1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32PD50, 32Zp48 or 36ZP48

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gmjones, Apr 11, 2005.

1. gmjones

gmjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys I am in such a delima which to go for. Sometime I am swayed towards the Panny and yet sometime towards the Tosh.

I got quite a small living room, is the 36" Tosh much bigger than the 32"? Does the external speakers make a big difference?

I mainly want to use if Sky and DVDs.

Anyone owned both of the above? Which one did you find best?

Thanks in Advance

Gareth

2. sloopjohnb

sloopjohnb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a 32zp48 and think it's great. (although thinking about a plasma now except HDTV talk makes it scary - may simply upgrade to the 36zp48)

Will go John Lewis tho. for that Guarantee.

These are big bits of kit although they are not are bad as non 'picture frame' types.

Of course to balance my post the panny is good too!!!!!!!

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have owned a 32zp48 and a pd30 the latter being almost identical to the pd50 and for sky the tosh wins and for dvd the panasonic wins .If it was my money i would go for the panasonic.The only reason the panasonic doesnt look as good with sky is that it displays such good definition and sky compresses their signal almost to nothing.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I thoroughly recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48. Regards, yt.

5. paul738

paul738
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    whats a delima?

6. gmjones

gmjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dilemma :) I type too fast sometimes and dont think! ;-)

Has anyone owned the Tosh 32 then upgraded to 36", just wondering if it made a big differnence the extra 4". Does it take up much more space

7. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I have the 32" and would never consider upgrading to the 36". Unless the room you're putting it in is exceptionally large it will be too large a screen - you will end up sitting too close to it - you will end up seeing the inherent faults in the transmission chain to your eyes - you will regret buying it. Just my opinion, regards yt.

8. SKH

SKH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gareth,

I was in a similar situation just before Christmas -

The decision as to Panny or Tosh was a 'no brainer' - it was the Tosh straight away. But I was back and forth as to whether it was the 32 or the 36 inch! In the end, I went for the 32 inch (a decision swayed by the missus!). However, I'm pretty glad I did now as I also have a small living room - at a guess the screen is probably less than 8 feet away - the 32 inch is superb! 36 inch would have been too intrusive - there is a difference in not only the screen size but the actual depth of the unit.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    If you're not sure if the 32" or 36" is right for your living room, just measure your viewing distance.

Then go to the shop with your tape measure and use it to audition each size TV from the same distance.

Of course, they might call the men in white coats... :rotfl:

10. gmjones

gmjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been told that the PAnny 32"PD50 is not discontinued!

11. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was in two minds whether to go for the 32" or 36". In the end I went for the 36" and I am so glad I did. It does depend very much on your viewing distance, mine is 9.5 ft. Anything less than 8-9 ft and I would go for the 32".

12. gmjones

gmjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I suppose you are right, My viewing distance will be around 8ft so perhaps the 36" will look too big in a small lounge like mine! Do the external speakers take up much room?

13. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    External speakers are fairly small and can be tucked out of the way. I don't use the external front speakers, using the internal ones instead.

8' viewing distance is right on the limit. I would not say don't consider the 36", you really need to see for yourself. DVD will be brilliant at this distance, it's only low quality sources that may not look so good. I cut pieces of card to the screen size to help me decide. Remember the whole TV is only a little wider than the screen (hence picture frame). I was lucky as two work colleagues already had this set so I was able to see it in a real home enviroment. I also paid £300 less than them for it !!

14. gmjones

gmjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iansums where did you get your 32" Tosh from? So you dont need to use the front speakers? Do you need a cinema kit or is the sound good enoough?

15. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I got the 36" Tosh from John Lewis. The main reason I do'nt use the front speakers is that the wife did'nt like the look of them either side of the TV. And to be honest there was no way I could position them to get the best out of the surround sound, so I use the internal front speakers with the external rears.

IMO (and I'm gonna get slated here), I think surround sound is a bit of a gimmick. Unless you've got a perfectly set up cinema system and are able to whack the sound up really loud you do'nt really get the full benefit. Some times I actually find the sound coming from behind me a bit irritating.

Do'nt get me wrong I am impressed with the set up I've got and one of the reasons I got the Tosh is that I wanted DD5.1 without a seperate amp, subwoofer etc. When I do get the chance to whack the sound up (wife & daughter out the house) it does sound very good. I just do'nt think surround sound is that big a deal, not compared to picture quality.

16. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    GM I think from 8” the 36” is a bit large, Saying that though - I felt that this screen is very nice for having a very small surround around the screen, this makes it look smaller than it actually is 36”.

Ian : FWIW I have all the speakers external but placed right beside the TV (Fronts on shelf & Rears at side of stand) :

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/CJRHifi/SD9500-36ZP48P-8000T-65.jpg

Not too bad visually I find. Soundwise excellent. A very good compromise for those not wanting a AV 5.1 rig, Im stereo orientated and this TV is a god send sonically, I bought it mainly for the visual side (component input) but its sonic side has been a very nice bonus. I think you would need to spend £200 AV Amp & £400 on speakers to improve on it (it has an onboard sub as well - which has a fair wallop IMHO)