1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PF9986 firmware upgarde 1.3 to 2.1 - worth it or not?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by chunkymunky, Jan 20, 2005.

1. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a 32PF9986 since last April, replaced by Philips in September due to the ambilight fire risk and the non-functioning remote control issues. Alas firmware version 1.3. I've a few posts on here already concerning the issue with Philips over this (they initially denied all knowledge that v2.1 existed although they did send me a VGA - component adaptor which of course didn't work). I was supposed to have my set collected and the firmware upgraded by Philips Flat Panel Service (Anovo or something) but having read some of the posts concerning this issue I cancelled the collection.

I do intend to buy a Samsung HD745 in the near future and so will have the option of a direct DV-I to DV-I connection. In that case is it worth pursuing the firmware upgrade or will v1.3 be sufficient for my needs? What exactly will I gain with the DVI connection - does it carry sound and hwo much better will the picture be when upscaled over the standard RGB scart which is already pretty good!

Has anybody who has had their set collected for this upgrade had it returned to them yet? I have no replacement TV that I could use as my set is wall mounted above the fireplace and the space occupied by my old CRT is now well and truly occupied.

All thoughts appreciated! :lease:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chunky,

I would say, don't send your TV away for the upgrade. They'll take months to do it and for you I suspect it'll not be worth it. I would say, that you should try your supplier for a new replacement. Be fair, then hard. The TV is meant to carry Component input and it doesn't. If your supplier doesn't play ball after much hassleing then I would just leave it and go the DVi to DVI route.

This doesn't carry audio, but that isn't a problem as you can just route the audio directly to the TV's Audio in or Optically through a Cinema Reciever.

PQ is improved over the Scart with the DVI Component and further improved with the DVi - DVI.

Jimmy

3. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimsan. At time of purchase Philips were not claiming that this TV could carry component video only DVI + the usual scart s/video configurations so I can't really go down that route. Is that definite DVI-I doesn't carry sound? I had assumed that DVI-D didn't but was hoping to avoid having to route yet another cable to the TV! I do have a home cinema system but to be honest don't always use it (kids are light sleepers), suppose I could keep the volume low.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    DVI in all its formats doesn't carry sound. Sorry.

Jimmy

5. simonn5

simonn5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Jimmy says DVi to DVi does give the best picture. I tried component to DVi with progressive scan and it gave a grainy picture compared to Dvi to DVi although that may have something to do with the cheap and nasty component to VGA adapter supplied by Philips

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Simonn5,

Either you have a very critical eye or something is amiss with your component input. To my eye the component picture is fantastic. Smooth and clean - completely free of any graininess - and that is using the nasty Philips bodge up adapter...

The 720p progressive picture is only marginally better with slightly tighter, less processed, detail and better controlled blacks.

I would check out your component picture again. Is it better than the scart fed picture?

Jimmy

7. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    Jimsan,
    What dvi lead are you using to connect your DVD to the 9986. I have just orderd the TV, and am now looking to replace my aeging pioneer dv646a dvd player...

any help on setup or other tips greatly appreciated.

regards,

andy c!

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Andy C!,

Welcome to Club 9986!

I have borrowed a Denon 1910 from a friend and it is connected with a left over DVI-DVI cable I had when I got my new Computer Monitor. (2 DVI cables in the box!)

Works a treat. My usual player is a Denon DHT500 Cinema Receiver. Picture quality between the two is nearly identical.....see above.

I borrowed it for this very purpose, comparison, and I'm not too bothered that I have to give it back....sometime.....in the next...month or two....or three....

Jimmy

9. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the route I took. Was always going to be getting a DVI or HDMI equipped player, and didn't have a player with progressive component out anyway. As far as I can see, if you're not going to be using component, then the 2.1 firmware doesn't seem to offer a lot. Although, someone on the thread from before xmas reported the green on the ambilight was stronger. Apart from that, I'm not sure!

Just got my HDMI equipped player this weekend.... and I'm in love with the TV all over again :D

10. A-quarius

A-quarius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to All,
    I'm a new owner of 42PF9986! Unfortunately I have a problem with connecting my denon 2910 to LCD through the HDMI-DVI connection (HDMI cable with HDMI-DVI-D converter). The picture is unstable, is switching on and off all the time in all possible settings. At the same time SCART is working very well (obviously with lower quality). Is it a problem with firmware of my TV? Do anybody have any suggestion what I should do in this matter? Please help!!! :rolleyes:
    Bartek

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    What resolution are you running the 2910 at? One of the problems with DVI is that it it was a PC interface, so connecting video equipment may be problematical. However, I do not think this is the case with the 9986 as other people have done OK with it, but some glitches may still be present.

Have you tried the setup with a non copy protected disc - LOTR would do. If it works fine, then the problem is with HDCP. Try changing the order that you power things on - make sure the display is on before you physically power up the 2910. HDCP performs some handshaking during power up and if this has not been successful, then HDCP will prevent a picture from showing.

-Ian

12. simonn5

simonn5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May have something to do with the fact that I am using a very high quality Wireworld DVi cable whereas my component cable is a 30 quid cheapie. I haven't tried a Scart connection from the 3910.

To my eyes there is definitely a difference in favour of DVi over component especially on dark textured backgrounds - the DVi connection extracts a lot more information than component and edges are far more defined - if you freeze the picture it is even more noticeable

13. A-quarius

A-quarius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    Thanks for your reply. I'll follow your advices.
    By the way... I've just called to Philips' technician and asked about possible problems. I received information that dvd’s HDMI port can give some disturbances while working together with 9986's DVI-I port. This is something new for me. I was sure that both connections are basically the same (video). What do you think about that?
    Anyway I'll try also to connect my TV with denon's DVI port.
    Bartek

14. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sounds like he's waffling...

Can you check your DVD players output with another display?

Jimmy

15. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HDMI is backwards compatible with the DVI-Video subset. But that is about where the simalarity ends. The data formats available under HDMI make it very much a more complex beast. You may be sending it something that the Philips has not implemented or is not even part of the DVI spec.

I run a Meridian HDMI equipped DVD player into a Loewe DVI equipped display and had similar problems initially. Thankfully, due to collaberation between Meridian and Loewe, I was able to get to the bottom of the problem within a day or so but it was a very tense period - it was user error as I has not powered things up in the correct order and my test disc (LOTR) was not CP so was misleading me.

If my initial advice does not work, try the DVI approach. You may however find settings for the HDMI/DVI protocol in the 2910 so allow it to run with not so much of a rich data set. This may also sort out your problems if the Philips was struggling to understand what it was being sent. The main suspect would be to ensure that an 8 bit RGB data format rather than component is selected - DVI is 8 bit RGB only but your DVD player may be trying to send 10 bit component.

-Ian

16. A-quarius

A-quarius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think that firmware upgrade to 2.1 is also able to help or not?

17. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would try and sort out the basics first, then if still no joy, investigate the upgrade. If the upgrade was available without delay at minimal cost it would be a different answer. Only Philips are likely to know the differences between versions and whether any of these improve tte stability of the DVI port. Of course if a fellow 2910 user is not having issues with the display, then maybe they can share settings and software versions. But even this may not be enough - I have heard of two identical pieces of kit where one works with DVI and the other doesn't.

-Ian

18. paul812uk

paul812uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't help you with your problem but I have a 32PF9986 v1.3 and a Denon 2910 connected DVI to DVI with no problems.