1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32pf9986 arrived today !!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by lee_d_m, Feb 8, 2005.

1. lee_d_m

lee_d_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi,

My shiny new 32pf9986 arrived this morning at 8am :D , and I had to go to work :mad:

Can't wait till this evening to put it all together.

Quick piece of advice if I may, I also have a Denon DHT500 on order, and so will need to connect Sky+, and Ps2 through the Denon, will I be needing any extra cables apart from the ones that come with the Tv/Denon.

Thanks to all those that helped me in my quest for a new TV.

Lee

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You'll need 1 optical. (PS2 to Denon)
    1 Component. (Denon to TV)
    1 Scart. (Denon to TV)
    2 Phonos (TV to Denon and Sky+ to Denon)

Get this stuff at www.tvcables.co.uk Good value, good quality! (Scart £5.99 and Component £8.99)

Jimmy

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't have a Philips but from what I've read about them on here, try connecting like this......

Denon to TV via Component to the DVI input. Apparently there is a Component to DVI converter that comes with the TV. This will enable the Prog Scan.

Sky+ to Denon via Scart for video.
    Sky+ to Denon via Digital Optical for audio.
    If this works, you will get 5.1 surround through the speakers and the Denon will convert to Component and send through the components you have already connected for the DVD player and also meaning the Denon will do the Audio and Video switching at the touch of one button. If it doesn't work, then connect the Scart for the video directly to the Philips leaving the digital audio connection in the Denon.

PS2. The video connection that comes with the PS2 is composite so you can again try plugging it in the back of the Denon for video and let it send it through the Component cable if it does it. If not, connect it to directly to the TV again. You could get an RGB Scart connection for the PS2 for a better picture and connect it to the TV again.
    For the audio, the PS2 has a Digital Optical output, but since the Sky+ box is already using the Optical in, you might be able to get a Optical to Coaxial converter and use this connection if, and only if, the Optical connection and the Coaxial connection are on different inputs. ie, Optical on Input 1 and Coaxial on Input 2.

Might be a little more information than you need and a little overkill but it's the way I'd try it ! :)

Richie.

4. AllyJo

AllyJo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Phillips LCD 32" and the denon 550SD, the DVD has component out but the TV as we know only has DVI-D in, as far as I was aware there is no way to connect these 2 inputs together?

The adapter is a VGA to DVI adapter by the way.

Please let me know if there is a way of connecting it id be very interested.

5. lee_d_m

lee_d_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks Guys,

I think I understand, will give it a go tonight,

Allyjo, I was under the impression that you should have a DVI-VGA adapter and a VGA to component cable, that is what it looks like on the philips website, I'll let you know what I have recevied once I unpack it. In the meantime, take a look here, scroll down to accessories.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=I3C0WZKYQ1HAPJ0RMRCSHP3HKFSESI5P

Thanks

Lee

6. AllyJo

AllyJo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah Lee I just figured it out myself ! no substitute for a brain lol :D Enjoy the TV m8 btw it is rather good :thumbsup:

further to my new thread im now wondering if its better to get a proper DVI-D out DVD like the 1910 or use the comp adapter option on my current Denon 550SD dvd player.

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    WHOA THERE!!!!

The DVI socket on the 9986 is DVI-I. It CAN handle component inputs and you can easily connect your 550 directly to it via a component lead!

Where have you guys been? There's masses of information about this on this forum. The only fly in the ointment might be if your 9986 is a v1.3. It cannot handle this connection.

Jimmy

8. AllyJo

AllyJo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah jim dont LOL i have spent the last week getting my head round it LOL

I thought it was DVI-D btw not I as the 1910 is used quite oftern with it.
    my firmware is 2.0 btw
    If its DVI-I i take it its a simple lead to connect HDMI to this socket then for SKy HD??

9. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, either get a DVI-D to HDMI cable or DVI-D to DVI-D with a DVI-HDMI adapter.