32PF9830 - Correct Settings

garry_williams@ said:
Hi guys,

I've had my 37PF9830 for about 6 weeks now and I'm loving it. I've only just started playing with the settings though so I'll try what has been suggested in this thread. I too have found the PP2 effect 'interesting' and I'm not surprised others have turned this off.

I wanted to ask if any of you have noticed different quality results when watching different DVDs? For example, some recent examples I've really a huge difference on are The Incredibles and Black Hawk Down (awesome picture quality) but We Were Soldiers and Predator are both really grainy and disappointing. Have tried enabling and disabling PP2 and although it has some effect I wouldn't say it makes the grainy pictures look any better (worse if anything). Any ideas?

We were soldiers and Predator are both fairly grainy film prints in the first place. Whatever TV you get, and however much you spend, you can't remove film grain. I used to feel the same - but you can't expect every DVD to be pristine quality. I guess looking forward, the stark difference between an average and an excellent film to DVD transfer will get even more distracting once we get into the high def DVD formats. Lets hope not!

Hi,
Does anyone know the code to access the service menu in the 37pf9830?

By the way i use the following settings (after a lot of changes...)
Contrast : 68
brightness : 58
color : 42
sharp : 2
DNR, ActControl and DynContrast all to medium. PP2 off when dvd is on...
I think it´s a very realistic picture and not to much bright and colored.

peebee01 said:
I've narrowed down the problem to the settings on the Decoder. If I set it to RGB output, no matter if I'm using SCART 1 or 2, the TV automatically sets itself to this "soft" preset as soon as I select the input source. If I set the decoder to composite the TV stays on the personal settings, like it does with component input, S-video, DVI or anything else.

Could somebody with an RGB input (sat receiver/dvd/or cable decoder) please check if they have the same problem with the 32PF9830?

Would like to understand if it is a specific problem for my tv or a software bug, before contacting Philips.

Thanks a lot!

You can fix this if you go into Menu>Setup>Source> EXT1, EXT2, etc etc set them all to other then if you leave your settings on personal it will always stay on personal.

Tks for all the information chambeaj... :thumbsup:

By the way, you don´t have to change the device. At the end of the code it will open the menu ;)

Tiarib said:
Hi,
Does anyone know the code to access the service menu in the 37pf9830?

By the way i use the following settings (after a lot of changes...)
Contrast : 68
brightness : 58
color : 42
sharp : 2
DNR, ActControl and DynContrast all to medium. PP2 off when dvd is on...
I think it´s a very realistic picture and not to much bright and colored.

Just tried that and the picture looks a lot better than what it was set up at though I am only sitting about 2 feet away because my room wont be arranged to how I want it untill next week :(.
Chambeaj I tried your settings picture seemed bit dark to how I would like it. I do like my colours to be really bright but I am aware in making the picture bright the picture will look even more grainy so think I will leave it as Tiarib suggested.

Had my 32PF9830 for only three days now...finding it hard to establish just what I like!!
Driving the family mad by playing with settings, depending on the source, it seems you need to make constant adjustments...or is it just me?

Have to say though three days in I love it to bits despite the frustration's.

Slightly dissapointed with SD quality but blown away by DVD and HD from my laptop

I put finding nemo on with component connection and could not believe how different the picture was to RGB. I think the tv said the film was 480i and I thought it was really good so really looking forward to the 360 now lol.
I read a review in the Home Cinema magazine and they gave the 36" excelltent on picture and the bottom one while black and contrast got good. They said it can give quality picture if you have the patience and the correct settings.

I have compared all the settings and come with with my personal best for use with DVB (freeview), PC and Consoles:

Contrast: 70
Brightness: 51
Colour: 48
Sharpness: 3
Tint: Normal
Digital Option: Standard
Dynamic contrast: Medium
DNR: Medium
Colour enhancement: Off
Picture format: Auto format (changes every time, personal taste)
Active control: Minimum

Hi Guy's I don't have this set yet but will be ordering it tomorrow. I think it looks stunning.

I noticed garry_williams@ mentioned his set had a water ripply effect. I have a Panasonic PT-AE700E projector and this had the same problem. I play DVDs through the HDMI lead and this effect was doing my head in. After going through the menus about a million times and trying all sorts off settings it turned out to be the 'Noise Reduction' that was causing it. Turned this off and all was OK.

Just thinking maybe it's a similar thing in your case?

I change the settings to how I want it but when I turn back to source 1 where my sky picture is from dvi or any other sources the settings seem to go back to how they were before :(.
Can anyone tell me how I can keep my settings when switching channels please?

Hi. When I use the posted setting from Chambeaj the picture with normal cable tv is splendid :thumbsup:

When I use my dvd player, samsung HD-850 with these settings connected with hdmi - dvi cable picture quality is very poor...dark and very soft. upscaling to 720 P or 1080I makes no different.

Picture quality with other player, samsung P245 hooked up thru RGB-Scart is much better, sharper and very colourful.

Playing with hdmi settings in player (RGB normal or expanded) didn't bring any enhancement.

Those settings posted for the service menu are the same for a 32/9830??

I ask this because my factory default settings are much higher then the ones posted here. For example: white point blue factory default 60 is 93 default in my service menu (perhaps due to firmware 1.7?)

My setup: Standard resolution DVB-S satellite receiver and a 125€ DVD player connected both via SCART / RGB.
Digital processing improves largely picture quality, provided sharpness control is kept at low levels.

The following settings work fine for me:

active control : maximum
pixel plus 2 HD : on
dynamic contrast : medium
DNR : medium
colour enhancement : on
sharpness level : 1
tint : normal
contrast : 95
brigthness : 67
colour : 56

Different settings might apply for HD content from a good source.

32PF8930 connected to high-quality video source
------------------------------------------------------
IF you have a good source (high quality DVD or HD content):

active control : minimum
pixel plus 2 HD : off (*)
--> digital motion compensation (cinema mode): on
dynamic contrast : minimum
DNR : minimum
sharpness level : 0
tint : normal
contrast : 85
brigthness : 48
colour : 49
(*) sometimes "pixel plus" processing creates ugly halo effects around moving objects.

If above settings do not work for you, try this one, being closer to the original factory settings:

active control : medium
pixel plus 2 HD : on
dynamic contrast : medium
DNR : medium
sharpness level : 1
tint : normal, warm or cool (whatever you prefer)
contrast : 85
brigthness : 48
colour : 49

greetings
M.W.

Has anyone got settings that look good on the xbox 360?

Getting the tv tomorrow & this will be my primary use:clap:

dfisher_uk said:
Has anyone got settings that look good on the xbox 360?

Getting the tv tomorrow & this will be my primary use:clap:

I use the multimedia setting with my 360...gives great result.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom