1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" Toshiba LCDs - Bargain Prices!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Elsie Dee, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a 32WL36 at a Currys store today at £1,299 and a 32WL46 at a Powerhouse store for the same price. Both were in stock and cheaper than any net retailers at Pricerunner.

Currys said the 32WL36 was £700 off the usual price. The slightly pushy saleswoman in Powerhouse said that the the 32WL46's had only been in 3 days and the price was for today only. The normal price is £1,499 but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at the lower price again, very soon.

These bargains make the quoted £1,299 price of the forthcoming 32WL48 at www.unbeatable.co.uk seem quite realistic.

Can anyone recommend these Toshs for full screen HCPC use?

2. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've had the Toshiba 32WL46 since mid August and have been very impressed with it. I paid £1499 from Unbeatable, so prices are falling quite quickly....If only I had known they were bringing out the 48 model with HDMI input I would have waited!

I have my modest Laptop connected into the set, web browsing and games all look great and I have not noticed any blurring and the same applies to PS2.

Hope this helps.....

3. DaveBUK

DaveBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have pre-ordered the 32WL48 from Unbeatable @ £1299 +£40 postage and hope to get it within the next couple of weeks.
    Flashman, How is the 32WL46 with Sky input, particularly football and low quality channels ?

Dave

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What is the difference between the L46 and L48 models?

5. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I want the 32WL48 too. From the 'intellegence' I have been able to pick up, the differences are the 48 has a high-definition input but the contrast ratio is quoted at 500:1 rather than the 46's 800:1 - strange move on a new model. The 32WL48 has bottom speakers.

The price on Unbeatable is £1,299 and Electrical World £1,519. The only minor glitch is that neither haven't got any as it is not due for launch for two weeks.

I looked at the 32WL46 at a local showroom which had the same UHF feed as all of the other 32" models. The picture is superb and noticably better than the Sharp.

On this basis, I cannot work out how Toshiba can sell to Unbeatable for them to offer is at £ 1,299. I'm gonna ring Toshiba tomorrow and see what I can find out. Keep you posted.

6. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    DaveBUK - I have to say I'm not a great footy fan, but things like Formula 1 which involve rapid camera pans etc pose no problems to my set, the 32WL46. Also, I play first person shooters on the PC and the set happily copes with this.

I've seen the new model the 32WL48 and it is almost identical to the 32WL46, speakers set underneath silver frame etc.

As my earlier post stated, the only real differnce I can see in spec is HDMI and a lower contrast ratio......As I don't have any HDMI kit and no plans in the near future it wasn't a great issue to me. My set will display HI-Def through the component inputs anyway (assuming any new kit still has these fitted to output it!)

7. DaveBUK

DaveBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flashman - Thanks for your update. Have you actually seen the 32WL48 in the flesh or on the net ? I think the 32WL48 comes in both sliver and black/silver. There is no detailed info on UK websites but I did get get some info from a french website,http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154359. The new Thosiba catalogue should be out in a couple of weeks which hopefully will include the 32WL48. I have also emailed Toshiba to check on the contrast ratio as it seems odd to be lower than the 32WL46.

Regards

Dave

8. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    this seems odd that Toshiba would release a new LCD with inferior specs unless they are using a New/Different Panel?

This could be due to many reasons, I hope its because they have gone with a panel that has no motion blur, and is quicker then the old.

also many company's no include a Dynamic contrast enhancer in their screens

9. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm sure I read somewhere (think it may have been the Toshiba Stasia microsite) that the WL48 has a digital tuner. They are also doing the smaller 26" version with a built in DVD player!

10. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    DaveBUK,

I've seen the 32WL48 on the Home Cinema Choice website on their news page! It was on the 24/09. Their mini review shows the set in silver and to be very like the 32WL46, apart from the desk stand being squared off instead of rounded.

Here is the link; www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=6910

Hope this helps.....

Alex

11. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    was active vision used in the 32LW36/46

12. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am considering ordering the 32WL48 from unbeatable but I just hope they stick with the quoted price.

I notice 3 foreign sites (one Russian and two French) show the contrast ratio as 550:1 which is curious. An error, different ways of measuring, different panels or just confusion. Any thoughts?

13. DaveBUK

DaveBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Active Vision was used in the 46, not sure about the 36. Toshiba have improved the Active Vision in the 32ZP48 CRT compared to last years 32ZP38. So I am hoping that the WL48 Active Vision is improved over the WL46.

I had a useless reply back from Toshiba on my question about contrast ratio differences between the WL46 (800:1) and WL48 (550:1?). It said ;

"Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you
    requested as follows :
    The Higher the contrast ratio the Clearer the picture will be.
    If you have any further queries or would like to go through your query with
    an advisor you can contact us on 0115 9766958,
    Monday - Friday 8.00-20.00, Saturday 8.00-18.00 and Sunday 10.00-16.00, or
    feel free to reply by E-mail.

We trust that the information is to your satisfaction. If you have any
    further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on the above number.

Kind regards,
    Richard Harpell.
    Toshiba Consumer Products Division Helpdesk"

I did telephone tonight but technical support had never heard of the WL48.

With regard to a digital tuner, I thought it was analogue only.

There are also some UK websites showing a sliver and a black/silver versionhttp://www.buyyourav.com/1024x768/spec_list.asp?change=prod_frameset2&name=Special+Offers& and the Russian Toshiba sites also show it in black/silver (that's the colour I want).http://tv.toshiba.com.ru/catalog/tv/lcd/32WL48/. Anyone speak Russian ??

Regards

Dave

14. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  15. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I spoke to Toshiba today. A nice guy called Jason who promised to call back with the info and did ten minutes later. That always impresses me.

The 32WL48 is HD and the contrast ratio is 500:1. I am guessing that they use smaller pixels for the HD and hence the lower ratio. Toshiba's shipping date is end-October so don't expect to be tuning-in before bonfire night.

My way of thinking is that a tele should last at least 5 years (my B & O is 15 years old and is nothing special) so with HD coming along in a couple of years I'm happy to go for it. Having seen the superb pic on the 32WL46 I am happy to trust Toshiba not to bring out anything inferior.

Like Elsie, I hope that Unbeatable stick to their price and they will get my order in the morning.

If anyone else wants to chat to Jason, he is on 08704 424424.

16. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I bought the Pan 60 dvd rec only for the 85 with 80GB HDD to be announced a few weeks later. Then later I bought the Tosh 26" 46, only for a week later to read about the 48 with HDMI. Still, I haven't a source with hdmi anyway I suppose. Though I would have liked to be future proof. Extremely pleased with the Tosh's performance after some initial dissapointment, (screen takes a while to 'bed in').

Edit: right now I'm mad. Have just seen price for 32" Tosh with HDMI. £1,299, or just £25 more than I paid for my 26" lcd. :mad: :( :rolleyes:

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_22541.html

17. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    LOL
    Next time you plan a major purchase, post here and then we can all give it a week for a new model to come out

18. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the 32" Toshiba 32WL48 for £1239 (free delivery). Just £35 less than what you paid for the 26". :thumbsup:

19. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    really where?

20. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is it worth buying the 32WL46 at a low price (I may be able to get one for £1150) with the 32WL48 just around the corner for not a lot more? obviously nobody owns it yet so can't give a definitive answer, but my CRT is about to die and I will be completely TV-less if I don't buy very, very soon, so buying the '46 today is appealling to me, but I don't want to buy it if the '48 is going to be a major improvement - I could go and buy a secondhand 14" for £20 and live with that for a few weeks until the '48 gets shipped.

Basically, I'm asking whether the '46 is worth £1150 and Is the '48 likely to be worth holding off for?

21. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :suicide:

What's that phrase in German for 'shameful joy'. Schaudenfreude or some such spelling. Tut tut...... :lesson: :laugh:

In reality, I have no need to replace my Pan 85 dvdr, therefore I don't have a need for an lcd tv with HDMI. The 720p/1080i is sufficient for upcoming Sky hi-def broadcasts come 2006. Plus a spare component input for PS3/hi-def tv. Also, the Tosh was always a stop gap. I'll be looking towards a 42" flat screen when the res is 1920 by 1080p, PQ is higher and prices cheaper. All digital connections present etc.. :) :)

22. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I think the lesson to be learnt here, is wait and see. Don't leap in because it seems cheap. Still, I had been waiting since 2000 to get a flat screen, thought it was the right time, and was still caught out. I would suggest that as the 48 has HDMI you'd be better waiting for that. Especially as this seems to be the ultimate digital video lead and hence future proof, (for the next 5-10 years at least). Personally I'd wait until the unit is reviewed. Just look at Pannys 434 plasma which got rave reviews. However the newer 435 hasn't faired so well. Great prece for a 32" lcd with HDMI though.

23. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    looking at QED

are those samsung models new?

they aint on their site

25. Elsie Dee

Elsie Dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skiny,

The price is right enough but the description is, as you say, not quite right or just shoddy "32WL48B 32in PANEL ONLYSILVER". I thought "B" meant black and is it silver only or panel only? A 14 day delivery would be optimistic. Why don't they try a bit harder to get it right?

Worth keeping an eye on around the launch date to see how they correct it.

£100 net cheaper would be a serious saving - well found.

26. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea. I can't get any information out of them either. I sent them two emails, and both were replied to with pre-written answers, that not only didn't make sense, but didn't answer my questions.

27. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    B sometimes means britain

28. millsey

millsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble is from the spec on unbeatable for the 32WL48 has a lower contrast that the 32WL46 TV?

I cant find out off Toshiba if this is correct or not. Does anyone know?

You gain one thing and they take away something elsewhere....

29. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    It's interesting that the 32" WL48 has an rrp of £1,600. That's £700 cheaper than the 32" WL46 when it launched earlier this year, (£2,300 if I remember correctly). I wonder why? it's a big difference. :confused:

30. DaveBUK

DaveBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So lets summarise the 32WL48 prices (inc delivery):

Qed £1238.86 (£1599.99 high streeet price) colour silver
    Unbeatable £1339 colour ?
    Buyyourav £1649.98 (£2499.99 MSRP) colour black and sliver
    edirectory £1866.12 colour black

Anyone got any other prices ?

Also spoke to Toshiba sales today and they said that it should be out at end of October and that it is only going to be the silver version released in the UK.

I think for the QED "32WL48B" the B stands for Britian not black. Just need to convince the wife that silver is OK and perhaps change my pre-order from Unbeatable to Qed. I'm using the Barclaycard price promise so if I find another retailer selling it cheaper within 60 days they will pay the difference. With the way LCD prices are reducing I think that's a good idea.

Two other things :

1. The reduced 550:1 contrast ratio still needs clarification and it's impact on picture quality.
    2. On the Russian Website I think it says that the 32WL48R has a SD, Smart Media, Memory Stick memory card slot. That would be a nice feature.

Regards

Dave