32" TV fo PC monitor use - what to buy? - does 100Hz technology matter?

Xenon83

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've been looking to buy a 32" TV for some time and I think prices have dropped to a resonable level now, so im reading reviews and such, alot these days. I was close to ordering the samsung 32" A656 but then realized that it doesnt have 100Hz technology. Im not sure thats such a big problem though - several ppl on this forum that have bought a TV from the A656 series, like the picture better without 100Hz technology from what I've read...

I'd appriciate any posts that could help me decide what to buy - other models ect.

thx a bunch :)

For pc use there is no need for 100Hz IMO.The Sony KDL-32W4000 is a better choice though have a look at it

thx for the anwser CHRISGEO. I know ur a guru, so I think I'll end up buying that KDL-32W4000 :) ... It seemed the A 656 had great response time though - but the 32W4000 has even better? - or mayby just contrast/overall quality? Response time does mean quite a bit to me....

thx for the anwser CHRISGEO. I know ur a guru, so I think I'll end up buying that KDL-32W4000 :) ... It seemed the A 656 had great response time though - but the 32W4000 has even better? - or mayby just contrast/overall quality? Response time does mean quite a bit to me....

He is a Sony guru, that's why he recommended you the Sony, at least i think so :)

Thanks for your appreciation.The response time is 6ms on the samsung and 8ms on the sony no big difference though....

He isn't a guru, he just keeps repeating the same thing again and again. This isn't experience. Blind leading the blind tbh. Unless chris can back up his experiences of screens he's bought...rather than just had a quick demo and being a Sony faboy all the time.

Thanks for your appreciation.The response time is 6ms on the samsung and 8ms on the sony no big difference though....

ye I know - manufacturer response time numbers can never be trusted - when it comes to response times I only trust numbers from X-bitlab reviews :)

I have an additional question regarding the KDL-32W4000 - I take it the "alu-bar" hanging below the actual displayframe is the speakers - can it/they be deattached?

I doubt hes a sony fan, based on the mere logic that it is pointless being a fan-boy of a manufacturer - it just doesnt make sence... Unless one has stocks in the company ofc, but even then...

You haven't been here that long. Basically someone comes along asking for advice and for most of the time he says "buy a Sony" He isn't a qualified ISF technician or anything like that. He just views a couple of sets in Dixons for a few minutes, and suddenly he thinks he's the TV god. Just look at his sig.

As for 100hz, waste of time with PC input. If the response times of the sets are similar, and not different (there are a few methods how response is measured) I'd go for the lower response one. 2ms does not sound a lot but it's a fair percentage quicker.

I would rather go for Samsung then Sony if i would be you because Samsung probably has the best TV for gaming so it should be really good for PC as Samsung has also very good LCD monitors.

Take a look at the Samsung LE-A656 F thread and you will see that people are very happy with the PC picture, there are even some pictures.

Badbob I am again pretty much dissapointed by your point of view concering my presence here.I consider it again as an attack and I for now kindly request you to stp this.Yeah I DONT OWN AN LCD.IS IT A PROBLEM???I have the ability to check many lcd's at proper viewing conditions and not conditions like dixons environment.I also have the ability to check forums across europe to see the customer feedback on tv's so that I can have a better view of the tv's as other to see it in shop and other to gather the feedback from owners.So far the W4000 seems an excellent tv withought any problem.The opposite happens with A656.I can give you a full list of links if you want and then have a look at them and tell me which you find a better option

I consider it again as an attack and I for now kindly request you to stp this.Yeah I DONT OWN AN LCD.IS IT A PROBLEM??

What are you going to do, report me for showing other forum members what you are? Only a fanboy (and clearly you didn't like my sig) would take my view that you're unqualified to pass judgement on TV's when you don't own several models, or have your own shop to view them. So you go to forums big deal.:rolleyes:

I have the ability to check many lcd's at proper viewing conditions and not conditions like dixons environment

Post visibile proof please- with you in the shot, with sets plugged in same sources, in a home enviroment or a shop that isn't a brightly lit electrical store. This post may be classed as trolling, but I'm getting sick of your repeated posts. Until you've had a few LCD's your opinions are just repeated comments and faults from other owners.

I am not and so rich to have on my home so many tv's to compare.You still believe I am a fanboy however I can give you now the link of the review site where the W4000 has an actual contrast of 2.500:1 and even 3.000:1 while the 46A656 with the better panel than the 32" gets an 1.300:1 maximum.The black is 0,9 on the 46A656 and 0,1 on the W4000 so almost equal on the 32"
The only thing you need to do i s translate it via google translate and see for yourself.Even withought translation you can understand the measures

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/article-303.html

As for the fanboy others can see for their self and djuge

Don't most TV's disable the 100hz mode when in PC mode anyway?
Xenon, i'd go with whichever is cheapest. All of them have problems be it clouding, banding, smearing or uneven backlights. When using the PC most of the processing will not take place which, imo, makes the Sony kinda pointless unless it is a similar price.

The A656 does seem to have a few more issues in terms of quality control than the Sony... still though, go have a look at a shop and then decide.

A really fair point to get back on topic as these posts dont help the OP.I have to definitely agree that the 32A656 doesnt offer anything more than the 32W4000 and seems like it looses

What are you going to do, report me for showing other forum members what you are? Only a fanboy (and clearly you didn't like my sig) would take my view that you're unqualified to pass judgement on TV's when you don't own several models, or have your own shop to view them. So you go to forums big deal.:rolleyes:

Post visibile proof please- with you in the shot, with sets plugged in same sources, in a home enviroment or a shop that isn't a brightly lit electrical store. This post may be classed as trolling, but I'm getting sick of your repeated posts. Until you've had a few LCD's your opinions are just repeated comments and faults from other owners.
I agree with your comments badbob, advice which is biased is not good advice

I use my Hitachi 32" only via PC, I have WMC which allows me to watch and record freeview broadcasts.

In my instance 100hz does not appear to be an issue. I am not about to become embroiled in the heated debate here as to which "my tv is best", and suggest that you dont too.

Firstly look at the basic facts, as a general although not conclusive rule lower response time and higher contrast ratio is deemed better.

I would suggest that like other contributors here you read a few threads on expensive and budget models, compile a shortlist and demo them with your own eyes where possible *or* where not make sure you buy one with a no quibble money back guarantee if its not suitable for any reason.

In my own and personal opinion there is very little between them these days with careful setup

Don't most TV's disable the 100hz mode when in PC mode anyway?
Xenon, i'd go with whichever is cheapest. All of them have problems be it clouding, banding, smearing or uneven backlights. When using the PC most of the processing will not take place which, imo, makes the Sony kinda pointless unless it is a similar price.

The A656 does seem to have a few more issues in terms of quality control than the Sony... still though, go have a look at a shop and then decide.

the sony and the samsung cost the same where I live (denmark), so it pretty much comes down to performance.. I think the panasonic TX32LZD85 uses 100Hz proccessing on all signaltypes, including PC signal, but it cant be turned off so im not sure i wanna buy that TV :/

important for PC use is 1:1 pixel mapping and IMO a 1080p set if you can get one for more usable screen space. Less relevant at 32" for video, but very useful for PC

important for PC use is 1:1 pixel mapping and IMO a 1080p set if you can get one for more usable screen space. Less relevant at 32" for video, but very useful for PC

I presume that all the new 32"'ers have 1:1 pixelmapping and im pretty sure im right. What im not sure about is whether the "metal bar" hanging under the sony 32W4000 can be removed somehow...

The metal bar??They are the speakers

The metal bar??They are the speakers

I had a feeling they were - but can they be removed?

Another thing u might know chrisgeo - will the 32" X4000 model have 100Hz technology? I watch alot of fotball and I think that 100Hz technology might make fotball games a better experience...

The speakers?No they cant.There will be no 32X4000 and there will be no 32" 100Hz for 2008

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom