Question 32" TV: HD Ready + HDR or Full HD?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Rickbo, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Rickbo

Rickbo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

First time poster here so be kind!

Looking for a 32" TV to use as a second unit and looking at the Sony website, they either do Full HD sets at that size or, confusingly, 'HD Ready' sets incorporating HDR (which presumably output at 720p/1080i).

Now, I know that resolution isn't everything but would 1080p without HDR capability still look better than 720p with HDR our are there more factors to consider?

Additionally, any recommendations at that size?

Thanks in advance!

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    They have very little in the way of HDR capability. Assuming you're looking at the WE6 models I believe it's just the ability to read HDR format content with no extra hardware to display it. The WE7 models do get some limited ability in the form of a wider colour gamut.

Although I believe they also lack HDCP 2.2 so the majority of HDR sources won't recognise them at HDR capable, it's mainly for Sony's Playstation games console.

How much difference resolution makes depends on how far away you are, extra small details only help if you're close enough to make them out.

On a budget TV like these I wouldn't worry about the technology though, it's all about the quality of the implementation. Focus on general picture quality and buy the one that looks best to you.

3. Rickbo

Rickbo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, it's the WE6 and RE43 lines I'm considering (WE7 doesn't come in 32" on Sony's website). Neither has the Triluminos display unfortunately. I doubt I'll be able to see them side by side anywhere before purchasing either. Might just have to take a punt!

Thanks for the response.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Triluminous has no benefit at all apart from with HDR, its a term Sony use to describe wide colour gamut and Its kind of pointless having a wide colour gamut even on a larger £1000 tv. Since you have to pay that kind of money for decent HDR PQ anyway. In many cases HDR is best avoided even when people are spending that kind of money, let alone on a 32" TV.

I really would not worry about anything other than the panel type on the TV. If you need wide viewing angles then you will be suited looking at the models you have done already, models at that size from LG, Philips and Panasonic are likely to use IPS type panels.

If you don't need the viewing angles you can get better blacks/contrast probably by going for a Samsung TV at that size. But I'm not 100% their TVs will have VA type panels, they are just more likely too.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    I hadn't actually checked, I just assumed it did because last year's variant (WD7) came in 32". It looks like there's still plentiful stock of the 32WD75 so that's worth a look too.

6. Rickbo

Rickbo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, thanks all. Really helpful advice.