32" TV broken - blank panel - only 3 years old

lersince1991

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hannspree 32" TV as recommended by many members of this forum for my budget at the time. Since then the TV broke (can't remember what broken the first time) 2 years ago, it got repaired and was hung on the wall in my media room and stayed there since. It has now just packed up again and I think the panel has gone entirely!

The TV shows that the other electronics are working as the sound works and also the standby and power light comes on as normal. But when powered on there is normally a hannspree logo as a splash screen as it starts but it doesn't even do this and has broken :(

Would anyone be able to guess the problem and what are my options?
There is no money to buy a new one at all, and doubt there is money to repair it. :(

Purchased from "intekx"
Partial statement from last time it broke
"Your tv was purchased on 1st June this year and is covered by a two year
collect and return warranty."

I would really appreciate any help!
DESPERATE! :(
Thanks, Luke.

Almost certainly the backlights have failed, or the inverter that drives them. Probably repairable.

You could try a claim under the sale of goods act as "unfit for purpose" as it should last longer than 3 years.

have emailed them, hopefully this can get sorted out...
Thanks for the reply mate

fail! :(

Quote:
"Dear Mr Riggall

Your tv was purchased three years ago and so is not eligible for a repair under the manufacturer's warranty. We have looked into this further and don't feel we are required to take any further action either contractually or with regard to your consumer rights. You can check into this with Hannspree but we suspect their position will be the same.
You have mentioned there were problems with the panel but we have no record of any notification of this and it is now too late for us to take this up with the manufacturer and we should have been notified of these problems at the time they occurred. You have also mentioned that you feel the current fault is similar to the initial one and hence that there was an inherent fault. Clearly neither of us can be sure whether it is the same fault or not , but you have had a period of two and half years since the repair was completed during which time you have not raised any issues with us. Manufacturer's generally offer a period of one to three years as a warranty during which they will correct any faults which develop and in addition to this we , along with other providers , offer extended warranty periods to cover these eventualities and would not do so if it was envisaged that they might be required. Obviously you elected not to take up this option and must have been aware that at the end of the warranty there would not be an automatic repair facility available to you .The position regarding warranty , extended warranty and our terms and conditions were at all times available to you .
We appreciate that this will not be the answer you were looking for but we have considered the matter carefully and taken into account the consumer guidelines and contractual position.

Regards and best wishes

Intekx Sales"

Mod Comment: removed, circumventing the swear filter

Last edited by a moderator:
Get an independent engineer's report.

It will confirm the fault is due to component failure, not wear and tear. It should also confirm the fault is due to poor design/manufacture and that such a failure is classed as not for for purpose.

It is quite likely the parts required to repair are not available. Either way, The Sale of Goods Act comes to your rescue. The retailer is legally obliged to repair or replace the set. More likely that they will offer you a partial refund of the initial purchase price, less the use you've had from the set. They also have to refund the cost of the engineer's report.

One final note - don't behave like you have in this thread, getting your infraction by swearing! Keep calm!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom