1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32pf9976 !!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Norvegia, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just ordered the 30PF9975 model a few days ago (not arrived yet) but the shop I bought it from has now this new (¿?) model for only 100 euros more. It also has Pixel Plus and Digital Natural Motion, but, this time, the panel is true 16:9, has a native resolution of 1366x768 and is 32". The contrast ratio is 800:1 and has DVI-i input. Everything seems better, but my biggest fear would be the picture quality, although I guess it can't be worse than the 30PF9975.

[​IMG]

So, should I consider getting this intead of 30PF9975?

Hope you can help.

2. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please, I need some advice. Has anyone heard of this set yet? I can't find any information about it even at Philips websites (some websites refer to it as plasma ...).

The main question would be (as the specifications are better than the 30PF9975 ones): do you think the picture quality will be worse than in the 9975??

Really hope anyone can help on this, because I'm on time to take the 30PF9975 back and get this one.

Best regards.

3. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello

This is a derivative version of the 32PF9986, but some less featuring. The picture quality will be a lot better than the 30PF9975.

4. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info LiquidB. But, will the picture still be "a lot better" than the 30PF9975 if its Pixel Plus remains first version and lacks Progressive Scan (I've just find out)??

5. jonf

jonf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nor', have a look at the specs on the philipps web site for the 9986. Should help you out. Also search on this forum for '9986' - you'll find good advice - I did!

6. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the input jonf, but I'm not looking for the 9986 but 9976; the 9975 arrives tomorrow and I have 7 days to test it and send it back if I don't like what I get (or if I get to know that 9976 is "a lot better").

I'm sure that I will like the 9975, but I need to know for example, if 9976 has Progressive Scan, if it has component in and if it supports 1080i in any of its inputs, because all of the new features (32", true 16:9, 1366x768, contrast ratio of 800:1 and DVI-i), all of them are very welcomed.

Please, there is no one in here from inside or near Philips that could help me??

:lease:

7. Hopeful

Hopeful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one you are looking at sounds and looks just like the 9956 which is available in the UK i.e. 32 inch, 1366x768 etc plus first generation pixel plus and speakers at the bottom.

UK philips site has spec and can be compared to 9986 -
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer

Both have progressive scan but 9956 does not seem to support HD video formats - would still expect picture to be better than 9975 though

8. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Thanks Hopeful (I wish I had something more reliable; of course it's not your fault but Philips'). In any case, that's how I am right now; hopeful to see this sets specifications on any of the Philips websites (at Unbeatable's website, for example, they even refer to it as a plasma WVGA panel with a 852 x 480p resolution :thumbsdow).

Well, I won't ask again (because everything's been asked), but if any of you get to know in the following days (7 days left from now, wednesday 15th :suicide: ) something reliable about the things I've asked above (or even got access to a pdf file with the specs of the set), don't forget there is someone in here waiting to hearing from you.

Greets and thanks in advance.

9. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Finally, Philips has sent me a specification sheet of this set, so my questions are answered. I have to say that on the leaflet it states that its predecesor is the 9975.

The specs of the 32PF9976

Picture
    • Screen Size: 32” (81cm)
    • Visible Screen Size: 81cm
    • Aspect ratio :Widescreen
    • Display : LCD Active matrix TFT
    • Resolution : 1366 x 768p
    • Brightness : 450 cd/m2
    • Contrast Ratio : 800:1
    • Viewing Angles 170H/170V
    • Response time LCD <12ms
    • Anti Reflex Coated Screen
    • Pixel Plus
    • Movie Plus
    • Digital Natural Motion
    • Jagged Line Suppression
    • 3D Comb Filter for PAL
    • Digital Crystal Clear
    • Active Control + Light Sensor
    • Widescreen Plus

Connections
    • Side Connectors: S-Video Y/C in
    Video CVBS in (cinch)
    Audio L/R in (cinch)
    Headphones out (3,5mm jack)
    • EXT 1 : CVBS in/out, RGB, Audio L/R (scart)
    • EXT 2 : CVBS in/out,Y/C, RGB,Audio L/R
    (scart)
    • EXT 3 : CVBS in,Audio L/R (scart)
    • DVI-i (Digital Stream, RGB-HV, HDMI compatible)
    • Audio out L/R (cinch)
    • Centre Channel in (cinch) for connection to
    a Home Cinema system
    • Subwoofer out (cinch)

Yesterday I received the 9975 and after testing it on different situations, I've decided to send it back. The set performs, as stated everywhere, amazingly well on vivid pictures BUT I didn't expect the contrast to be that annoying; on dark scenes, blacks are conspicuous by their absence.

I guess I'll wait till blacks are blacks on LCDs (possible?) or, if it ain't happening, should I start looking for plasmas??

Greets.

10. Horrabin

Horrabin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any info on wheter the 9976 can accept component signals via the DVI (like the 9986 if I've understood it correctly) and if it can handle 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i?

11. adtadt

adtadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only agree, if you want a long read look at my post 'Why I "Gave Up" On Philips 32PF9986'. This also covers a major fault, almost a complete line of black pixels, but the poor contrast was enough of a reason to return. These new "best of" LCDs don't quite make it for me - be warned when viewing in typical showrooms - I'm back with my Philips CRT Pixel Plus 1..

12. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It seems the leaflet Philips sent me few days ago with the specs of this set was wrong, because I've received an email from them telling me the following:

"With regards to your query we can advise that the 32PF9976 does not have progressive scan."

In the other hand, and regarding HDTV signals, they've told me that "The 32PF9976 will display an HDTV image via the DVI input."

Hope this helps if anyone is interested in this TV.

Regards.