• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

32" telly for about £400

chris_huh

Standard Member
I've got about £400 to spend on a 32" tv. I've had a look round here (particularly the thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759488) and a few other places.

I will be using it mostly for SD stuff through freeview but also 360 and PS3 games (will probably eventually get a few blu-rays), not sky or HD broadcasts.

Is it worthwhile looking at 1080p24 ones for better movie playback?

I also get quite annoyed by tvs that take ages to change channels (i've never understood why it should take 2 seconds to switch channel, maybe i'm just impatient).

I've drawn up a shortlist of a few that look good, but feel free to mention some more:

Sony KDL-32U3000 - 2HMDI, £400 but not 1080p24
Sony KDL-32P3020 - 2HMDI, £410 but not 1080p24
Sony KDL-32S3000 - 3HDMI, £425 but not 1080p24
Samsung LE-32A436 - 3HDMI, £410, 1080p24
Samsung LE-32A457 - 3HDMI, £460, 1080p24
LG 32LC56 - 2HDMI, £350, 1080p24 (i think)

Are these ones actually any good, i've heard that some fo the samsungs can have screen problems (scrolling lines), but i'm not sure how common this is or if these panels suffer from it.

I'll probably pop in to currys later (if they havent shut it down already) to have a look at a few.

Thanks

Jagtar

im in a very similar situation right now..

i cant beleive that LG is 1080p and 24p for £350!!?
Im currently undecided between the sony's s3000 and d3000 with the d being the one with 100hz and 24p but still 720p, but being around £590ish

On this board i havent heard any other reccomendations apart from the sonys and one panny..

i want to know if there is actually any noticable difference between 24p 100hz than not?!

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
The LG just accepts 1080p but downscales them.Among them the best is Sony KDL-32S3000 and Samsung LE-32A457.All these models are not 1080p native but accept and display 24p

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Yeah you are correct.24p is becoming a must now so I see you will use ps3 blu ray so an 24p tv is better

chris_huh

Standard Member
Yeah, i thought that calling it 1080p24 was a bit wrong since they are 720p. I was going by some stats from pricerunner which said that some of the 720p tvs have 1080p24 whch i assumed meant it accepted 1080p content (but downscales it), and will show it at 24 fps. Is that right?

I was (and still am) surprised about the price of the LG, i think i might need to check those specs again.

From what i could tell the Sonys i listed dont have 24p (apart from the 32D4000), and the others (samsung and lg) do.

Does anyone know about how good the remotes are and channel sqitching speed. I always like to have a nice remote since it is the thing you actually touch. My parents have a 40W2000 which came with a really plasticky remote (and so did the 20S2000, which they also have). the newer sony remotes look a bit better, but i remember seeing a samsung one which was nice (it had buttons for you dvd player/vcr/digibox etc too).

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Yeah they will show 24p although downscaled.The D3000 has really 24p,the S3000 dont

Jagtar

but dont sammys have a known banding problem?

gah! i wanna get the 24- 100hz D3000bravia but..aint sure if its worth the money over the s3000

chris_huh

Standard Member
Yeah, i had heard that about the sammys but wasnt sure if it applied to these models. The D3000 looks good but thats leaping to about £600.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Yeah its worth the extra,also the scrolling lines problem exist on all 2008 ranges unfortunately but the only with 24p

chris_huh

Standard Member
Is the Lg one 24p? and if it is, is it any good?

The D3000 does look good, but i dont think i will be able to afford it. Are there any other 24p sets that are a bit cheaper, like the sammys (but without the lines problem).

Jagtar

mmh iv read the d3000 thread and how it has some motion blur issues at normal brightness and then disapears at high brightness but then you get a washed out picture..

i wonder if this is the same for the 24p/100hz-less s3000 model..

chris_huh

Standard Member
thats interesting. I was starting to think about maybe stretching and getting it, but if it has these problems maybe i wont bother. I'm not sure how important the 24p thing is.

Does 24p make any difference to gaming (ps3 and 360), or dvd films. Is it just blu ray rilms that will benefit from 24p?

Jagtar

yeh im in the same damn situation....
but dont seem to be getting any definitive answers....

i might make a new thread about this ...

chris_huh

Standard Member
im going to go to currys and have a look at them to see if that can explain anything further (even though they are unlikely to know anything anyway). With the sammys i dont know if its just a situation of a lot of them have the problem, and if your lucky and you get a good one, which is fine, with no problems. Or whether its something they will all suffer from, but isnt always a huge problem.

The d3000 looks good, but a lot more than i expected to spend, so if it turns out 24p is only really useful on hd movies then im not so fussed.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
dont go currys the worst place,better to an av store

Jagtar

is it true the retail stores arnt worth going to because they max out the settings because of the lights etc.. therefore not true'y representative of the TV.

how bout a sony center? im sure they know how to calibrate their own tellys.

chris_huh

Standard Member
I went to currys in the end and saw the S3000 and the samsung 32A456C (which was the closest i could get to 32A457). The samsung had better colours and darker blacks. I couldn't see any problems with lines and such, but then its possible they just got a good one. I think i preferred the sony though (despite the colours, which might be changeable through settings).

A friend got a samsung a year ago which now looks a bit dated for some reason, whereas my parents sonys, which they got about a year and a half ago, still look quite new. I don't know what it is, but i think i prefer the look of the sony because of this. Plus the remote response time for the sony should be better than the samsung, unless samsung have speeded their remote up a bit.

They did have a D3000 but it was just plugged into a ps3, and was up near the ceiling so i couldnt really get a good look. It did look good but i don't think it looked amazingly better than the S3000 though.

I don't like currys and comet and such as they rarely know what they are talking about, and usually hook up the gear in a crap way, but i don't know of any other place that i can get to easily.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
is it true the retail stores arnt worth going to because they max out the settings because of the lights etc.. therefore not true'y representative of the TV.

how bout a sony center? im sure they know how to calibrate their own tellys.

surely a better place

chris_huh

Standard Member
It's been a while and i still ahven't got one (realised that i didn't really have enough money, but i get paid next week so i should be looking now). I have also come across the LG 32LT75 and am quite interested. It seems fairly cheap and i like the idea of having a HDD in it. The only HD stuff i will actually be using it for would be PS3 and Xbox, it woudl mostly be used for Freeview (ie SD) so the SD quality is important.

There are a few things about the LG which arent so great (like the thing about changing channels to record etc) but they could be fixed with a firmware update, and they aren't that important anyway. I might try to have a look at it somewhere (john lewis probably).

I still like that sony, but i think the hdd would be useful. I have read through the forums here about the Lg and other reviews. They all seem positive apart from a few nigly things that may get fixed.

Anyone got any views on this tele?

akhlaq768

LG 32LC56 - 2HDMI, £350, 1080p24 (i think)

I like the sound of this tv... can you post a link to where i can get it for that price... does anyone have a review about it... its the correct size i'm after and the price is good also (my budget is £300, but can stretch it)

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom