1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" widescreen trauma

Discussion in 'TVs' started by johnk, May 1, 2002.

1. johnk

johnk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Buying a TV used to be a simple and very enjoyable affair. Then I discovered this forum.

I want to replace my TV with a 32" widescreen. Our living room is small, so it really needs to be as compact as possible. My wife, who never gets enthusiastic about anything vaguely electronic, actually fell in love with the Toshiba Picture Frame (32ZP18) when she saw it in a high street store.

Then I read all the nightmare stories in this forum about the Toshiba's many drawbacks. Oh well, I figured there must be other equally compact 32" TVs - well, only the Panny PG30/PG50, actually. And members of this forum don't seem to be big fans of those TVs either.

And then of course, they're all 100hz, and again this forum, on balance, seems to find a lot of faults with 100hz, especially for action stuff (and I watch a LOT of football).

So I can sit here for the next ten years, waiting for someone to manufacture a compact, well-designed, 50hz 32" set. Or I can buy the Toshiba, take the risk, and make my wife happy. Or someone in this forum can offer me another solution. Any help very much appreciated. (If it helps, I just need plain Nicam - I have a good surround system. My current set is a JVC 28" (50hz!), which I'm pleased with, but even the obvious upgrade choice, the JVC 32WFT1, is a bit too big for our living room TV "slot").

JohnK

2. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    JohnK,

These forums are a fantastic source of advice, help and inspiration; I'm truly glad I joined. But (and with absolutely no disrespect to anyone who's helped me since I arrived here) there's something of a downside to being surrounded by all this expertise and firmly-held opinion.

100Hz is dreadful; 100Hz is wonderful. Buy a Toshiba; no, buy a Sony. Don't on any account buy stuff from Techtronics; Techtronics' staff are incredibly knowledgeable - it's only their after-sales service which is bad. Rubbish - the staff would be at home in Dixons' but the aftercare is second-to-none.

Everybody's different. What looks and sounds good to me may well strike you as appalling. And - unfortunately! - the gear itself is inclined to be inconsistent. One man's Tosh TV breaks down every other day while another's gives sterling service for decades. There really isn't any such thing as "right" or "wrong" in this lark.

Did you see the Toshiba working? Did you like it? That's what matters in the long run. Oh - and if your wife really did fall in love with it, that counts immensely in its favour...

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

3. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My partner also fell in love with the Toshiba, having read the posting I still bought one.

Works a treat! Girlfriend love the lok as it does not take over lounge as she thought it would.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We had the Philips 32PW6515 before returning it as faulty and technical concerns apart it was massive (all that plastic around the outside) and with the integrated stand it looked great but as my father in law said... a monolith in the corner!!!

So when I was looking for a replacement for this faulty set I spent a bit more on the Tosh 32ZP18 (it was also on offer ) because mainly I liked the look of the TV and the performance onscreen in the shop was excellent.

I have now had it for 4 weeks and both the wife and I are well happy with both look and performance of this TV. Also, when switched off it doesnt take over the room and looks stylish too!

5. johnk

johnk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks all, for your replies, they have set my mind at rest (a little bit anyway).

I will probably get the Toshiba 32ZP18 (you're right, Bert, the fact that the wife loves it is a huge plus point).

But I'm still interested in hearing about alternatives - I can't believe there are only two really compact 32" widescreens available (the Toshiba and the Panasonic PG30/PG50) - particularly given the success of the Toshiba. Why are other manufacturers so slow to react? The market must be huge (i.e. people with small living rooms who want large TVs!)

If anyone knows any other equally "small" 32 inchers (including new models planned for release soon), please let me know. Thanks.

JohnK

6. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm similarly amazed that there aren't more "picture frame" TVs.

I also need to fit a new TV in a small space (currently have a 21" 4:3 Sony, could just about fit in a 32Zp18!), but I've putting off buying a new w/s TV for over 6 months now because I keep thinking that someone MUST be thinking of bringing another of these compact sets out - nothing so far!!

Plus - I feel it's a bit of a waste of money to get a set which comes with speakers when I only need Nicam!!

Oh the joys of choosing a TV......bit tempted to just go for the 32ZP18 now though...

7. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was after the same, try this place I got mine without the speakers. Good service and they know their stuff.

www.toshiba-direct.co.uk

8. ginelli

ginelli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you please tell me what problems you had with your Philips Television as I am having a few aswell- a green screen fault hapenning intermittently. Hope you can help, thanks. Andy

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Don't think you'll get a reply from that particular poster as the membership has been totally deleted. (Can't say why - ~4 years ago).

10. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,935
    I already answered you in a different post where I suspected you had a duff crt.

11. ginelli

ginelli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for letting me know,mate. I am pretty knew to these forums.Thanks Andy

12. ginelli

ginelli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I know you did answer me in a different post,thanks. But I need to know if it is documented anywhere and if other people have had problems similar to mine because I am trying to get mine repaired and am not having much joy with philips. Can you tell me how much it is for a new part and is Philips the only place I can get one? Thanks Andy

13. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,935
    I doubt you'll find it documented anywhere...just do a search of this forum using "Philips" or the model no of your TV and you should find quite a few posts.
    A 32in crt (which Philips no longer manufactures) costs roughly £250.00-300.00.
    Philips are not likely to entertain a free replacement crt once a set is out of warranty unlike some other manufacturers.
    You could try contacting them by strongly worded letter.

14. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,213
    Have you seen the Samsung Slimfit TV? Its not as compact as the Tosh around the screen, but its less than 40cm deep which is quite slim for a CRT.

15. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    That's interesting. I bought a 5-yr warranty with my new Philips in January. What will happen if (touch wood it won't) it needs repalced in the period?

16. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,935
    They will either have a few in stock for situations like this...or...more likely... replace the set with a new model.

17. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks. Hmm, new model for the 32PW9509. Hmm... :rolleyes:

18. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ive had a jvc 32 inch high resolution tv for 3 years and very happy about it. Picture is suberb, Mind you the tube inside is toshiba.

Picture quality is stunning with the right quality source and i think alot better than most plasma and lcd displays.