32pf9830 'good' frequency response

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Smith2004, Nov 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I have just read 'What Video's' review of the Philips 32pf9830 and was surprised to find that for a screen praised for its level of detail on show, its frequency response was rated as merely 'good'. As someone interested in the 37 inch version of this set I would be interested to know what owners of any 9830s (either 37 or 32) felt about the actual detail on display compared to other sets, say from Sony, JVC or Panasonic.

2. cosmicblue

cosmicblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    As someone who had a 32pf9830 for a week and has now sent it back I'd respectfully suggest that the magazine reviews of this Tv should have been printed on toilet tissue - at least they would have been useful.

I stood in the local Sony Centre today and marvelled at the 32" VSeries, a good image when standing 2 feet away (the Philips is marginal at 6 feet). I would have bought one except for the lack of a PC connection and the two feeble integral loudspeakers.

The Panny is well worth considering.

3. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope I don't misunderstand you, but the 37PF9830 or the 32PF9830 show absolutely no motionblur anymore. Picture has high contrast, rich colors and stunningly sharp picture at a distance of 2.5 meters. It is not recommended to sit in front of a 32" screen in less than 2 meters. That stands for any flat TV.
    No mentally sane person looks TV in a distance of 2 feet... :devil: (For SD signals anyway..)
    Sorry cosmic but your comment has to be taken with a big grain of salt. I'm also sorry that you were not that happy with your 9830 but that doesn't mean every 9830 is full of defects. In fact the minority are. Most are perfect, like mine for example... :D

4. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I agree - the 9830 produces a fantastic picture and handles fast motion very well.

5. Jaggers

Jaggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 32PF9830 for two days - haven't noticed any motion blur at all. I'm generally very impressed with the picture quality, and I've only really experimented with various Sky Digital channels so far. Some channels are better than others, but that I think is an issue with the source as opposed to the LCD. Ambilight is great. I'm looking forward to working out how to hook the laptop up and feed some HD content, DVDs etc. There's no way I'm sending mine back!

6. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Thanks for the replies.

I have a 30pf9975 which has the original pixel plus and in general have found its performance excellent. If the 37pf9830 is an improvement on it I'll be well pleased. I've looked at a number of the latest models from other firms in the shops recently and have found the Philips picture hard to beat. The 'What Video' review remarked that the pixel plus effect is off-putting for some, but I've never minded it at all, IMO it works wonders with the high bitrate Freeview channels and most DVDs. I do understand that it can be a shock for those who prefer a 'softer' filmic look, but then again it can always be switched off!