1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PF9830 - Correct Settings

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by danny968, Oct 29, 2005.

1. danny968

danny968
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right. Expecting my 9830 any day now (and cant wait!!) and would like to know what the correct settings would be to get the best out of this TV.

I've noticed over on the 9986 thread that there are a few posts with a breakdown of settings used to get the best picture quality etc.

Any chance any of you lucky guys that are already in posession of one can let us know what you believe offers optimum viewing?

Cheers

2. peebee01

peebee01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    danny,

I'm still struggling with the settings myself. This is what I'm using at the moment although that changes by the day, so I would also like to know others opinion.
    Contrast: 68 (This is probably a little high, but it seems contrast has a bigger effect on brightness than the brightness setting, in order to get the brightness up the contrast goes up as well.)
    Brightness: 67
    Color: 61
    Sharpness: 1
    Tint: Normal
    Digital Options: Movie Plus
    Dynamic contrast: minimum
    DNR: Minimum
    Colour Enhancement: On
    Hue: 0 (can't be changed?!?)
    Picture format: I like the superzoom setting for 4:3 material but feel it uses a combination of stretching and zooming of the image. Sometimes it feels a little unnatural.
    Active Control: Off (I believe this changes all the other settings on its own)

Enjoy your set when it comes in. I've got it one week now and enjoy it a lot.

Peebee

3. danny968

danny968
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I'll apply these when my TV turns up and see what results I get.

I've noticed that despite rave reviews from what hi-fi etc, etc it seems that some people are having teething problems with the 9830 - I'm presuming it is down to either incorrect set-up or a faulty machine - every 'official' comment on the 9830 (or the 9986 before it) states that the PQ is 'as good as it can currently get' for ANY LCD tv.

Any others out there with settings, hints, tips to maximise the 9830, please feel free to add comments.

Thanks

4. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Personally I've seen two of these now, one on SB, but not a great signal , and i wasn't impressed - there was a lot of digitisation, which could have been the PP2.
    2nd time I was more impressed watching gladiator from DVD in a different shop, but I still wasn't blown away by the picture
    I think expectations are high for this tv because its meant to be the best
    I also think until we get another Awards magazine out, the jurys still out on this from the "officials", I'll be interested in What Video and Widescreen Tv's awards this year , and the first magazine reviews for this model (I don't believe there has been one yet)

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Always set sharpness to 1. Never anything else.

PeeBee's settings sound pretty close. Perhaps contrast down to 60 ish.

Jimmy

6. danny968

danny968
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimmy

Would you say that settings for the 9830 are pretty much the same as for the 9986?

7. garry_williams@

garry_williams@
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've had my 37PF9830 for about 6 weeks now and I'm loving it. I've only just started playing with the settings though so I'll try what has been suggested in this thread. I too have found the PP2 effect 'interesting' and I'm not surprised others have turned this off.

I wanted to ask if any of you have noticed different quality results when watching different DVDs? For example, some recent examples I've really a huge difference on are The Incredibles and Black Hawk Down (awesome picture quality) but We Were Soldiers and Predator are both really grainy and disappointing. Have tried enabling and disabling PP2 and although it has some effect I wouldn't say it makes the grainy pictures look any better (worse if anything). Any ideas?

Secondly, I wanted to now if anyone else has noticed an effect whereby moving objects appear to have a 'water rippling' effect around them - it's subtle (my wife can't even see what I'm on about but it's clear as day to me) - but it's like the space before a moving object moves into it distorts ever so slightly before the object 'gets there' (sounds weird I know). I wonder if Philips' DNM is to blame - I'll test this some and report back if anyone's interested.

The last thing I wanted to run by other 9830 owners is that our set has turned itself off 3 times of its own accord and then back on again after about 5 seconds. Other than those 3 occasions we've had no worries. Anyone else had this? On all 3 occasions it's occurred 5 minutes after the cold start.

Cheers,
    Garry

8. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I might have done. I'm sure there have been a couple of occasions where I have seen a person moving in front of something highly detailed in the background and I have seem a rippling effect almost as if the set cant cope with the detail behind the front moving object. Very rare – I have only picked up on it twice and as it had gone I couldn’t really go back and re check.

When has this actually happened? Is it when you have been watching DVD’s? Has the TV actually gone off? I have had a weird occurrence occur when watching what I though was all R2 DVD’s in that the screen goes blank for a moment. I thought it was down to my DVD and the TV accepting prog scan only over the comp inputs. My DVD only does R1 prog scan and the TV has never blanked on R1. Then I watched ‘Be Cool’ last night R2 and nothing happened all the way through!!! I have emailed Phillips about this.

9. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The water rippling effect is also known as the halo effect. Its typical for Pixel Plus 2 and has been reduced to some degree with Pixel Plus 2 HD. But its still pretty obvious. Take the Movie Plus setting. It reduces this effect greatly. The halo effect mostly occurs with weaker signals, like analogue cable TV. Good DVDs or HD materials seldom show the halos.

10. cosmicblue

cosmicblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Garry - I have experienced the 'Grainy effect' too, you can supress it by switching from PP2HD to Movie Plus and, very importantly, reducing the Sharpness to 1 or even 0. Also try setting the the DNR and Dynamic Contrast to Minimum as well.

This set kind of overshoots the desire for solid blacks............

Finally I have found the re-productive picture quality (certainly of the 32") is brutallly unsympathetic to a poor quality signal - i.e. the BBC News bulletins are just plain gorgeous and then they switch to an outside broadcast unit, probably filming in poor lighting conditions and the image quality plummets. On my old (albeit, still very good Trinitron CRT) I would have hardly noticed - the 9830 shows every poor quality pixel of data without mercy.

11. mda96bjh

mda96bjh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    this set better than the Panny 52/500 series then??

12. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It better be, it costs 50% more...

13. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Had it a week and to be honest still struggling with the PQ settings. To be honest it is either brilliant or crap (there doesn't seem to be a middle ground) depending on what you're watching. I have not been impressed at all with the (Sky) footie / rugby. Can't seem to get a decent picture whatever I try, and cant get rid at all of the dreaded 'halo effect'. To be fair I did have this on my previous Philips CRT, but the 9830 just seems to magnify it several fold.

Normal TV is good, so is most of the Sky movie channels. Some movies using the movie plus or PP2 have been awesome (others have been rubbish)
    Xbox was appalling (hi-def 480p) had to take off all the digital stuff and just leave it on natural. DVD (Samsung HD745 via DVI) was excellent, although could only get 576 and 720p (no 1080i)

What I don't like at all is that you have to go into the full menu to tweek the settings and to change picture modes. This is a pain when you just want to change between say stuff which you want PP2HD, and stuff you dont. I have a Sharp GA4 in another room and that has an 'AV Mode' button on the remote which lets you change between preset and preferred settings on the fly.

Also, in the Picture menu, the 'Digital Options' menu just says PP2 and not PP2HD. Is this right, or have I been 'ripped off'

My overall assumption is that given a good source with the right settings, the 9830 can be stunning. However with the opposite, it highlights (almost too well) everything that is bad. I think it is almost a bit too clever for its own good with poor sources. I think I'm perhaps my used to my Sharp being consistantly good with everything (and having a much better menu system)

Any advice on how I can get a good picture for sport would be most appreciated.

Thanks, jonandjen :confused:

14. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Jonandjen - hope you manage to get it better

This TV is getting really mixed reviews isn't it? :confused:

15. cosmicblue

cosmicblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I suspect that this TV is actually pushing the limits of the available signal quality, it is clearly orientated towards the reproduction of a true high definition picture via DVi/HDMI - without any compromises for 'real world' usage.

The PQ can be, and often is, absolutely stunning - a less than perfect broadcast (i.e. something filmed by a mobile TV crew in low light conditions) looks absolutely sh*t as though the set tries to compensate for the poor quality material on the automatic assumption that the incoming signal quality is cr*p.

Personally speaking I reckon all the TV manufacturers will hit this problem as their image quality reaches the same standards of the 9830.

16. peebee01

peebee01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a digital cable receiver to get a better signal and more channel than with the analogue signal I was using. I connected the decoder to SCART1. However, now when I switch to that input the picture settings defaults to one of the horrible preset settings (I think it's called "warm").

I don't have that problem with the other inputs I'm using like SCART 2 or the component input, there the tv stays on my personal settings I listed above. I've set the picture settings already a couple of times to "personal" but as soon as I switch to any of the other inputs and back again, I'm in this preset.

This evening, I'll try to see what happens if I use SCART 3 (but that doesn't except RGB) but does somebody know how to avoid this switching of picture settings on my 32PF9830?

0peebee0

17. FoooManChu

FoooManChu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Make that 4!

Set up my new 32pf9830 last night. This morning it powered down just as has been mentioned. I emailed Philips this morning to see what they have to say about it. All in all was impressed with quality of DVD play back (just over cheap scarts - can't wait for my component lead and fully wired scarts to arrive!). I agree with what has been said though, the set can be a bit brutal with sub standard sources. But everything else, even unpacking the beast just screams quality.

Thanks for the settings though guys. I'm new to AVForums and this is my first post and you've helped me get up and running with the new philips. Just hope they sort the power problems out...

18. nodrog

nodrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody. I'm waiting for delivery of a 32 PF 9830 and have found all your comments very interesting and informative and would like to thank you all for that. I would also add my request to Willo3000 to post the response he gets from Phillips.
    As we have 4 instances of a power/down power/up on just this thread I guess Phillips must have logged maybe hundreds of similar cases considering the size of their European market.
    Can we assume this is due to a hardware problem ? If it was software related would it not apply to all sets? but I'm not an expert in these matters.

19. mkoehler

mkoehler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to notice, that most 9830 TVs do not suffer from this problem. Mine for ones works flawlessly. It does'nt transmit obscure sounds, powers down et cetera. The settings are constant and don't change. Picture quality is a matter of signal strength and quality. The stronger the signal strength and the higher the bitrate of the signal the better is the picture quality of the set (a lot of "the" in this sentence... :rolleyes: ).
    Sets affected by the power down symptom seem to have a hardware related problem.

20. FoooManChu

FoooManChu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just said the problem had been commonly reported on web forums. Will definitely post up any reply.

It didn't happen at all the first night. Only when switching it on the following morning.

I have to say for those still looking it hasn't put me off the set though. The picture quality was excellent on DVD and strong sat signals. What surprised me most though was the quality and depth of sound through the NXT speakers. I just can't wait to try out a true HD source through it now...

21. garry_williams@

garry_williams@
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Sorry for the late reply been away for a week. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied to my questions regarding the reset and PQ issues - very useful indeed. I'm relieved in a way that it's not just me that has experienced the reset problem - my 9830 is a replacement for a Toshiba 46WM48B rear pro that broke after 6 weeks after it failed to recover from a similar reset problem so I was more than a little worried this time around! Obviously a software fix would be great but the fact that it occurs (for me anyway) 4-5 mins after initial power on makes me suspect it might be a physical problem.

On the PQ side of things I think the response are bang on - the 9830 is over-compensating with the poor sources (or what it considers to be poor) and PP2/MoviePlus just seem to amplify the problem. I did buy the set with HD in mind and I think that until Sky HD / BluRay etc come of age we won't see this beauty come into its own.

I'll be monitoring for the first Philips firmware release!

Cheers,
    Garry

22. peebee01

peebee01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've narrowed down the problem to the settings on the Decoder. If I set it to RGB output, no matter if I'm using SCART 1 or 2, the TV automatically sets itself to this "soft" preset as soon as I select the input source. If I set the decoder to composite the TV stays on the personal settings, like it does with component input, S-video, DVI or anything else.

Could somebody with an RGB input (sat receiver/dvd/or cable decoder) please check if they have the same problem with the 32PF9830?

Would like to understand if it is a specific problem for my tv or a software bug, before contacting Philips.

Thanks a lot!

23. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi... I have another philips model (plasma) and it does have a shortcut for that one. Try the trick on your remote to see if it also works: if the upper right key you got a PP2 on/off demo, but if you keep the finger on that key a little longer, it presents a short menu where you can choose directly progressive scan/movie plus/pp2.

regards, Carlos

24. FoooManChu

FoooManChu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PeeBee01: I set my sat receiver and DVD to RGB and haven't noticed it switching. Will check again tonight just to be sure though...

Still no reply from Philips customer services with regards to the power down issue. Have to say since my one experience of this it hasn't happened again. Fingers crossed.

Also just wanted to say watched Terminator 3 last night on C5. Standard UHF signal and the 9830 chewed it up and spat it out! I have never seen anything like it! Absolutely amazing - really bad film like - but the picture was awsome. This was just on the 'natural' smart setting too...

25. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Bugger two weeks in and my set switched on / off last night :(

26. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    We were soldiers and Predator are both fairly grainy film prints in the first place. Whatever TV you get, and however much you spend, you can't remove film grain. I used to feel the same - but you can't expect every DVD to be pristine quality. I guess looking forward, the stark difference between an average and an excellent film to DVD transfer will get even more distracting once we get into the high def DVD formats. Lets hope not!

27. Tiarib

Tiarib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Does anyone know the code to access the service menu in the 37pf9830?

By the way i use the following settings (after a lot of changes...)
    Contrast : 68
    brightness : 58
    color : 42
    sharp : 2
    DNR, ActControl and DynContrast all to medium. PP2 off when dvd is on...
    I think it´s a very realistic picture and not to much bright and colored.

28. kam03

kam03

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You can fix this if you go into Menu>Setup>Source> EXT1, EXT2, etc etc set them all to other then if you leave your settings on personal it will always stay on personal.

29. Tiarib

Tiarib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tks for all the information chambeaj... :thumbsup:

By the way, you don´t have to change the device. At the end of the code it will open the menu ;)

30. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163

Just tried that and the picture looks a lot better than what it was set up at though I am only sitting about 2 feet away because my room wont be arranged to how I want it untill next week :(.
    Chambeaj I tried your settings picture seemed bit dark to how I would like it. I do like my colours to be really bright but I am aware in making the picture bright the picture will look even more grainy so think I will leave it as Tiarib suggested.