32" please, a lost cause?

FlyingFish

Established Member
Reaction score
So, having just decorated the bedroom, the Mrs now decides we (she) needs a better TV that does everything.
Currently its an LG 32" something or other that's sort of smart with a few apps, but in all honesty isn't supported any more by LG, runs slow at trying to be half smart, and the 'guide' function is the worst I've seen as it has no picture in picture, and mutes all the sound when using it. Wtf!!

It has a Roku stick plugged in to take up the slack but that itself is bloody slow and choppy, and of course needs another remote.

Now looking on here for some advice it would seem that the general consensus is that all 32" tv's are s**t, and anything below a billion inches is also not worth touching. :D

And yes anything over 32" would look stupid in our bedroom, sorry.

Soooo, is there actually something worth having that isn't too pricey, and is half good at what it does or would the best thing to have a set top box that takes over everything (if such a thing exists) TV,guide, catchup etc. And LG is just used for its screen and sound.

What do the experts say?

Cheers

You can probably configure your current TV to turn on and off with the Roku remote, or a Firestick remote or whatever you choose, bypassing the TV or the need for its own remote completely.

What you buy now will get you a model that will have better smart integrated, but picture quality won't be all that. Especially so since modern TVs tend to force HDR whether you like it or not.

LG do 32" models (LM prefix I think) that some people on here use and recommend. Should be fine for a bedroom TV.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure the Roku stick remote is that smart, in fact I don't think it's IR, it seems to use some other tech.
The stick itself plugs into the hdmi socket and the USB socket of the TV to power it. So needs the TV on to run.

Is there such a thing as a box that does everything? TV aerial, guide, catchup TV, prime, iplayer, Netflix etc? Only needs to be HD. 1080p

I'll do some Googling.

Ta

My bedroom LG 32LM6300 does everything you desire if you can still get one.
I think Disney Plus might be missing but I don’t have anyhow.

For sale here

Last edited:
I can get the LG 32LM6370PLA from Curry's for £249, is that the 2021 version of the 32LM6300?

We dont have Disney channel either :p

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure the Roku stick remote is that smart, in fact I don't think it's IR, it seems to use some other tech.
The stick itself plugs into the hdmi socket and the USB socket of the TV to power it. So needs the TV on to run.
The remote doesn't do the controlling, its done through HDMI CEC. The Roku tells the TV to turn on when its turned on, and off when its turned off. It also can adjust volume. Check your TV manual on how to enable CEC (LG call it SIMPLINK), then you can choose the settings on the Roku. If TV and Roku are very old its possible this isn't supported, but its been a feature for 10 years or so now.
Is there such a thing as a box that does everything? TV aerial, guide, catchup TV, prime, iplayer, Netflix etc? Only needs to be HD. 1080p
Fire TV cube, you use the same method the Roku can use (thing that I explained above) to let it control the TV. The Cube can support also changing channels of the built in tuner via HDMI CEC by using Alexa. eg 'Alexa, change to channel 4'.

If you're looking for something that is a PVR/Tuner box + catchup then Panasonic hold a license to sell PVR boxes that have both prime and Netflix together with Freeview play (for all uk catchup apps). This also supports HDMI CEC. For example; Panasonic DMRBWT850EB (Black)
I can get the LG 32LM6370PLA from Curry's for £249, is that the 2021 version of the 32LM6300?

They are the same TV, its not a new model, but for some reason has been refreshed with a new model number at Curry's. The trailing digits are just so they can sell their own without having to price match others. Prefix LM indicates 2019.

Are you sure it has all the catch up apps as post 2019 LGs were lacking apparently. Presumably it does but might be worth checking if that’s a reason to buy especially as Currys are poor with open box returns

Thanks for the helpful info, it's good to know. I like the look of the Panasonic pvr but it's out of budget. I didn't know hdmi was that smart I might have a play with that. Cheers.

I've now noticed a 3" hairline scratch across the bottom of the existing LG, so it's days are numbered I think ;)

I've had a look and I'm sure the LG 32LM6370PLA has the features we need, but I'll double check, as its looking like the best option at the moment.

Thanks for the input.
Mick

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom