1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32" Television Purchase

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Baby Dave, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Baby Dave

Baby Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please god, somebody help me!

I'm caught it the typical scenario of reading endless reviews on potential sets, shortlisting a few, then reading on the forum that the sets have faults. a lot could be said that only people with faults actually post on forums (the others are sitting in front of their TVs instead). After discarding Pannys (does anyone have a good'un?), Toshiba (looks like it was disigned by Lada in the 80s), I'm starting to head towards the Sony 32FX66.

Yep, that's right, the sets that BUZZ. Which brings me to my question,

When you say buzz, do you me if my nose was pressed on the screen or is it that noticable that it sounds like a hornet is trapped in my ear?

I may be like and through sheer ignorance I won't even notice all the errors you people mention.

Ingorance is bliss?????

2. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm afraid mine is hornets trapped in both ears......

Although read the sticky thread above and you will see I'm not alone. The set though is extremely fantastic you just need to perservere and get the engineers to fix.

Please read the sticky as there are many positives to this set

3. Baby Dave

Baby Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what you're saying is that, when kicking back with your fav DVD going through even a HiFi set up (not exceptionally loud), you can hear the buzzing on a muted TV?

Should I order the TV and three engineer appointments in advance?

My quest for the perfect (or at least acceptable) TV goes on.....

Like the search for the holy grail!!!!!

4. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    baby dave,
    I had just settled on the fx66 but cant get it anywhere decent ie john lewis as it has been discontinued.
    So back to the drawing board for me too!

5. Baby Dave

Baby Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that's just b****y great!

Any other suggestions people?

I'm liking the Sonys (especially the price you can get a FX66 for), so are there any other suggestions.

Like everyone else, I want something that does the biz and is not an eyesore (I'm talking about you Tosh!!!!!)

Are any of the other Sonys any good and when you said this model is being discontinued, is there a replacement of roughly the same price and performance?

Help!

6. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there are still some fx66's out there. eg
    http://www.totaldigital.biz/product_info.php?products_id=10
    Its just whether you want to take a chance online.
    I am also considering the 32LS60.
    other than that, its wait and see for sonys new range in the next month or so or its spend
    £1400 for the KV32FQ80, which is supposed to be very nice, but then you can get the 36" 36FS76 for the same money.
    have a look at this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69964

Having looked at the 36FS76, I am very tempted!

7. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the 32LS60 about a month ago and Im very impressed with it.
    Excellent picture and NO BUZZ :D

8. Baby Dave

Baby Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links :)

It nice to know that others have the same dilemas and confusion as me when looking at a new set (sorry if that sounds a little mean).

The FX66 link for the price match with JL was one that helped make up my mine in the first place. I was hope to get it through JL as well in view of the additonal benefits (warrantee). If the set is discontinued, is there any chance that JL would look for the set in another branch and get it to your local branch? Maybe that's asking a little too much.

Did you consider the Phily 6527? (not a suggestion, just wondered why you went for the Sony).

Depending where you look and who you listen to, the set is in the same price bracket and can be an exellent set. Is it this model where you can get a dodgey panny tube?

I'm constantly bitting my own a**e over Tosh sets. They seem to be the biz, reasonably price, but I can help thinking they look b****y aweful. Even the picture frame looks like they ran out of ideas when packaging it.

Tosh picture frame in a shiney Sony shell, aaahhhh now that would have been nce.

9. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    There is only one choice

The Sony KV32FQ80 , I've gone from four (yes four) PB50's to this set , it's like going from VHS to DVD !!!

DRC100 is fantastic for DVD , Sky,RF ,sports

DRC50 is Fantastic for DVD,Sky,RF and even better for sports

Basic 100Hz is Great for everything (much better than the panny)

The difference of RF quality between my Sony and the Panny I had previously is astonishing , the pic on the Panny was unwatchable whilst on the Sony it’s sooooooo clear and free of any noise .

:D

10. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True Mansell, the FQ80 would be my choice but not at
    £1400!
    Thats the same as the 36" FS76.
    No i will try JL one more time for the FX66 then look at getting the best deal on a 32LS60.
    My mate has one and it is very good.
    So good he thought it was 36"!
    It also has a closed stand for all those little sticky fingers!
    Electro centre have it for £699 without stand so approx £799 with stand and try and get JL to price match that.
    (they are closed mondays)
    Might also be able to get the free dvd deal if I hurry.

Babydave, I went to comet so I could see them all lined up, tosh philips sony etc,
    Sony look sooo good. If I had £1400, i would get the 36" FS76.
    but i want a AV system so my budget is £1000 on tele and £300 on the pioneer 303 all in one.

11. Baby Dave

Baby Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the impression from you people that I should stick with Sony and find an alternative model if needs be, instead of going for an alternative make, ie Phily. Am I right?

The errors that you unfortunate people have experienced, was it instant as in as soon as you unpacked and kick started the ol' beast, or was it after a period of time?

Your opinions have been and will be appreciated :)

Opinions on other models would be appriciated as a plan B!!!!!

12. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I personally think the last two Toshibas have been the best looking tv's around (excluding Loewe's of course) They seem to be the only manufacturer offering anything different with their designs. It is obvious that the picture frame and stratas have been made to be wife/bird friendly. The strata's closed stand is especially neat as it hides the jungle of cables.
    You seem to want a 100Hz (according to your duplicate post) because you think you should. Have you actually seen it in action? From what i've seen, manufacturer implementations of it vary a great deal. 100hz on my strata flickers more than 50hz, as do some others. Best advice is to grab your dvd player and head down to JL and try out the various models. You will probably find very quickly the one you like. There is already loads of good advice and comments on here but you must decide for yourself.

I wish hifi components were as easy to pick.

edit-
    lots of tvs have problems - the stratas especially. try not to fill your head with bad points before you've seen them. if you can't see/hear any problems than they are not going to bother you even if they are there.

13. weeduggy

weeduggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0