32LS60 + Pioneer DVD Players...

lentini

Had one delivered yesterday and loved it although I've noticed a problem. I have a Pioneer DV-444S DVD connected to AV2 via RGB and when I finally got around to watching Fight Club and Pulp Fiction last night, I noticed some flickering during outdoor scenes. When I searched through the forum, I came across this thread and this one on the KV32 TWEEK board so it's not only me with this problem.

Anyone else own a Sony TV and a Pioneer DVD and have these problems?????

[edit]
Just got off the phone with some uninterested bloke at Pioneer and he says there's been no reported fault with the 444. Typical response...
[/edit]

JohnTres

Standard Member
This is very bad news for me.
I have a Pioneer 545 DVD player.
I had just decided to get a KV28LS60 today and then read your post. Very reluctant to go for it now. I really don't want any more hassle at this stage, I've had 2 JVCs and 1 Sony LS35 in the last 2 months.

Do any of the scarts support S-Video or are they just RGB/Composite? The KV Tweeks thread you linked said that S-Video via the front panel works fine.

Anyone suggest an alternative to the LS60 for people who have a Pinoeer DVD player!

cheers,

John

lentini

I know how you feel. :(

I've been trying to decide what TV to get for weeks while the shop was ummming and ahhhing over a refund. Now if Currys won't exchange my DVD I'll have to buy a different one and sell my Pioneer.

Anyone interested??? Only 4 months old... :D

S

Squirrel God

Try setting your Pioneer to specifically output PAL or NTSC accordingly (ie don't use the Auto setting) and see if that has any effect.

Also, have you tried AV1?

lentini

Didn't think of that, I'll give it a whirl when I get home.

...and yeah, I tried AV1 using my Sky SCART lead, still the same.

JohnTres

Standard Member
You could always connect the 444 via AV3 and S-Video?
I believe it works ok according to the KV Tweaks thread.

John

JohnTres

Standard Member
Took my Pioneer DV-545 along to my local dealer to try it with the Sony KV28LS60 via RGB.
I immediately saw some horizontal interference right across the middle of the screen in bright outdoor scenes. Does this sound like the same problem?
Also tried it with an IXOS scart and the problem was more obvious.
I am going to have to get a replacement LS35 (which does not have the same problem) rather than upgrade to the LS60 which has better sound.

And S-Video did not cure it you say (didn't have my remote with me so I couldn't change to S-Video in the shop).

cheers,

John

lentini

I immediately saw some horizontal interference right across the middle of the screen in bright outdoor scenes. Does this sound like the same problem?

Certainly is the same problem. I'm having to put up with it waiting for Richer Sounds to get a Multi-Region Tosh SD220e back in stock. :mad:

And S-Video did not cure it you say

It cured it slightly (the flickering wasn't as bad, but still there) but I knew the flickering was there and I could notice it every time.

Sharring

Standard Member
Yup

I have a 32LS60 and a Pioneer (DV 626) DVD player and the same fault on RGB :(

The fault is more noticable on some discs than on others but always seems to occur on outdoor scenes.

It is very annoying :mad:

M

Matt Hero

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question.....

Have there been any updates on this subject ? I had set my heart on the LS60 and have a Pioneer 545 DVD player which I do not want to change....

...after reading this thread I spoke to the fairly knowledgable TV bloke at my local branch of John Lewis who said that he'd never heard of the problem (natch !) but I could take my dvd player in with any disks I wanted to test the LS60 for myself.

Any suggestions as to what to take ? Ultimate DVD Platinum be OK ? Do I need to test both Pal and NTSC for this problem ?

Ta,

Matt

lentini

I couldn't be arsed to potch about with fixes and solutions so I just bought a new player and sold my Pioneer.

Problem solved :D

gvh

ah the irony of buying a fairly cheapish tv and then spending 2 or 3 hundred quid more to actually use it :)

I'm in a similar position and as the toshiba stand is pretty naff I'll either wait or get a phillips 9527 instead

or maybe I'll move home ....

lentini

Originally posted by gvh
ah the irony of buying a fairly cheapish tv and then spending 2 or 3 hundred quid more to actually use it :)

not really, bought a Tosh 220 from Richer Sounds for £135, sold my Pioneer for £80.

H

Hippy

Hmm maybe it is the Pioneer DVD players afterall, you may of notcied other threads containing problems relating to the use of Pioneer DVD players with Panasonic Teles, but only when using RGB generally.

Do the Sony TV's u mention use Panny tubes, or after all there denials, could there be a problem with the Pioneer output that they could easily fix??

Likewise am selling my Pioneer for a player that can use RGB.

S

Squirrel God

Originally posted by Hippy
Do the Sony TV's u mention use Panny tubes, or after all there denials, could there be a problem with the Pioneer output that they could easily fix??
No Sony TVs use any tubes other than Sony Trinitron tubes!!

N

necroscope

now that i have decide out of all the tv's that i have looked at i have decide on the 28LS60 which brings up another problem what dvd players are u LS60 owners useing i'm looking at getting either a Tosh SD520E or a Sony 705 multiregion and sell my Pioneer dv-545 or try and swop it with the wifes dvd player Tosh SD100 ...

gvh

Finally now own a 28LS60 and it a lovely thing. I own a pioner 525 and I get the problem as described. S-video cures it. To be honest its not life threatening and I had to look hard to find it.

Compared to the picture I used to have on my old tv .....

cheers

roger.browne

Standard Member
Recently bought a DV550 to go with my KV28LS60, and as you might expect from this thread I get problems with RGB. S-video does seem OK though, so am now deciding if I can live with it. Interestingly Pioneer still report no problems with this combination, despite obviously having had other calls from members here!!

gvh

Perhaps we should figure out a list of definitive scenes from discs to beat people like Pioneer over the head with.

A starter for 10.

Shrek. The choose a champion scene. The shots of Farquaad on his balcony talking down to shrek. The pale background behind him (the walls) shimmer nicely.

The latest video from AVForums

Dog Soldiers & Flatliners 4K, Black Phone, RRR & Mad God on digital, plus 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Sky, NOW and Paramount+ UK for September 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Pro-Ject Audio launches X2 B turntable
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Clearaudio launches Reference Jubilee turntable