1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

32 '' Plasma vs 30'' LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Cmcg, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Cmcg

Cmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this large screen TV game and am considering investing in a 32'' plasma or a 30'' LCD. I will be using it mostly for viewing sport , DVD film and regular TV. A few models that I have looked at are the :
    SONY KLV-30MR1 LCD
    SONY KE-32ts2E Plasma
    Philips30PF9975 LCD

Can anyone give me sound advice on this before I part with the hard earned reddies ??

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    generally plasma is better for fast moving but have a look at the sharp LC30HV4E superb LCD

3. Mike Hanrahan

Mike Hanrahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KLV 30MR1 mainly for the design, but it keeps intermittently going off for less than 1 second at a time and has been doing so for about 12 weeks. Sometimes it does not go off at all. The problem has been passed to Sony who are looking into the problem.
    My son has said it is "Picture drop", but I don't know what he is talking about. Does anybody else suffer with this problem?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    could be frame drop but that is usually alot less than 1 second what source are you using? Analogue or Sky or freeveiw???does it happen on all sources or just one ie analogue but fine with DVD?

5. Cmcg

Cmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the advice, also would you recomend plasma or LCD for using playstation2 ?
    Would you have any concerns about purchasing one of these TV's from an internet dealer ?
    thnx,
    Cmcg

6. Cmcg

Cmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike,
    Thnx for advice, Im seriously thinkin of buyin one of these and was wondering do you get any trailing on the screen when viewing fast moving action eg sport/ playstation use ?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Depends on dealer, Panny Plasma and sharp screens any fault is dealt with by manufacturer. Sharp are superb, bring a loan set out in most cases, just make sure you get a full UK model from reputable dealer.

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cmcg,

I also have the Sony 30" LCD and am generally pretty happy with it, I had a Pioneer 433HDE plasma before and was not happy at all with it and am not convinced that the new 434 is that much better.

The onboard de-interlacer is not the best though and I now run both my Sky+ box and my PS/2, GC & XBOX through an iScan Ultra which is a huge improvement IMO and also allows me to watch any source on either the TV or my HS10 PJ.

But yes it does suffer from image lag which is most noticable if you watch sports and especially snooker...the white ball can leave quite a trace when it's hit hard !!

But I don't watch sports...except F1/rallying/boxing which are all fine.

You can also pick it up if someone is waving or moving their hand quickly but this tends to only be on live/studio type shows and has not shown up in films or DVDs.

Films from the Sky movie channels generally look excellent and DVD playback from my Denon 2900 prog-scan player is also excellent.

I have not noticed any problems at all with the games consoles but as I said they have mainly been run through the iScan...before that the image would sort of breakup as if the on-board de-interlacer could not keep up and would appear stripy.

The big advantage of LCD over plasma is that screen burn is a non issue. When I had my plasma it was a worry especially when playing games or when the PC was connected - even the Sky+ on-screen stuff used to cause image persistance.

So...it's not perfect but then no plasma or LCD is at the moment and after looking around today at the newer Pioneer and Panasonic models I am still happy with what I have,

If you are local to the Hayes area you'd be welcome to come and have a look for yourself.

Cheers, Lee

9. Cmcg

Cmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

10. Cmcg

Cmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lee,
    Many thnx for your advice and kind invitation to have a look.
    I am based in Dublin, so unfortunately would be unable to call.
    regards,
    Colm.

11. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hayes middlesex or kent?
    :)

Phil

12. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Middlesex :smashin:

Cheers, Lee

13. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

30MR1 - Overpriced rubbish with a screen full of jagged images and actually made by LG. URGH! :nono:

32TS2E - Actually rather good. Excellent design and I've seen it on games and it looks great.

30PF9975 - Easily best 30" LCD on the market. PixelPlus looks horrid too close up, but incredible from the correct distance.
    PixelPlus is technology that really noticably works.

My advice would be to forget the above and actually buy or at least look at the Philips 32 inch plasma with PixelPlus.:clap:

14. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    My sister just got the KE32TS2 and the picture and style of the plasma is exceptional - I've seen some good discounted price around the £2500 mark.

15. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Spoken like a true Phillips salesman/woman. :laugh:

Far from being "rubbish" and IMO the 30MR1 is a class act esp using a decent feed. John Archers (respected on this forum) review in HC gives you a far better objective and skilled!! review.

Pixel plus is good but not everyone is happy with it, do a search on the forums.

16. LCD Man

LCD Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It a very nice TV, but you CANNOT correct the massive overscan set at the factory. I have one & the geometry is horrific. in wide mode everyones long & thin & it can't be corrected according to Sharp - AVOID.

17. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Actually I sell both Sony and Philips LCDs.

At work we used a £400 DVD player and a £180 component cable and still couldn't get a decent picture no matter what we did.
    Small movnments on screen were bad enough, but lots of fast movement - URGH! :(

Doesn't matter as plasma is easily superior to LCD.

18. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    In your opinion - to which you are entitled, but which it would be unreasonable for you to expect everyone else to share.