1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32dx100 or 32fx66?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dac, Jul 6, 2002.

1. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    dear all,

i am new to this forum and also new to home cinema.

many thanks to fwan and other major contributors of this forum in rescuing people like myself from getting the dreaded 32fq75.

i have been watching the sony thread with much interest and was hoping that the scrolling bar problem would be resolved and i could get the 32fq75.

however, it seems there is no REAL fix (except for the one in france, which funnily enough came from sony uk).

so my question to you experts out there is ...
    should i get the 32dx100 or 32fx66?

i will get JL to price match kk electronics price of £1279 for the dx100.

the vast majority of the dx100 set owners seems to be absolutely thrilled with this set, but unfortunately there have been some who got the added scrolling bars feature as it has DRC.

i am swayed into getting this also, because it comes with a built in digital box right??? (please correct me if i am wrong.)
    does this mean that the 24 channels soon to be broadcasted free to air by the BBC can be watched on this set without having to buy a set top box?

will a normal terrestrial aerial on my roof be sufficient to recieve these digital broadcasts? i currently have great reception of normal analogue channels.

alternatively, i am thinking about getting the 32fx66 which according to sony is free of scrolling bars (has this been confirmed?)
    this set is cheaper in price but dosen't have the built in digital tuner.
    cheapest i can find for this is £1049 again from kk electronics and will get JL to price match.

i'd be grateful if i could get some advice (pros and cons for each) here as to which set to go for.

cheers,
    dac

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi dac

I got itv digital as soon as they started giving the boxes away for free. I had loads of problems trying to get a pic. I spent a fair bit of money replacing the coax cable with SAT type cable and bought a super-duper ariel. I could now get all channels, but the pic and sound were forever breaking up. I packed it all in after a few months.

Ended up with Sky Digital. No probs, but got fed up with the subscribtion. That also 'went to live on a farm' after about 18 months.

When it came to choose a replacement following 2 faulty FX65's, I opted for DX100. In my mind, I thought in a way I'd be buying out-dated technology if I chose an analogue tv. Despite having loads of problems before with DTT, I was confident of reasonable reception with this - I'd heard that the Sony's had a better digital tuner than most stand-alone boxes.

I find that I get no pic or sound breakup on the BBC channels and minor breakup on ITV. My connections aren't quite as robust now as they previously were, so I would agree that the Sony IDTV's probably have the best digital tuners you could have.

Since it was the BBC that won the lisence bid, I think things will get better. They are commited to increasing signal stength/quality/robust-ness by limiting each multiplex to only 4 channels (6 multiplexs x 4 channels = 24 free to view channels). Previously, 6 or 7 channels had been crammed onto one multiplex.

Unless you want lots and lots of pay tv, and would therefore choose Sky. DTT is the only way your going to get widescreen programming on your widescreen tv.

Re scrolling lines. I have never noticed them under normal viewing, except when I powered up my Tivo. The Tivo outputs a plain blank grey screen when it does this.

I'd say for the sake of about £200 more, go get the DX100. It is a bargain at the price you mentioned. I paid £1370 for mine and thought that was a hell of a deal. I wonder how many people have bought them for £1799.99 on the high st?

3. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    simon,

thanks for the info regarding the dx100. i think i am almost certain that i will get the dx100 over the fx66.

fx66 still haven't been reviewed yet so don't really know what to make of it and it dosen't have the built in digital tuner thats comes with the dx100. (i just hope i can plug in my normal terristrial aerial and recieve good quality dtt :))

anyway, i also read that you have ordered the Sony STRDE585S.
    is this to accompany your Sony DVPNS700?
    can you please tell me how good/bad these are?

how about speakers? did u go for sony ones as well?
    any comments on the Sony Pascal SA-VE535HS?
    (i'll also be getting a sony vcr, SLV-X9)

i am now tempted to sway to buying seperates having firstly considered the DAV S800 for convenience.

cost wise, the best price i can get the DAV S800 is for approx £650 from prc direct.

the cost of seperates will be:

£224.99 (free delivery) for DVPNS700 from
    HiFiBitz

£190.99 for STRDE585S from
    unbeatable

£279.99 for Sony Pascal SA-VE535HS from HiFiBitz

that's about £700 for all that. what's your take on this against the DAV S800? (i have to admit that the speaker stands are a big selling point for the DAV S800 though.)

cheers,
    dac

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Get the DX100 - worth it for FTA DTTV - my DX20 has a wonderful digital picture!

You MUST get a DVD player with RGB as the DX100 has Scart 1 and 2 as RGB, and Scart 3 is VCR

5. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    martin,

thanks for the info.
    quick question from a newbit like me ... what's FTA?
    i take it DTTV is digital terrestrial tele vision :)

yeah i've read told that RGB is better than s-video for picture quality which is another reason for seperates over dav s800.

so if scart 1 and scart 2 support rgb i can plug the dvd player (probably the ns700) to either and have 1 spare right?

i checked the tech specs on sony.co.uk and scart 3 dosen't support rgb but supports s-video.
    (might be a bit of a dumb question ... but is this the standard connection for vcr's scart->scart?)

how about cables ... i have read the IXOS 126 are very good. they cost £32 compared to the new IXOS 162 which are approc £18 i think.
    any advice u can give here???

cheers,
    dac

p.s. the only bummer is that the DX100 stand have 2 shelves which is standard. if going seperates ... i'll have dvd, amp, vcr. ARGH! do i place the dvd on top of VCR? or buy a cabinet and not use the stand supplied?

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    FTA = Free To Air - no subscription/encryption

Scart 1 RGB
    Scart 2 RGB
    Scart 3 SVideo

All do composite

Mine is RGB,SVid, Composite

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Dac

Got the DVP NS700 Multi-region £224.99 inc del from www.hifibitz.co.uk

Was going to get the DVP NS405, but build quality looked a bit suspect. Also the 700 has SACD capability. Very pleased with it, particularly CD audio.

STR DE585 £199.00 + £7.50 del from www.indigo-av.co.uk (nowwhere else had it in stock - new model)

Fantastic! Glad I waited for this (been waiting two+ months) to get DolbyProLogic II which wasn't on the 475 or 875. DP II is very impressive.

SAVE 325 speakers + sub £129.99 (almost half price) from www.empiredirect.co.uk

These speakers are wonderful in my opinion, although audiophiles would disagree. The sub knocks the socks off the one supplied with the DAV's. It can't half kick some ar*e. This speaker package was replaced by the SAVE 335 (hence the massive reduction), although there virtualy identical.

WS FV10 speaker stands £69.99 from my local Sony Cente (paid over the odds slightly, cos nowhere else had any).

Seem expensive, but they are very good quality. After spending so much much money on the rest of the gear, would have been a shame to use some cheap, nasty stands. They are very well weighted.

In my experience, Unbeatable have never had my chosen products in stock. Best to only order from companies without stock as a last resort.

Check www.price-guide.co.uk or www.uk.pricerunner.com to find the best deals.

I have two Tivos, one to each RGB scart, DVD is to the S-vid scart (no 3).

Both installed in the loft, so I can have the amp displayed on the lower shelf and the dvd on the top - looks well smart. VHS is dead. Don't bother with the video. Get Sky+ or Tivo, otherwise your buying out-dated technology.

I am a very happy chappy with my choice of gear, especialy the Sony RM VZ950 'art courture' learning remote which operates the lot, inc Tivos. This was the icing on the cake for me.

8. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    simon,

>Got the DVP NS700 Multi-region £224.99 inc del from
    >www.hifibitz.co.uk
    yeah i used pricerunner to check and this was what came up :)

> Was going to get the DVP NS405, but build quality looked a bit
    > suspect. Also the 700 has SACD capability. Very pleased with it,
    > particularly CD audio.
    sounds like it's a winner :)

> STR DE585 £199.00 + £7.50 del from www.indigo-av.co.uk
    > (nowwhere else had it in stock - new model)
    > Fantastic! Glad I waited for this (been waiting two+ months) to
    > get DolbyProLogic II which wasn't on the 475 or 875. DP II is
    > very impressive.
    what's the difference between dolby pro logic II and standard dolby pro logic(is that the one with just 4 speakers? 2 front and 2 rear?)
    also, why would u need this if there is DD5.1?
    are broadcasters transmitting DDPL II?

> SAVE 325 speakers + sub £129.99 (almost half price) from
    > www.empiredirect.co.uk
    > These speakers are wonderful in my opinion, although
    > audiophiles would disagree. The sub knocks the socks off the
    > one supplied with the DAV's. It can't half kick some ar*e. This
    > speaker package was replaced by the SAVE 335 (hence the
    > massive reduction), although there virtualy identical.
    sounds like a bit of a bargain!
    i saw someone take the dav s800 test in a sony centre, and to be honest (being a newbie) it sounded pretty good to me. so if these speakers are better than the ones that come with DAV S800 it will do.

> Check www.price-guide.co.uk or www.uk.pricerunner.com to
    > find the best deals.
    already use pricerunner :)

> I have two Tivos, one to each RGB scart, DVD is to the S-vid
    > scart (no 3).

why do u connect the dvd player to scart 3 (s-video)
    isn't RGB supposed to deliver better quality? scart 1 and scart both support RGB.

> Both installed in the loft, so I can have the amp displayed on
    > the lower shelf and the dvd on the top - looks well smart. VHS
    > is dead. Don't bother with the video. Get Sky+ or Tivo,
    > otherwise your buying out-dated technology.

hmmm ... would certainly be good. means i don't need to get a seperate stand or cabinet for them.
    but ... surely will need VCR to borrow recordings of mates etc.

> I am a very happy chappy with my choice of gear, especialy the
    > Sony RM VZ950 'art courture' learning remote which operates
    > the lot, inc Tivos. This was the icing on the cake for me

happy for u dude :)
    i think i will give the remote a miss, can cope with using tv and dvd remotes seperately if need be.

what speaker stands did u get for the SAVE325 then?
    are these speakers (and stands) as nice in appearance as the DAV S800's?

well .... £570ish for all your stuff (excl. DX100) compared to £650 for DAV S800. hmmm ... tempting, and better upgrad paths.
    how about scart cables? did u go with IXOS 126?

once again, many thanks for all the advice. much appreciated.

cheers,
    dac

9. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    simon,

oops ... didn't read the bit about your speaker stands! sorry for asking again.

:)

dac

10. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    DPL II

This is a new surround sound format which is leaps and bound ahead of normal DPL. Basicly, it a clever matrix to provide similar (but obviously not quite as good) sound as 5.1 DD from ordinary, bog standard stereo. This could be the nicam sound from the tv, stereo from a vcr, radio broadcasts, CD, etc.

It is magic! Anything other than DVD playback, and you've still got fantastic surround sound, with stereo, full frequency rear channels. Normal DPL uses a mono rear channel split between the two spkrs and freq range is very limited. Have a wonder over to www.dolby.com for more info.

By the way, all the other surround formats, except the Dolby and DTS ones sound garbage. Don't take any notice of the Sony spiel about recreating the Sydney Opera House, etc. It's all nonsense.

Speakers

Probably would have bought the 525/535 package, but when I could get the 325 for that price, decision was made. Thing that I liked about the 325/335 was the styling and shape, particularly the centre spkr. Built quality is very good on these (made in Japan). I would imagine similar sound to those from the DAV800, except the sub on any of the DAV's is a passive one, ie it uses the amplification from the main unit. Whereas the seperate spkr packs always have an active sub (its own built in amp). The 325 - 75w RMS, 335 - 100w RMS. Don't know about 525/535, I imagine at least 100.

RGB/S-vid

The reason is simple, there is massive difference between RGB and composite from Tivo (no s-vid output). There is liitle difference (if any) between S-vid and RGB from dvd.

Tivo/Vcr

In loft ideal, since there are no controls on the unit to operate or anything to insert. All done with a remote extender from lounge. I have a vcr in kitchen and bedroom which are now never used. I'd just bring either into the lounge for playback of mates video tape, although this is unlikely. Both Tivos also output RF to all the tvs arround the house.

Remote

A universal remote is essential. If your going to have the tv sound through the amp, do you really want to swap remotes each time you adjust the volume? Same with watching a dvd!

OK, the amp remote does a few functions of the dvd and the tv, but you'll rely on all 3 remotes far too often.

Cables

Don't beleive in spending a great deal of money on cables for this sort of set up. I think there is far too much hype personally. Tivo scart leads are 10m long, no fancy name on them, but they're very thick and well shielded with gold plugs - £40 each. DVD scart lead 1.5 m, again well shielded, gold plugs - £5 argos. Digital connect - used co-ax (reccomended over optical) simply used the cable that was intended to connect the sub to amp for this. Talking 50p worth. Used a similar cable, 5m long for the sub.

PS

Just remembered another reason why I didn't go for the DVP NS405 - It had imitation plastic feet on it, compared with all the other Sony players which always had proper feet that matched the other seperates, like my amp. Would have spoilt the 'atmos'!