• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

32inch LCD, do I REALLY need 1080p and is ChromeCast a valid alternative to Smart TV functions

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Hopefully I am OK posting here, I didn't want get it in to too much technical babble from the TV thread and/or get lost amongst all the more expensive TVs.

Wife wants a TV for the bedroom, not sure why, we have enough TVs. Due to the position of the bed/wall we need a big-ish screen to make viewing sensible, max size is 32in, I would consider 26in/28in but they are rare, and mostly cheap panels/makes - if any one knows any decent ones please advise.

Minimum requirement is Freeview HD, budget is around £200-£220. I had a find Samsung lined up - U32F5000, but since sold out and the price has gone up elsewhere. I have seen a few others, some are 1080p, many are 720p. I reckon viewing will be 60% freeview, 40% streaming - so no DVD/BluRay/Gaming (I dont want the units in the bedroom). Based on this, 720p would be fine and 1080p would not be even utilised, having said that, it would perhaps be nice to have 1080p in case there was a reshuffle and the TV ended up somewhere else, but that could be years away, and would I even be bothered on a 32inch screen?

Secondly, if budget allowed I would go for a "Smart" TV, been happy with a 24" Sony Smart TV, it plays Lovefilm and Iplayer, but not Netflix. My thoughts are just to go for a basic TV and add ChromeCast, will ChromeCast give me what I need? Thinking I need Iplayer/Netflix/Lovefilm as a minimum, is Lovefilm possible? Any alternatives to ChromeCast?

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I may be wrong but I though chromecast was just a device to allow you to stream content from an android device to your TV. I didnt think it was something you install apps onto.

As for the TV, I would stick to a 1080p TV, especially if it is for watching freeview HD. Keep your eye on hotukdeals for a bargain. I got a 32inch LG 1080p 3D smart TV for £237 from prcdirect after seeing the deal on hotukdeals.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Seen them both, the Samsung I had my eye on was £199! It will perhaps come back around.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
1 No, you don't really 'need' 1080p at 32in.
2 Yes, Chromecast is quite good. Especially if you have other android devices.

dj_padd

You need an android device or iPhone/iPad as they act as the remote but the Chromecast itself streams the data over WiFi and not the phone so it doesn't use any mobile data.

At the moment you can't stream any media that is on your phone with Chromecast eg pictures/videos, you can only stream from apps eg Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube

PSM1

Distinguished Member
How far are you going to be from the TV. Unless you are going to be very close (within a metre or so) then you will not get any benefit with a 1080 screen since you will be too far away to pick out the extra detail. Hence a 720p scrren will probably be more then enough and no point in going to 1080p. No point paying extra for etail you can not even see due to the distance you are away from the screen.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
You need an android device or iPhone/iPad as they act as the remote but the Chromecast itself streams the data over WiFi and not the phone so it doesn't use any mobile data.

At the moment you can't stream any media that is on your phone with Chromecast eg pictures/videos, you can only stream from apps eg Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube
Doesn't Plex let you use chromecast using your pc/phone.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
All devices (Phones/Tablets) in our house are Android, not too concerned about streaming from NAS, but Iplayer, Netflix, LoveFilm would be nice.

Just bought a Sony KDL32R423 for £207.

Its 720p but with Freeview HD, so it should be fit for the job.

What I don't understand is why 720p is still being made, I would have thought with mass production of 1080p stuff would make 720p obsolete? No? I wonder what kind of manufacturing costs are saved on 720 vs 1080, there can not be much in the panel/processor etc

IronGiant

I was quite surprised last time I looked that TVs were still being sold as "HD ready". As you say I thought it was here now :)

If I can slightly Hijack the thread, can the Chrome cast stream from a NAS? I can push films to a WD player using my Nexus 7/10 and it would be cool if I could do it to a Chrome Cast too.

Last edited:

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
I am generally impressed with bubble upnp. It is well designed and just works with everything I have thrown at it, tempted with the paid version to get rid of some of the restrictions although they aren't too bad.

IronGiant

Thanks Stunno and jezter, I may take a punt and get one...

Sonic67

Banned
I was quite surprised last time I looked that TVs were still being sold as "HD ready". As you say I thought it was here now :)
"HD Ready" is a certification and means it isn't a 1080p TV. If it is it's "HD Ready 1080p".

IronGiant

Yeah, my point is TV's were sold as HD "ready" years ago when there were no affordable HD devices to hook up to them. So devices no longer need to be labelled HD "ready" they should be HD "compliant".
In 2014 "HD Ready" should mean "capable of accepting a 4K signal" :)

Limerick

I have Chromecast and have to say it's a very good little device, your phone or tablet acts like a remote control but the device itself streams the content from the internet not your phone or tablet.

I think it can only get better when even more apps will be able to take advantage of it, and with it been open source a lot of people will be able to implement it into their apps and at £30 it is one of the best priced things I have seen lately, hope this helps you make your mind up.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I will get the TV installed, then get a chromecast to play with. Thanks all.

arenaman

Curved tellys are here now as well. I just hope they don't stop making flat ones :)

I think the curve is just this year's gimmick, slightly detracts from the PQ as well, I had a good look at the Samsung H8500, it was nice but not without the same old Samsung LED issues. I've just ordered the Sony X9(B) instead

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom