1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PF9976 driving me nuts with VGA

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Exirion, May 5, 2005.

1. Exirion

Exirion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've had this TV for 2 months now and I really like it. The quality is great :thumbsup:

However, for one reason it is driving me nuts. I have a media center PC connected to it. I use the VGA connection because with DVI I cannot get 720x576 at 50Hz (PAL). It all works, but there is a very odd problem.

The TV does not seem to keep sync with the VGA interface. For some reason it loses sync every once in a while: the screen turns blue for 1 or 2 seconds and then the PC picture is back again. After this happens, the picture is also not properly aligned anymore. Another weird thing: when I try to align the picture with the 'cursor keys' on the remote control, after pressing one button the picture jumps back into the proper alignment again.

This sync problem usually doesn't happen more than twice an hour, but sometimes it happens every 10 seconds or less :eek:

Using standard VGA resolutions like 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 doesn't help. Neither does it matter whether I connect the media center PC, my laptop or my desktop PC.

I hope somebody recognizes this very annoying problem. Any ideas to solve it? Again: DVI instead of VGA doesn't help. I'm starting to think about using my good old VGA->SCART cable again... Which I didn't expect when I bought an LCD TV with DVI and VGA :thumbsdow

Please help :)

2. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Exirion,

I have not had the problems you are experiencing but when connected to a laptop via VGA the desktop would always expand to the right of the visible area of the TV.

Anyhow, I recently built a HTPC with Media Centre and put in a Geforce FX5700 card with DVI. The picture works perfectly and I can even select 1280x720 in the default graphics options. You do get the small border around the screen but watching divx movies is a total joy.

What graphics adapter are you using?

Pete.

3. Exirion

Exirion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi zoidy,

I use an Asus Pundit-R barebone with onboard Radeon 9100 IGP. It all works, but 50Hz at PAL resolution doesn't work with DVI. VGA does work, but with VGA the normal text modes don't work. So there's always something that doesn't work :D

Anyway, I'm very happy with MCE running at 720x576/50Hz for perfect video playback of recorded shows. Now if I could get rid if this sync issue...... It's not my video interface because the laptop (855GM centrino VGA) has the same problem with the TV.

Maybe my TV is not OK? That's why I want to find out whether I'm the only person with this problem or not :)

4. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hiya,

These are the supported resolutions of the TV according to the Philips website:
    640 x 480 @ 60HZ,
    800 x 600 @ 60HZ,
    1024 x 768 @ 60HZ,
    1280 x 768 @ 60Hz

Have you tried 60Hz and 1280 x 768? I did have sync issues with several other resolutions.

Cheers,
    Pete.

5. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Have you the latest video drivers installed?

6. Exirion

Exirion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I know, and these modes have the same problems. Anyway, I wanna stick to 50Hz because 60Hz looks crappy for PAL video (25fps interlaced). So far 720x576@50Hz is not worse than other, officially supported, modes.