many 9986 threads but i'll ask this quick question on this one (apologies).

Those that have this set...do any of you have freeview?

If so, what's the piccy like in general? I have freeview but can only get 50-60% signal strength and am worried that viewing on a largeer screen (on my 29" CRT some of the channels look a bit ropey) the problessm wiil be all to visable...

I may move in several months (and if so I'd hope the reception will be better (and a better ariel too) so it's not the end of the world if it's not the gretest at the mo.

Price seems to be creeping down a touch of late though..... :)

PS, I know I should know this having had this tv in mind for god knows how long but, does it have any PIP/PAP features?

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not an expert on Freeview, but can help you with the PIP.

It has PIP with a number of features.

Dual screen. Two pictures as once. LHS volume through main speakers, other one through headphones.

PIP. Small, variable size picture on top of main picture. This can be moved around.

PIP3. 75% screen on LHS with 3 separate other pictures down RHS. These can show any of the other inputs available. The TV has two terrestrial tuners by the way.

PIP6. This is rediculous really.Main central picture plus 6 other inputs. Lets see...Sky on the main picture (Ext 1)....DVD Recorder on picture 1 (Ext 2)...VHS on pic 2 (Ext 3)...DVD player on pic 4 (DVI/Component)...PS2 on pic 5 (RCA side)...One of the two terrestrials on pic 6. Really could have used a seventh extra screen for the other terrestrial.....

Hope this helps.

Jimmy.

PS. the 9986 is pretty good at extracating good pictures from crummy signals...

12. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Thanks mate.

To summarise then ;)

1, Two terrestrial tuners means that I could watch Beeb 1 and 2 at the same time (obviously 1 with volume, the other mute (unless wearing headphones)

2, I could also watch say a DVD (say DVI) on the left hand side of the screen (with sound) and say watch Freeview on the right (say with RGB Scart) with no sound if there was some footy on the tv that I wanted to keep an eye on :)

That sound about right.

Cheers

PS, with option 2 could you instanty flick them round and have Freeview on the left (with sound) and put the DVD on the right (without sound)????

Sorry to be so picky but I didn't realise that it had so many PIP options :)

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You got it dom!

With the dual screen, you just keep punching the OK button ond they swap around! Even better, and this is awesome, the picture quality on the dual screen setting is utterly fantastic. It reduces each of the two inputs to the screens natural resolution and gives you an insight into what HiDef will look like, Stunning.

Jimmy

14. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Sounds great, thanks for the info. Just got to find time to pop down to John Lewis to have a decent viewing!

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Take a couple of DVD's with you and insist that you see them. Play with it for ages! Try different settings and generally make a pest of yourself...

Have fun,

Jimmy

16. paul812uk

paul812uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Domtheone,

I use freeview with my 9986 and the picture is excellent with most channels. Some channels (not the main ones) can sometimes look poor close up because of poor bitrates but even then from approx 2m away I'm happy.

I have to say that watching films over freeview with this TV with the sound going direct into my AV reciever and converted to ProLogic II has been a real joy.

17. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    I brought a plasma of JL,after 14 months i wasn't 100% happy with it.There customer service was excellent,ended up getting a full refund.If possible i will now always use JL. :thumbsup: