32LG5700 a good choice for Full HD?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by PaulFCB, Feb 10, 2009.

1. PaulFCB

PaulFCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I'm from Romania and I posses a Panasonic Plasma TH-42PV8 and recently bought a 42LG3000 both for living rooms.
    I thought it's time to buy a smaller one this time but for my bedroom where the viewing distance would be clearly smaller ( ~2 meters ).
    For the 42LG3000 I spent here in Romania a month ago ~ 450 pounds equivalent with a LG DVD included and I considered the price quite good, it was a offer from a store.
    The 32LG5700 is also ~450-460 pounds at the same store but this time it has Full HD.
    My questions are:

1.32LG5700 is by far the cheapest Full HD ( or HD Ready 1080p? ) around here as much as I can see and it makes me think that neither LG has the best price-quality or the TV isn't that excellent.
    My doubt is: On the LG site I see this is the only model that features 5(700) so it's a modified version of a 32LG5000 that wasn't Full HD but only HD Ready. Is there a problem with this fact?
    2.How old is the 5000/5700 seris and just as a fact the 3000?
    3.The second most cheapest seems to be a Samsung ( so much "peasantly" overrated as "the best f the rest" over here in Romania for they're LCD's, the Samsung is LE32A558 at 516 pounds, of course the possibility for other stores to have a smaller price on it is possible, I'm only asking if between these 2 ( 5700 and A558 ) there is a clear advantage for the Samsung.
    4.The TV will be used for Playstation 3, HD Movies and of course normal TV in Analog though because the Digital Receiver is in the living room for the Plasma.
    5.The 32LG5700 has a DVB-T? Any chance for it beeing a HD?

If anybody can help me since I wanna buy the TV quite fast to start playing PS3 and seeing movies on HD rather then SD :rolleyes: so far :(.

2. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    1080p is not really necessary at this size... you will compromise specs and general picture quality id look at a decent "HD Ready" Panel. PS3 games are not 1080p anyway and HD films will look exactly the same at this size.

The Digital tuner in any current flatscreen will NOT receive HD channels

The 5700 series came out around same time as 3000 series.

3. PaulFCB

PaulFCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you're help...it seems they don't have the TV till 2nd of March.
    So the options seem to be Samsung LE32A558 or 37LG5000.
    The 37LG5000 is bigger, seems to be the same series, also Full HD, a bit more expensive but is it better/worse/exactly the same thing only a bit bigger then the 32LG5700?
    How is the Samsung compared to the 32LG5700?

4. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    The 37LG5000 has very similar picture quality to the 5700, the prolems are just accented by the fact that it's bigger, for your viewing distance I would go for the 32LG5700 instead of the 37LG5000. I prefer the LG to the Samsung too, better sound and I prefer the picture.

However, you might want to consider going for the newer 32LG6000, the picture is nicer than the 5700, it's no 1080p but you don't need that. There are very few PS3 games which are made in 1080p, even the ones which say 1080p on the box aren't, they're just upscaled. the 32LG7000 is 1080p but is more expensive, picture quality is better though. I'd go for the 6000 though, I think it's a very nice set.

5. PaulFCB

PaulFCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that might be a option two ( 6000 series ) but it might just have the same problem as the 5700. I talked to 3 online stores allready about the 5700 and everybody is saying that it will be available from the 2nd of March while the 6000 is probably comming in the same day.
    In stock they seem to have only the Samsung out of the potential 4 options ( 5000/37, 5700, 6000 and Samsung/32 ).
    The only thing with the Full HD is that I'm thinking more about the future with this TV. This one will be used at least 75% of my time and I don't plan to buy other TV's soon unless in 4-5 years they will become very accesible. So it's not about the Full HD now, but how much it will help over the HD Ready in some years.
    And yes, the 7000 series seems to be quite expensive apart from the thing It ain't in stock yet on the online stores so I guess its over my budget. :(

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  6. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    If you're worried about HD TV then don't be, it's braodcast in 1080i, which is supported by those sets, the only thing native to 1080p (apart from one or two video games) is blu-ray, and it's not like it doesn't play in 720p, it's still stunning in 720p, I play blu-rays on my 37" Panasonic plasma and I'm stunned every time. 1080p provides very little difference at 32" unless you get really close, standard definition TV does suffer slightly on all of those sets though

7. PaulFCB

PaulFCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I heard Sky has 720p or 1080i, I wish I would have Sky Sports HD for the football games and those things in HD are really great! The only problem is, I'm not in England or very near it in Europe, I know i can install it here two ( some Irish Pubs have it ) but living in a flat is a disatvantage cause I think I can only put the antenna on top of the building and I'm on the 11th floor from a total of 14. Another problem would be the money as I think it's not quite cheap considering the HD Receiver and stuff. Maybe you know more. While for the house on the country side I just finished and for where I bought the 42LG3000 I will probably only spend some of my weekends over there and a few more time in the summer when football ain't playing. This ain't only a problem to see football in HD but also to see on TV La Liga and Serie A that went on a private channel for the last 2 years and Premier League just started to go public from October this year after 3 years.
    But again, for the future, won't it be possible for these transmission to have 1080p and I would need to buy another TV? Of course, maybe a ordinary 1080p in 4-5 years would be quite cheap as long as the economical crysis doesn't continue and the curency of the Romanian Leu won't fall face to the Euro/Pound.

It's a bit off-topic I know, but let's just say this is main reason I want to have a HD TV in my bedroom.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  8. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    It doesn't really matter if TV is broadcast in 1080p in future (it wont be for a while) because you will notice very little (if any) difference until you go to SD and the quality is worse on a 1080p set

9. PaulFCB

PaulFCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does a LE40A330 at ~475 pounds sound? Its 102 cm, I know, pretty much for the current distance, but I might try to permanently move the TV to another spot though I would have to adopt a more couch position. Of course, this if only the TV is worth it for such a move. They have a limited stock now ( max. 3 pieces and the discount is 10% ).

10. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I don't have any experience with that set but I don't think it's the best of the Samsungs, which, in my experience, suffer from some motion smearing and have worse than poor sound. Personally I'd choose one of the LGs instead or the Samsung you mentioned earlier (one of the LGs for me) and don't forget that 1080p really isn't needed, for your price range the SD quality will suffer a lot.

11. PaulFCB

PaulFCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a 32LG6000 so if they're not going to call me tomorow to say they don't have this will be...it.
    So thanks Monarch08 for the help, I hope it's the right choice, tough for just 30 RON I could have gotten a Full, in some way I agree with you even though some tend to tell me 1080i will be seen better on a Full HD in case of HD TV.

12. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it and if you don't then I'm sorry, personally though I think it's a brilliant set and many people agree. You'll have a few turned heads too when they see it, it's (dare I say it?!) a sexy piece of kit. And 1080i will look the same on terms of resolution on a HD ready set as on a Full HD set. 1080p looks better, but hardly (if at all) on a 32", and SD looks worse, and that is noticeable.

Let me know how you get on

13. PaulFCB

PaulFCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad news again, seems even the 32LG6000 is totally out of stock, this time, no time limit like on the 32LG5700 ( 2nd of March ). It seems that the LG's have a very big succes here in Romania with these cheaper series ( thanks to the good prices, after all they are the most cheapest at this level ).
    I hope that on the 2nd-3rd of March I will be able to order one of them if I don't have the luck to find one in this time at a decent price ( some stores grow the price pretty much ) but I doubt it since I've been doing a lot of searching.

14. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    There's some new products coming from a lot of brands, LG included, maybe you could get one of the new ones, if they're in your price range

15. PaulFCB

PaulFCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that the 7000 series? I think it's well over my budget of 2000-2200 RON ( 1 Pound = 4.84 RON ) especially because I allready bought the 42LG3000 for the other house.
    7000 series isn't spread on our market yet and that could be a reason. I can only find a single store with the 32LG7000 = 3000 RON so well over.
    So I guess I'll have to wait till 2nd of March now or try some normal stores maybe they won't have they're prices much bigger then the online stores, though I doubt the succes.

16. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    No, a whole new range, the 7000 is the top end of last years range, when the new years range is released there will no doubt be a 8000 range, unless they change the name. If you're waiting until march anyway then you may as well take a look, they might be over your budget though

17. PaulFCB

PaulFCB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After all I just bought the 32LG3000, much cheaper and doesn't have anything less for me then a 6000, at least 100 punds cheaper also.
    In the course of the 2009 I might buy a 5700/6000/7000 ( if they get cheaper, 7000 might be a choice, but our national curency is in announced future fall so they might not ). The reason is I might put the 3000 in my room at the other house and have a newer one here, but this only if it prooves worthy to have one extra tv at my weekend retreat.

18. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Hope you like the 3000, it's still a good TV, the main improvement in the 5000 ect... is the sound, some of the 3000s have sound problems, not all though. It's probably the best for the money if you ask me, and the best 'entry model' set by all of the big brands