1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32CS70 Peoples opinions?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kingfish, Dec 20, 2004.

1. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guys,

I'm very unhappy with my 32CS70. The picture quality is very poor, and it's nothing like what I thought it would be. Unfortunately in the shop all the tvs on display were using an aerial input so it was pot luck. The shop (powerhouse) has offered to swap it for the same model, I'm just wondering what you guys think about the model? I know it suffers from SVM but I'm sure the picture quality isn't supposed to be that bad. Also are there any other models in the same price bracket you would suggest?

Thanks guys (I'm quite disgruntled about shelling out over the odds for a TV with a far worse picture than my dads JVC 28" that he bought four years ago!

2. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    See, the funny thing about this whole SVM issue is that while I can see what you mean regarding having the setting turned off (I tried the TT36 code on my service menu just to see) - the difference really isn't enough to make me reject the TV purely on that basis.

What I'm having trouble dealing with is the amount of flicker the set gives off, despite supposedly being super-duper 100Hz. It varies from source to source, but in particular my Xbox is the worst offender - stick a DVD through it with high contrast scenes and the lower two thirds of the screen give off a rather nasty flicker.

I'm still putting it to the test as to whether it's the fault of my SCART cables or not - it's difficult to tell. On the one hand I probably should invest in high quality cables, but on the other so much of my equipment reproduces this flickering effect to some degree that I can't help but wonder that maybe the TV is to blame.

M;.

3. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thought it wasn't possible to turn it off in the service menu? (SVM)

4. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It isn't - you can't disable it for a second using the code - it alternates SVM on/off briefly - unfortunately there isn't an option to make it stick.

Tell me - what do you actually have connected to your TV?

M;.

5. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A number of different things. Xbox, PS2, DVD player, Sky +. None of them have a vibrant sharp or acceptable picture. Sky +, which is what I test everything on, is connected via Monster gold scart cables so it's not exactly the quality of the scarts. The problem is it's difficult for me to show the picture quality (digital pictures would never really show the problem properly). I can't tell what quality it's supposed to be (at best either) because every electronics store I go into has TV's connected via the aerial (why do they do that?)

I don't experience the flickering issue that you speak of though. In addition I get a two inch white band down the right hand side of the screen on 4:3 broadcasts which is annoying.

6. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The flicker issue is a strange one - it only happens with RGB, and in certain scenarios. What brand cables are you using for your various consoles - are they all RGB?

The sharpness issue is not one that you're going to solve with an 100Hz TV at this level - TV resolution isn't all that great in the first place. You won't notice it at 50Hz because of the low refresh rate and the fact that your eyes become accustomed to the flickering etc. At 100Hz you have a very stable picture, but still at the same resolution - you're essentially seeing how bad a television picture is at producing a pin-sharp picture.

If I'm honest I find myself quite content with SVM - on a 32" TV you're better off leaving it switched on. Some will argue in the opposite direction but really SVM only becomes a nuisance when you have a much larger screen, where it really is pointless over-enhancing the picture as a compensation measure.

M;.

7. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yeah all RGB. I used to get a really bad flicker with my PS2 on my old tv but that was just a 4:3 samsung 21" or something.

8. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm having the guys who installed it out next week to look at the problem - somehow I don't expect much to be achieved other than either a "what problem?" response or a "we'll send someone else out". But then if I push John Lewis long enough they'd probably let me do a swap anyway, but we'll see.

Have to confess I tried using the TT36 code to view the picture without SVM for a split second at a time and on DVD pictures where you have black outlines (cartoons for instance) the quality difference is quite noticeable, almost to the point of me starting to care :rolleyes: Oh well.

Out of curiosity are those RGB cables of yours official or unofficial ones?

M;.

9. kingfish

kingfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just third party ones? What's this code method you're talking about? I want to give it a go to test the difference?

The only way to turn it off would be to take the back off and pull the relevant plug out but I wouldn't want to invalidate the warranty.

10. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ok you just put the TV into service mode (there's plenty of threads on this in the forum), and when you have the TT-- onscreen, you tap 36 on the remote control. BE CAREFUL that you only tap 36 - different numbers do different things and any number of them could screw your set over. 36 is basically the SVM test switch - put a DVD on with harsh edges in the picture, and use the code - for a split second you'll see the harsh edges drop away to an extent to leave a "natural" picture.

How much of an effect you see honestly depends on the source material - black lines against a white background will be the most affected - up to white lines against black where no effect at all will be seen.

M;.