1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PF9986 - Component to VGA/DVI adaptor

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by chunkymunky, Oct 6, 2004.

1. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody please help me! Own a Philips 32PF9986 and am trying to connect my DVP630 Philips DVD player via a component to VGA cable that I purchased from Best Stuff (through the supplied VGA to DVI) adaptor. No matter how hard I try I cannot get a picture.

I've read a previous post somehwere stating that this was a valid connection and would enable the use of the progressive scan facility. Anybody any ideas or have I just wasted £50 on a useless set of cables.

2. Mozartkugel

Mozartkugel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chunkymunky,

I have tried twice to get a reliable answer from the philips customer service. The first time they have told me that the DVI-I port doesn't understand YUV signals and DVI-I also doesn't support HDCP. The second time they appologized for the wrong information and they have told me that the 32PF9986 supports HDCP.
    Do Philips guys know what they are assembling?

:suicide:

3. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips customer service have to be the world's worst! Do you own a 32 or 37PF9986? If so did yours come with a component to DVI-I or VGA cable or just the plastic adaptor (for connecting your PC).

Somebody on this forum suggested that all new models are supplied with a cable. Can anybody confirm this and describe exactly what it is (connections and length)?

Philips customer service ordered one of these for me on 01/09/04 but it still hasn't arrived depsite numerous infuriating phone calls. To be honest, I don't think they have a clue what they're doing and I just want confirmation that aforesaid cable does actually exist!

4. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my 32PF9986 a couple of weeks ago - also without a component adaptor which was mentioned in a magazine article to be included in the upgraded televisions. I emailed Philips a week ago - have had an acknowledgement that the query has been passed to the relevant department but with no response yet. I was also a bit concerned that because the component adaptor was missing that my television may not have been upgraded.

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The pre-recall versions could not accept component. Post recall, the firmware was updated to allow component input via the DVI connector and the said cable included. I do not believe that component input is available on pre recall versions of this set even with the adaptor cable. I would guess that component input, firmware and cable was added purely due to market demand and the poor publicity that the set was getting sans component.

6. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lo and behold the cable arrived this morning. Proceeded to connect my DVD player via this connection but alas stil no picture. My set must definitely be one of the latest versions as it was only exchanged by Comet (on the instructions of Philips) 10 days ago. The new set is definitely an improvement over the old - the remote control works perfectly anf the ambilight now has a much broader spectrum of colour (the yellows and greens being far better than previous).

The cable is still VGA to component (female sockets) so you will need a standard component cable and the original VGA to DVI adaptor. If you haven't got one then get hold of Philips or buy one from Ebay for about £1.50.

I wonder now if it is a fault with my DVD player (the only other thing is a possible colour coding issue with the component inputs. Those on my DVD player are red, green and blue but on the cable they are red, white and yellow. Anybody know why this is and how they should be connected).

7. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Component support on the DVI input is only supported from sw version 2.0 onwards which is in the post-recall models. You can quickly see the sw version by keypressing 1_2_3_6_5_4. Older models can be upgraded.

8. Toine

Toine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like you know more.
    How can i get the screen updated?

9. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a very handy tip
    My SW version is TX21EU-1.3 06921
    I assume that means version 1.3
    Considering I had to wait 3 and a half months for my 32PF9986 I am somewhat annoyed that it has not been fully updated. I queried the upgrade and lack of component adaptor nearly 2 weeks ago and am still awaiting a response. I shall be chasing them now with this new information......

10. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked the software version on my replacement (supposedly upgraded) set and I have the same version as Howbury and cannot get component to work via DVI. If LiquidB is correct then why on earth have Philips replaced our sets with outdated kit? They really haven't a clue.

Will be chasing them up again today to find out how to get this software upgrade and will post results as soon as I have them.

11. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got off the phone from Philips. Not surprisingly my case has been referred to the technical department and Philips are claiming that there are no known software compatability issues with dvi and componment connections. Seems like we know otherwise. I await a phone call from Philips Technical Support with bated breath.

12. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another phone call from Philips, this time from the technical supervisor who tells me that there is no verison 2.0 of the software for this model and in fact there are no software upgrades whatsoever. LiquidB, can you let us know where you got your information on this.
    He is looking into the issue and will contact me soon with his findings! Obviously I'll post the information as soon as I have it.

13. cookycop

cookycop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recieved my 32PF9986 yesterday and the software version comes up as 1.3 like Howbury. No VGA to component cable (just the adapter) either. I will contact Philips and add some more noise. Disappointing when spending over 2 grand.
    However picture looks excellent (some sky channels are grainy) fed by an S-Video to Scart cable from my Sony AV amp. All video inputs to this are via S-Video (either direct from dvd and vcr or a Scart to S-Video cable from sky box). Still playing at the moment until I get the wall prepared to hang it up on the bracket. I will have to decide soon what connection to finally use as I will be hiding the cabling behind the plasterboard!
    I would like to connect my DVD via Component (no RGB scart connection on this unit), clearly this is a no go at the moment.

14. RogerJ

RogerJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy the 32PF9986 but...
    I have read that the 32PF9986 does accept the following formats by DVI: 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1152i. But isn't progressive scan output from a DVD-player either 625p (PAL) or 525p (NTSC) :confused:

Regards,
    Roger

15. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'll try to answer a few questions on here about the 32PF9986.

DVI CABLE: Firstly f you didn't get a component-VGA cable, you should have. I called Philips about this and they sent me a letter apoligising for the missing cable and once I opened the package, they had sent me a VGA to three 3RCA. Contacted them again and pointed this out, apologised again and said the cable is on it's way. So get on the phone or e-mail them!!

CONNECTION: Secondly, on some recorders etc, RGB and component are mutually exclusive, consult your manuals to check if your component ports are RGB compatible. Those who do not have these compatible ports get the cable from Philips and make sure your DVD players are set to output component only and not RGB. Then press progressive on your remotes or set it to output progressive.

Also on your TV you have to make sure, under the install-source menu, that you specify the input for the TV ports correctly, if there is a 'NONE' then your TV will obviously not accept signals through those ports.

Hope this helps. Just in case you're all wondering, I haven't got the DVI port working on mine as I haven't got the Philips cable yet, but will do so next week and let you all know if it works ok. Sorry if the above is obvious but just thought I'd make it clear.

Regards,
    S

16. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eyeball, I got the same cable as you with a hand-written note from head office in Guildford (from somebody called Emilie). Looks like the VGA - RCA cable is all Philips are supplying and a very cheap and nasty affair at that. I waited 7 weeks for this cable and during this time had my replacement set delivered pretty much out of the blue.

Has anybody got one of these TVs with a pukka DVI or VGA to component cable in the box. I bought a decent cable from Best Stuff.co.uk but this doesn't work either.

Keep us all informed Eyeball if you have any luck but until then we soldier on with RGB scart (which even using that connection gives a simply stunning picture - especially on the Shrek movies which almost look 3D).

At least I'm dealing directly with the technical departament now and they are trying to replicate my set-up. Have told them about the software upgrade which they are still denying knowledge of so I shall post whatever solution they come up with. They do after all advertise that it has component connectivity and so are obliged to provide a set that does what they say it should.

17. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chunkmunky.....I also got that cable from Emilie. Seems like we'll need to get a normal component to component cable to hook that RCA-DVI cable up. This sucks, we need a cable for another cable...it simply is ridiculous.

Anyways, I'll basically see if I can get mine working with the nasty cable before going out to spend some money on a decent one.

Cheers,
    S

18. markfitz

markfitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    I have the same setup with a RDXS32 & a 32PF9986. I don't want to risk buying a useless Comonent VGA cable, so couldn't I use a Component to SCART and get prog scan that way?

Sorry if this is a silly question!

19. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Component over SCART is non standard and as such, very uncommon. The Philips only has component via the DVI-I connector.

-Ian

20. pmjoyce

pmjoyce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will this carry a progressive scan signal?

21. markfitz

markfitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But How do we know that component is accepted by the DVI? It seems from this forum that the DVI wont accept it!
    Or would there be some sort of converter unit to change it over to SCART RGB System?

22. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart doesn't carry a prog scan signal so component to VGA is the only way to go. Still awaiting confirmation from anybody that this actually works though!!!

23. markfitz

markfitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all very stange. Surely Philips should have an answer. There are obviously alot of people who want to do this.

Can that software be upgraded at home on the LCD?

I asked the guys about the Comonent cable here in Ireland and I couldn't get it into there head that it could be done!

He kep saying that DVI is digital and VGA is analouge and that they dont work together!!

24. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone here has experienced a cracking sound on your Philips TV.
    Just recently noticed that it makes a loudish cracking sound, the volume then cuts out and then starts to increase slowly to it's original level.
    It's happened a few times. At first I thought it may have been the transmission froma particular channel but then it did it last night while watching a DVD.

I have contacted Philips and will see what they say.

Cheers,
    S

25. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

Don't buy it.....contact Philips and tell them yours was missing from the box, they will send you one, but this is likely to take a few weeks...as with everything re: Philips.

Cheers,
    S

26. alasdair

alasdair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Called Philips about the VGA-component adaptor they sent to me (as it was not included with the replacement panel they delivered) and asked if they had sent the wrong cable as all i was getting was a blue screen.
    After a while they came back to me saying it was the correct cable and should be connected as possible (this is from memory) white cable was hue, red to Pr, and yellow to Pb(?)

Am sure this was one of the set ups i tried before calling philips and it did not work, as a result i have not tried again as its a major hassle unplugging everything and when it doesn't work.......!!!!

Was hoping to use this with my modded xbox and hi-def pack; also tried it with my cheapy compacks prog.scan dvdplayer without any success.

Am still not convinced Philips have sent out(or manufactured ?)the correct cables - either that or they don't know about the V2 firmware noted above.....

27. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Roger,

Yes you are right that PAL and NTSC are 625 and 525 lines respectively, but not all these lines are actually shown on the TV screen. On analogue terrestrial the teletext information is transmitted in these non-displayed lines. DVDs only encode the actual image lines, which is 576 and 480 for PAL and NTSC.

Cheers, James

28. RogerJ

RogerJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, James.

Well I have ordered the 32pf9986. I will receive it in about 10 days. Can't wait! :)

Roger

29. markfitz

markfitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made Up a Component to VGA cable (bring on scraphead challenge!) but still no picture. Though this could be due to my bodging.

Has anyone made any further advance?

30. Yotak

Yotak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's some more of the same...

When my 32PF9986 arrived the component=>VGA adapter was missing. After several calls to Philips customer care the finally sent a 'replacement' adapter. As previous writers reported this looked like a composite (Red, White, Yellow) to VGA cable.

I tried a number of permutations to match my Denon DVD-2900 component output to no avail (blue screen).

Called Philips again today and learned that: White RCA => Luminance, Yellow RCA => Pb, Red RCA => Pr.

I have yet to confirm this setup but have a feeling it will also yield a blue screen.

I checked the version of the TV (123654) and it is 1.3. Any more news of the 2.0 revision?

Anyone out there that has succeeded in getting component to DVI to actually work yet?

Of course, I still have picture through SCART but would like to see what the component hook-up looks like...