32LG7000 LCD - Processor chip blown

jdp49

Standard Member
Reaction score
Help please
After 16 months my TV failed on power up. LG support couldn't dignose problem. It now appears the processor chip blew when TV was powered up at wall.
Anyone else had this problem,
Any idea how easy to replace chip and if so what processor needed.
:(

Help please
After 16 months my TV failed on power up. LG support couldn't dignose problem. It now appears the processor chip blew when TV was powered up at wall.
Anyone else had this problem,
Any idea how easy to replace chip and if so what processor needed.
:(

I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I have even more bad news though. It won't be easy to replace the chip, meaning I don't recommend you do it yourself. The TV will more than likely require a new main board, as the chip is most likely soldered directly to that.
I would ask LG to put you in touch with your local LG service centre or ask the store you bought the TV from for help. You will either have to send the TV away to be repaired or a technician might come around and do the job in your home. Either way, I think it will leave you out of pocket, unless you have extended warranty.:(

How do you know the processor chip has blown?

Unless you have had a diagnosis by a professional i would bet it will be a power supply problem.

andy

Thanks for this Andy - don't want to bore you with the whole story but LG support were useless and after they told me they didn't have clue what the problem was they told me I had to complain to my retailer if i wasn't happy. I phoned Currys who told me to obtain report from TV engineer. He believes processor failed and recommended full board replacement cost £180. I have now written to Currys as engineer could find no reason for processor to fail other than it must be faulty. I await their reply
JIM

Thanks for the reply Jim that answers my question.

I have an LGLH3000 and it concerns me that LG support is not very good in this case.
The sad thing about products today they don't last long and iv'e repaired freeveiw boxes lcd pc monitors due to bad capacitors but anything else and it's not worth it.

I would tell currys that you intend to take LG to the small claims court (they may pass the word) if they don't fix it FOC as tv's are supposed to last more than 16 months if it doesn't then it's not fit for purpose.

If they refuse then take them to a small claims court and i'm sure they will agree it is not fit for purpose.

Then of course there is also the bad publicity angle as well.

I hope you get it sorted out ok.

andy

Thanks for this Andy. Dont want to worry you but LG support originally didn't have a clue what the problem could be but promised a senior technician would phone me. No one did. I then phoned back and had a totally unprofessional conversation with another LG support agent. They were clearly speaking to someone else who suggested a factory reset. When it didn't work and because I was outside my 12 months they wouldn't help. When I asked if they thought their TV should last more than 16 months they told me I had to contact retailer. Currys have come back to me tonight with an offer of compensation of about 60% of new cost. Wont touch LG again though

Thanks for this Andy. Dont want to worry you but LG support originally didn't have a clue what the problem could be but promised a senior technician would phone me. No one did. I then phoned back and had a totally unprofessional conversation with another LG support agent. They were clearly speaking to someone else who suggested a factory reset. When it didn't work and because I was outside my 12 months they wouldn't help. When I asked if they thought their TV should last more than 16 months they told me I had to contact retailer. Currys have come back to me tonight with an offer of compensation of about 60% of new cost. Wont touch LG again though

60% is pretty good as its out of warranty. Most people don't get a penny even if its within the warranty, just a swap for a service return. SOGA is pretty useless after 12 months, u fall into the "Reasonable" trap.

Yeah my tv's got a fault wont start up first time. This happened after 15 months. LG told that's why they advise that you should get an extened warranty, ( why would they advise that, coz their TV are crap maybe)..

Sedge

LG aftersales are woeful. Don't give in. Go to retailer and ask them to fix for free. Sale of goods act states things should be durable (within reason) and you would expect a TV to last more than 15 months. The retailer is responsible for the things they sell.
Good luck and let me know how you get on

Hi jdp49

yeah i have gone back to the retailler DSG grp . They are saying i must get an enginers report. TV is at the engineers at the mo so gotta wait and see. Miss my 42 in tv got an old 24ish crt. How rubbish is that ? very..
cheers anyway ill post any response that i get from dsg etc... eddie

Hi Eddie

I hope its economically viable to repair. If not they will probably offer you around 60% of new price as compensation
Good luck
JIM

It beats me why people even consider buying an LG product these days what with there diabolical after sales record...these people are total amatuer's and deserve there place in the top 5 worst ever after sales companies....hope Curry's come through for ya though good luck

"lifes good" as long as you dont own an LG

cheers zomboid2003 gotta agree with you. My first LG product and its put me off them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom