1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32inch tv with DD or not?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by PinkPanther, Jun 18, 2001.

1. PinkPanther

PinkPanther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I could use your help.
    I live in Belgium, have ordered the Toshiba SD210E dvd-player (that still hasn't arrived) and am looking now for a widescreen tv to go with it.
    I like the Toshiba 32ZP18P a lot, but Toshiba is hard to find over here and I haven't found a shop that has it. I would like to take a look at it before making a buying decision.
    I know most people don't like tv's with DD, but I don't want to buy a seperate amp and speakers. I'm also considering the aesthetic aspect.
    Here are my two possibilities:
    1. A 32" widescreen with DD (Tosh 32ZP18P or 32ZD09B)
    2. A 32" widescreen without DD (Panasonic TX32PK25 or Panasonic TX32PG30) and buy a Videologic Digitheatre DTS (or similar).

I tend to go for option No. 1 as I won't set the volume very high, I just want to get the DD effects.
    What do you guys think, is this a good choice? Anyone got a better idea?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think most people here would say buy a seperate sound system, but like you I didn't want seperates at this time.

I have the 36ZP18 and can vouch for it's sound quality. The DD effects are excellent. The only thing it misses is a really booming subwoofer. It has a Super woofer which is a really good subsitute but you don't get any windows shaking.

Most people seem to be happy with the new Toshiba so that would be my biased recomendation.

Cheers
    OG

3. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh 40pw rptv which i bought with DD because i didnt want to have a seperate amp and stuff all over the place but I found to get the best of the DD surround effects I had to turn the tv up quite loud, so I have since bought a Pioneer vsx709 which is both DD/DTS and also has a midnight mode on which boost's the surround levels but evens the volume as a whole out,,,, meaning at lower volumes you can still hear everything that is going on and when the time/wife allows the volume can be pumped up far more than the tv ever could :D :D

So I would say go seperate! as far as i know you will still have to buy seperate front left and right speakers and a sub to get full 5.1 from the tv anyway

[ 18-06-2001: Message edited by: Strumpers Plunkett ]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pink Panther, I to would recommend the Toshiba if you have Digital reception however if your reception is analogue you would probably need to see it in action first. With Digital the results are superb especially on DVD but if you your signal is pretty weak analogue wise, you may be better looking at available options before spending your hard earned cash.

Regards
    Barrie

5. PinkPanther

PinkPanther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I really like the Tosh.
    Another question.
    Over here the 32ZP18P costs about £ 1.320. When I look at UK sites (e.g. QED) it costs less, whereas normally tv's cost 10-15% more in the UK than in Belgium. Anyone can explain this?
    Furthermore, they charge extra for the stand. I e-mailed Toshiba about this, but haven't received a reply. :(
    This is the European common market, right? So why does everyone have to pay different prices for the same thing?

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    this months What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision reviews the following :-
    Toshiba 32ZD09B - 4 stars
    Hitachi C32WF810N - 4 stars
    Panasonic TX-32PG50 - 4 stars
    Philips 32PW9616 - 5 stars
    The tosh was the worst picture on analog transmissions, but good if you used its component inputs (though you would need similar DVD)

The chose the Philips as best picture, best sound. It also has wireless rear speakers which some households might appreciate

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pink, don't get on to that Common Market thing. In the UK get ripped off for most things. Last year I bought a new car from Holland and saved £7000 - other than the UK dealer treating me like a second class citizen when I take it in for a service, there's no difference in the car to one that would have been supplied by the UK dealer.

Cheers
    OG

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would think that even the Digitheatre will give better sound than an dd tv .

i have a tosh dd tv and the main problem i have found is . the set rattles at the back whenever any bass is sent to the set

as has been said even going for a ddtv you are gona have to ahve some speakers . so you might as well have desent sound coming out of them ;)

9. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoi,

i am from holland.
    And i sugegst you go for the philips 9616.
    It's IMO the best DD TV available.
    In earlier messages i read a lot of people commenting on the fact that the Tosh TVs were not made that well anymore. Seems the quality is getting worse.

I believe in getting a seperate set along with normal TV.
    You can do it two ways...
    1)go all out.
    Buy a receiver with a speaker package.All seperates. Pretty expensive.

2)Buy an all in one home cinema set. DVD and receiver with speaker all in one. The pioneer Dv1 for example.In this case you don't need to buy a seperate DVD player.

I think these options will deliver better sound than what a TV with DD can deliver.
    TV setd can't go very low. In the above mentioned options you buy either big fronts or packages that include a small Subwoofer.

PS The nice thing about the 9616 is that you can connect a Subwoofer via the TV. This will give a huge improvement and a small Sub is more than enough.

Good luck choosing