32" Techwood: crappy junk or bargain?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Lord_Darkclaw, Apr 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Lord_Darkclaw

Lord_Darkclaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just placed an order for a Techwood LCD32722HD 32" on eBuyer, the price was amazingly low and all the reviews and comments give it the all-clear.
    But, I also remember a 32" Techwood (I think it was under the Techwood name) being sold in Woolworths last year that had a bloody awful reputation for having a bad picture, tinny sound and breaking down after a week.. and you know what customer service is like at Woolies. :suicide:

There are several recent threads about large screened Techwoods and similar budget TV's but not much in the way of conclusions about whether they are good value. I know some people say "don't buy crappy budget TV's, stick with trusted brand names - they're only a couple of grand" but ***, I DO NOT HAVE THAT MUCH MONEY!!!! :eek:

I had £300 to spend and originally I was going to buy a smaller TV around 20" to 23", but after a visit to Comet and Curry's I found that while I could buy a 19" or 20" for £200-£250, they are just too small - 20" just doesn't mean 20" these days! Width is 20 inches, but unlike the old CRT TV's the height is VERY variable and the average 20" LCD looks the size of an old 18" CRT, and the 26" TV's are just way too much money.

So, who's bought a Techwood?

2. EazyE

EazyE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Should have got a Hannspree.

3. Lord_Darkclaw

Lord_Darkclaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hanspree? I'll have to look that up. My parents need a new TV soon so I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap TV for them too.

4. Osamede

Osamede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Why not buy a used LCD or Plasma instead. For the same ££ you would get more value from money that, than the headache of a dodgy brand.

5. Lord_Darkclaw

Lord_Darkclaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I considered buying a used TV, but I've not had much luck with them.
    Most of the TV's advertised forsale in the Free Ads are way overpriced or not what they are claimed to be - a couple of years ago I went to look at a "widescreen 28" TV, 2 years old, originally £600... £150"

It was 6 or 7 years old if it was a day, a 26" and battered all to hell.
    Then there was one I bought for my parents from Cash Convertors; it broke down, I had to take it back (great fun lugging those things around) and get another one which they still have but the picture is totally up the creek.

The last good one I bought was a nice big 27" (CRT) Sanyo for my bedroom which was £25 and lasted for 2 years. Since then I've been watching a 14" portable.. I really miss a big screen!

I'm afraid that if I spent £300 on a used TV and it broke down I wouldn't get a penny back... I think I'd be saving perhaps £100 but with no guarantee.

6. djmetsandy

djmetsandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    the other way is ebay with a years guarantee...a lot cheaper and safe..suppose you may have to post back if it breaks down...but you did save £250?! lol