32" widescreen advice needed

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by thamesider, Apr 13, 2002.

1. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,
    i need some advice on the best 32" widescreen to replace my current knackered 21" model.
    i have been looking around a few sites and have narrowed it down to the following:-

Toshiba 32Z17B - £735( inc cab)
    Samsung WS32W8VD - £686 (no cab)
    Sony KV-32LS35 - £649 (no cab)
    Sony KV-32LS60 - £749 (no cab)
    Sony KV-32FX65 - £799 (no cab)

Are any of these sony models affected by the problems documented on other threads?

My budget is upto £800...ish
    I would prefer 3 scarts+ dolby pro logic

Any advice, gratefully recieved on any of the above, or on any other models that fit the profile.

cheers.....Dale

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    myself personnaly i would stay well clear of sony after the whole fq problem.so that leaves samsung an toshiba samsung i have never owned or seen reviews of so cant comment toshiba i do own an like 3 scarts etc picture nice.have you seen a review of the samsung an where did you get the price for the 32fx65 by the way toshiba are not without there haters either there seems to be a few problems with there sets to so take your pic.happy shopping an hope you dont get a bad set which ever one you choose mate :)

3. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the Toshiba 32ZD09 model. I own the ZD08. Very nice.

Bazza

4. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the same problem trying to find a 36" TV - went to see the new Phillips today with Pixel Plus tech - it is very very very nice - deffo going to get one once i find cheapest place.

Spike

5. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,
    thanks for the replies, the sony`s are out then? Has anyone got anything good to say about them?
    Bazzae, i`ve looked at the tosh 32zd09, very nice, but a bit out of my price range, the cheapest i can find it for is £1299.
    Silverback, I have`nt seen any reviews for the samsung, it just fell into the price range, looked ok, and had most of the features i`m looking for. I found the prices for the sonys on krishav.co.uk the cheapness makes me wonder if they knnow about the bad press and are trying to get shot of them quick!
    spike, have you any model no`s for these new philips in 32" size? more to the point will i be able to afford one!!!!

thanks for the advice, i`ll be grateful for more.

cheers....Dale

6. Steni

Steni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the 32FX65 and it's perfect. I even managed to get a different stand (one for DX40) to replace the one looking like the oven door. The picture is excellent and hooked up to the home system sounds great. I only had it a couple of days though. Careful with the cheap prices, I've been there, I asked on the phone if it was a UK supplied TV and got a positive answer. Due to good advice on this forum I did not place the mail order and when to the shop. After paying I opened the box and the TV had a two pin plug which then plugs into a UK adapter. Upon demand that they write on my receipt confirming it's a UK supply they refused. I refused to accept the set and asked for a full refund, they were a bit rude but having payed by card I was not worried and they had no choice.
    I bought from Comet in the end (expensive) but at least I know if anything goes wrong they will still be there.
    The TV is excellent (so far).

7. Frankmo

Frankmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmmmmmmm! Am I the only person with a SONY KV32FQ75 which works perfectly and has no problems? Or am I tempting fate by saying this?

I got the scrolling bars once, on playback of a (very) poor videotape recording. Better quality tapes have not produced the same problem.

For anyone who's interested, this my set up:

RF aerial to four way distributor.
    RF co-ax from distributor to VCR.
    RF co-ax from distributor to TV.
    Scart from Panasonic Sky Digital box to SONY DVPS536 DVD
    Scart from DVD to TV (AV1 RGB input)
    Scart from TV AV2 (with output taken from AV1) to VCR.

Reason I have a four way distributor is that I have a co-ax run to the kitchen TV.

My only warning to anyone buying a 32in widescreen is that make sure you are not going to sit too close to it, otherwise you'll see the MPEG artefacts on digital transmissions. Specially noticeable on fadeouts. Sit too close and you'll also see how crap some of the source material is. Best picture quality I have seen so far is on Channel 5 "Out There" programme which is also shown by Bravo. On the FQ75 it is stunning.

Mind you, my daughter was watching the music channel Magic on the kitchen (14in SONY) TV and I was astounded at the lousy picture due to heavy compression. The picture looked like one of those Realplayer downloads. Nevertheless, this is due to the TV stations, not the TV.

Best advice, is spend half an hour in the shop looking at the TV you want and get them to let you play with the remote.

If you are happy with what you see, haggle. I got the local SONY Centre to match the lowest internet price!

Cheers.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've got a Sony TV 50Hz IDTV

Their IDTVs seem to be trouble free as well as having an excellent picture

9. pi3141

pi3141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frankmo,

You actually own an FQ75 with NO scrolling bars - are you sure, have you tried watching something like Pitch Black / darker pictures ?

When did you buy it ?

I have an FQ75 with Sony STRDB1070, pascal 525 speakers and it sounds awesome - shame about the scrolling bars !

DX100 for me unless Sony can resolve the FQ issue by end of this week.

10. Frankmo

Frankmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup. No scrolling bars. If I change channels to the VCR channel (AV2) and switch the VCR off, I can just make out some scanning going across the screen. I can't see any at all on terrestrial tv, sky digital, or dvd.

I bought mine on 1st March.

:cool: